10mm handgun

I already had a G21SF so commissioned a "build your own" Lone Wolf slide, then bought their slide completion kit. A couple of the parts like the extractor and striker liner seemed a bit cheap, so I upgraded those. I added a 6" KKM barrel, but asked them to cut it to 5.5" which gives me an inch more than factory but isn't hanging out too far for my taste. The slide had RMR cutouts so added a Trijicon RMR and mid height Night Fision backup sights. Total cost for everything was about $1250 or so, but it's a nice package and I can just switch uppers and mags. Of course it would have been way less if I had skipped the RMR, but it was the first I'd bought and wanted to try it on the new slide.

I put color coded Ghost, Inc. MOAB baseplates on the mags so I know which caliber mag is in the lower. I also bought gold and black rear slide plates that say "G20" and "G21" for an "At a glance" verification of the upper just in case I get confused. 😉. I'm a big fan of non-captive recoil springs and guide rods from Wolff Gunsprjngs, so went with a 20 lb spring IIRC, but bought a selection from factory weight up to 22 lb just in case. I like the Hornady 180 grain XTP. I had the slide cerakoted Sniper Grey, and just had 1911 style slide serrations as I wanted to retain as much weight as possible, but some of the options other than the stock Glock serrations were pretty cool so maybe I missed a bet there. While I was at it I had the lower stippled and trigger guard relieved, which made a huge difference in feel and shootability, especially with a heavy recoil, then went to a Ghost 3.5 connector, and did a .25 cent trigger job. I have a G29SF with extended baseplates, but it's a handful, and the larger frame pistol is obviously a better choice for hunting / woods carry.

The one thing I don't have yet is a good holster for it. I was thinking some kind of chest rig to stay off my waist as I have enough stuff there, but will have to do some research. Any thoughts on good carry options are welcome. I have Hogg IWB Kydex holsters for a G19 and G30S for CCW, but the G20 setup is really too large for anything like that.
I went with the NDZ 22lb spring. Haven't fired anything all that heavy out of it but didn't really act right using standard 180gr. Maybe they aren't heavy enough for the 22lb. Thinking I should only use the 22lb for the heavy hard cast or full house 200gr. Guess I'll have to trial it out.

That's crazy ! I want to try some Underwood Penetrators. I've been carrying Grizzly 220 gr. hardcast lately. Was using 200 gr. HSM hardcast. I was carring my Glock 20 every year but last year I found out my Springfield XDM 10mm shot the Grizzly's better. The Glock 20 10mm shoots the HSM better. I like the grip on the XDM a lot better. My hands aren't small but never cared for the fat grips on the Gen 1 thru 3. I just carry one 15 rd. mag and one in pipe.
I have diamond leather Alaskan cross chest holsters for both the glock 20 with an extra magazine and for the raging bull 454 with 5 extra rounds. I also have a speed loader for the 454, but not sure I would ever need it. My worse fear is coming across 4 or 5 large grizzly bears and making it out in one piece. My first choice is always my 338 rum, but walking out a trail in the dark makes the long gun a club. I guess I don't understand the people that can't hold a glock, maybe I have large hands, but for me it isn't an issue, just like the recoil of a 454 isn't an issue. I can say that double action isn't something I practice, I pull the hammer back and hit my target, just sayin. Watching the stuck in the rut video is eye opening! Last fall I was quartering a bull elk with the assisance of my Jeep headlights in major griz country and as I was leaning over cutting meat, my 454 fell out of my chest rig into the snow!!!! I did have the hammer strap off, but I wasn't expecting to drop my gun into a foot of snow.

Y'all crack me up talking so much about "fit" and "feel" and "grip angles"

A handgun is suppose to be comforting, not comfortable. You'd think you were picking out a new couch.

I by no means have large hands, and have no issues shooting the large frame Glocks.
If the grip angle is throwing you off so bad, spend about 10 min dry firing for a few days or a week and you'll be good. It is not a big deal at all.
Get your grip correct (high as possible with both hands) and your split times (follow up shots) will be far better than any magnum revolver.
Hits on target > caliber

Another point that perhaps should be considered:

* using a .454 dia. bullet vs a .401 …..The .454 has a 12% larger surface area.

* using a weight of let's say 310 grains @ 1200 mv in a 45LC (a bullet favored by John Linebaugh )…..yes in the anemic 45LC, for use on large and or dangerous game (easy exiting buffalo in field tests) vs the 220 grain favored by many in the 10 mm - the 45 bullet offers 29% greater bullet weight. This will equate to much deeper penetration for the 45.

* And for you "ft/lbs energy" folks: the 45LC with 310 has 990 vs the 10 mm with 705…..which equates to 29% greater energy for the 45 LC.

None of this accounts for the additional penetration given by the 45 …..which can hit/damage/destroy more bones/organs in that longer bullet travel path!

Granted, these are figures for a "custom" 45 LC revolver…..but, just think what a factory produced .454 Casull or a 480 Ruger has to offer vs the 10mm.

Add to this the greater reliability of the revolver in a contact situation could also factor into the comparison.

**** Please check my math, as I may have messed-up…..but, I think they're correct! memtb

Yes…..I'm stubborn and can't be fixed! 😉
The problem is people have enough trouble putting shot on target with those carltridges shooting at static targets much less under a stressful situation.

Also bigger diameter does. It always mean more penetration/damage; all things equal the smaller diameter bullet of equal construction will penetrate deeper due to higher SD.

Y'all crack me up talking so much about "fit" and "feel" and "grip angles"

A handgun is suppose to be comforting, not comfortable. You'd think you were picking out a new couch.

I by no means have large hands, and have no issues shooting the large frame Glocks.
If the grip angle is throwing you off so bad, spend about 10 min dry firing for a few days or a week and you'll be good. It is not a big deal at all.
Get your grip correct (high as possible with both hands) and your split times (follow up shots) will be far better than any magnum revolver.
Hits on target > caliber
So if I sat in a brand new truck and couldn't reach the pedals...... if I just cowboy'd up and drove it enough I would magically be able to reach the pedals.
That's excellent advice, we are so lucky you are here to save us from the terrible mistake of buying something that fits.
Maybe next you can fit me for a suit.
Even condoms come in different sizes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Because you are supposed to shoot neutered 10mm loads in the DE. Plus it's a 1911 and I want the reliability and extra capacity of a Glock.
Don't know where you were told you had to shoot "neutered" loads. I've had my Delta for over 30 years and i've only shot regular loads in it and it's still hanging in there. Granted, I don't shoot extensively with it. I use it, not abuse it. I even have some heavy loads for my .45 ACP. If I want lighter loads, I'll use my .40 Short&Weak or my 9mm. Realisticly, you only need max loads for hunting or self defense. Practice with reduced loads and use full power for tune ups prior for hunting. Much more comfortable and your fire arm will last longer. Also, I don't like polygonal rifling. I only use factory jacketed ammo for self defense because prosecutors in my state consider hand loads pre meditated assault. Go figure! I feel that cast bullets do not perform well in polygonal rifling. I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively in all my center fire auto loaders except for my .22 TCM and my self defense loads. I agree with some prior people in this forum. Shoot every 10mm you can find, keep the one you like and get rid of rest. Personally, if i'm going to use a handgun for big game, I'll use my .357, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, or .45 Colt revolvers. If I use my Contender, I'll use my .30 or .357 Herrett, 7 TCU, or .357 Max. My XP 100 7mm BR is no slouch either. I'll carry my 10 mm for a back up while hunting, but it is not my preferred big game hunting handgun.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have a G40, IMO you'd have to have really small hands to no be able to shoot it. I'm 5' 10", around 175lbs with average size hands and have no issues shooting it.

When I was looking for a 10mm none of the gun stores local to me had one. After much reading, I had a friend of mine order the G40. Until we opened the box at the store, I'd never had a Glock in my hands. At home I loaded it up with handloads and went to work. Some guys are naturals, they just pick up a pistol and shoot it well. That's not me, I have to put a lot of work in to shoot a pistol well.

After our trip last year I gave the Glock a good cleaning, loaded it up with home defense rounds and put it in my nightstand drawer. It hasn't been fired since, not any four legged bears or mountain lions where I live, and I have other pistols that I carry for the two legged critters.

So if I sat in a brand new truck and couldn't reach the pedals...... if I just cowboy'd up and drove it enough I would magically be able to reach the pedals.
That's excellent advice, we are so lucky you are here to save us from the terrible mistake of buying something that fits.
Maybe next you can fit me for a suit.
Even condoms come in different sizes. 🤷🏼‍♂️
You're telling me you can't physically reach the trigger on a large frame Glock? Do you have very small hands? I just can't see that. I'm 5'9" 135lbs, smaller than most adult males, my hands are not disproportionately large, I have zero issues with a large frame Glock. Yes it's chunky, you'll be ok.

Similarly most adults can reach the pedals in any truck.

I may not be the most experienced pistol shooter with a semi-auto pistol or revolver but if a gun don't fit me well I pass on it.
I shot Silhouette local matches back in the 1970's, never attended a national match as I had to work.No medals or blue ribbons but some experience with many hand guns and if a hand gun don't feel right I pass.Feel/fit helps me get on target faster.
I had an old S&W 38 Chiefs Special that I could not shoot well because the grips were too small and it floated in my hands.Smaller handed folks shot it better than I did.
I envey a person that can pick up any hand gun and shoot it well,I can't do that and it seem's others have the same thing that has happened to them.

The problem is people have enough trouble putting shot on target with those carltridges shooting at static targets much less under a stressful situation.

Also bigger diameter does. It always mean more penetration/damage; all things equal the smaller diameter bullet of equal construction will penetrate deeper due to higher SD.

Correct….if the end user insists upon using lightweight bullets in the big bore firearms. Hopefully, not all that want a handgun for bear defense are that inept!

Again your correct……It is all about sectional density.

Hence the reason that the bullets I'm running through my 460 are around BHN 18 and weighing 400 grains. I expect that end to end penetration is possible on most anything I'll encounter! memtb

Last edited:
I'll stick with my grizzly semi auto 45 win mag! Shoot 255 hard cast at 1750 fps with 25 grains of 296. Most people never herd of it, but very well made here in utah.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230223_144209_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230223_144209_Chrome.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 18