10x42 vs 12x50 Opinion!!!

FishxHunter

Hi There

We are normally too concerned about rifle scope but forgotten about binocular which has more usage at long range hunting....!!!!

Now would like to know your opinions why or which one of these zoom binos are better for hunting.

Thanks for any inputs

12s would no doubt be a bit better at long range and 8s better at short range but the best compromise is the 10s. I shoot alot of long range deer but sometimes still need them for closer in. 10s get the job done and there a bit steadier held off hand.

In an ideal world I'd have 3 sets, a 6x, a 10x, and a 15x or bigger, to be used tripod mounted. My 10x is as shaky as my old eyes can stand, and my 8x is a bit much in the cover looking for ears and antler tips.

Oh come on harperc, you ain't old, you are just much wiser.:D
Here is my system and for me it works great. I use a pair of Zeiss victory 8 x 25's around my neck for quick checks and they are just a little larger than a pack of cigarettes. I then carry a set of 12 x 50 vortex razor HD's in my pack and I use these for tripod glassing or to confirm things at longer ranges. The nice thing about 12's over 15's is that you can actually freehand them a whole lot better than 15's. And the vortex's are 28 ounces. There, that's my two cents worth..........:)

Randy

In an ideal world I'd have 3 sets, a 6x, a 10x, and a 15x or bigger, to be used tripod mounted. My 10x is as shaky as my old eyes can stand, and my 8x is a bit much in the cover looking for ears and antler tips.

I don't know about the streight bino's but I can comment on the Bushy Fusions in 12x50. I like them a whole lot. Get a quality harness because they are a bit on the heavy side. But I have ranged a cow at a mile and 12x is nice. If you buy the right harness off hand isn't bad either.gun):D

It depends on the area you hunt. I hunt in indiana, and we cant see past 500 yds very often and spend most of out time south of 100 yds. I tried 15x and they were horrible due to the FOV. I bought 10x and they are great. If I was hunting out west I would have a different opinion.

Also since we dont cover a ton of ground walking I prefer a 50mm obj. If I walked miles with them around my neck I might have a different view on that.

I think a quality 8x42 is better for an all around hunting bino, larger field of view,brighter, easier eye placement and easier to hold steady than a 10x42. Coupled with a good 50-65mm spotting scope in your pack you are good to go.
Use of the spotting scope is to judge quality of the animal/not to find the animals.

I also employ a 15x56 binocular when needed as it is the best tool for finding game if the conditions of the hunt allow its use.

The 12x does not fill any nich IMO.

I think a quality 8x42 is better for an all around hunting bino, larger field of view,brighter, easier eye placement and easier to hold steady than a 10x42. Coupled with a good 50-65mm spotting scope in your pack you are good to go.
Use of the spotting scope is to judge quality of the animal/not to find the animals.

I also employ a 15x56 binocular when needed as it is the best tool for finding game if the conditions of the hunt allow its use.

The 12x does not fill any nich IMO.

I completely agree. 8x42 binoculars are just right for most needs. I have one pair of 10x that I have to steady myself with. Unless a tripod is being used I would not recommend binoculars over 10x. At that point I would rather have a decent spotting scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.