10mm handgun

1911ish grip. Why not a 1911. I have a Delta Elite. Love it.
Toe to toe …a greater number of shooters will be able to get a greater number of hits on target in less time with a Glock than a 1911 platform shooting 10mm.
Glock puts the bore axis lower in the hand for better recoil control and faster recovery….this feature is one of many that the other gun manufacturers copied…it's a proven advantage…and a legitimate response to "why not a 1911".
I'm sure your Delta serves you well…but the bore axis thingy does matter.

I don't live in Bear country and I don't want to be chewed on by one. Listen to this podcast of a bear attack survivor that emptied his Glock 20 on a bear. If he would have only had six rounds he wouldn't have survived.

In the end all handguns suck for Bear defense. I'd rather have a lot more opportunities to make one or all shots count than to empty a big revolver and then be helpless.

The podcast starts slow but gets very intense when the action starts. It's worth a listen.

I haven't watched the video…..so at this point, I'm talking out my behind. But, how many of those rounds were placed where needed…..or was it a case of "spray and pray"?

If a person doesn't think they can control their emotions and act with some degree of composure…..perhaps they have no business placing themselves in such an environment!

I still contend that, I much prefer one, well placed, high horsepower ,heavy, large diameter bullet ……over relying upon filling the atmosphere with bullets hoping for one to find it's mark!

But, that's just me! memtb

One more thing! I've done the heavy daypack, handgun, and rifle thing……When I was younger and in pretty darn good shape. A hard day of walking in rough terrain, left you pretty wasted by nightfall.

Cutting weight helped a great deal. As I hunt with my rifle in my hands, and not on my back, as much as I love my handguns…..the logical decision was to dump the handgun.

The only time that my rifle may be on my back would be in open country in which a Prairie Dog would have difficulty hiding or in the very unlikely event that I must use both hands to make a near vertical climb.

So…..in limited visibility, do ya carry the rifle on your back while holding the handgun in your hand? 🤦‍♂️ Or, carry the rifle on your back, with handgun holstered….thinking that you're "Quickdraw McGraw"!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

As many have said, for pure effectiveness on large dangerous animals …..a rifle will trump a handgun. Well, with the possible exception of the tiny cartridges that many here prefer….vs. a powerful, big bore handgun! 😉 memtb

I forgot to add photos of g40

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-093502-710.png
    Screenshot_20240407-093502-710.png
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240407-093437-595.png
    Screenshot_20240407-093437-595.png
    464.5 KB · Views: 19
Wandered the Yaak-Cabinet -Vermillion eco for aloonng time! Even when FWP said only 1 grizz here! only thing i can say to that is must of had a good hair dresser there waayyy more humpys in them hills than that. Hunt alone most of the time keeps the attention rather keen!

Another point that perhaps should be considered:

* using a .454 dia. bullet vs a .401 …..The .454 has a 12% larger surface area.

* using a weight of let's say 310 grains @ 1200 mv in a 45LC (a bullet favored by John Linebaugh )…..yes in the anemic 45LC, for use on large and or dangerous game (easy exiting buffalo in field tests) vs the 220 grain favored by many in the 10 mm - the 45 bullet offers 29% greater bullet weight. This will equate to much deeper penetration for the 45.

* And for you "ft/lbs energy" folks: the 45LC with 310 has 990 vs the 10 mm with 705…..which equates to 29% greater energy for the 45 LC.

None of this accounts for the additional penetration given by the 45 …..which can hit/damage/destroy more bones/organs in that longer bullet travel path!

Granted, these are figures for a "custom" 45 LC revolver…..but, just think what a factory produced .454 Casull or a 480 Ruger has to offer vs the 10mm.

Add to this the greater reliability of the revolver in a contact situation could also factor into the comparison.

**** Please check my math, as I may have messed-up…..but, I think they're correct! memtb

Yes…..I'm stubborn and can't be fixed! 😉

Last edited:
One more thing! I've done the heavy daypack, handgun, and rifle thing……When I was younger and in pretty darn good shape. A hard day of walking in rough terrain, left you pretty wasted by nightfall.

Cutting weight helped a great deal. As I hunt with my rifle in my hands, and not on my back, as much as I love my handguns…..the logical decision was to dump the handgun.

The only time that my rifle may be on my back would be in open country in which a Prairie Dog would have difficulty hiding or in the very unlikely event that I must use both hands to make a near vertical climb.

So…..in limited visibility, do ya carry the rifle on your back while holding the handgun in your hand? 🤦‍♂️ Or, carry the rifle on your back, with handgun holstered….thinking that you're "Quickdraw McGraw"!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

As many have said, for pure effectiveness on large dangerous animals …..a rifle will trump a handgun. Well, with the possible exception of the tiny cartridges that many here prefer….vs. a powerful, big bore handgun! 😉 memtb
I use shoulder sling for rifle. Shoulder holster for pistol, bear spray, rangefinder connected to shoulder holster. 6 in. Straight blade either on belt or on shoulder holster.

I use shoulder sling for rifle. Shoulder holster for pistol, bear spray, rangefinder connected to shoulder holster. 6 in. Straight blade either on belt or on shoulder holster.
I used to use things mounted on shoulder strap or other parts of the pack. Now I only use chest mounted gun, binos or any other piece of equipment that I will need in case if emergency. If I take the pack off I don't have those things if emergency happens.

Toe to toe …a greater number of shooters will be able to get a greater number of hits on target in less time with a Glock than a 1911 platform shooting 10mm.
Glock puts the bore axis lower in the hand for better recoil control and faster recovery….this feature is one of many that the other gun manufacturers copied…it's a proven advantage…and a legitimate response to "why not a 1911".
I'm sure your Delta serves you well…but the bore axis thingy does matter.
That bore axis "thingy" is a great point, it is approximately 1/4" (3/4" G20 1" 1911) which will help with muzzle flip. However if you measure a G20 / 21 along side of a 1911 you will see the triggers are both approximately 1.5" from bore line, no difference here except the 1911 fits most hands better with it's dimensions than the G20. And as for toe to toe shooting, see what Gunsite would say about that.

Another point that perhaps should be considered:

* using a .454 dia. bullet vs a .401 …..The .454 has a 12% larger surface area.

* using a weight of let's say 310 grains @ 1200 mv in a 45LC (a bullet favored by John Linebaugh )…..yes in the anemic 45LC, for use on large and or dangerous game (easy exiting buffalo in field tests) vs the 220 grain favored by many in the 10 mm - the 45 bullet offers 29% greater bullet weight. This will equate to much deeper penetration for the 45.

* And for you "ft/lbs energy" folks: the 45LC with 310 has 990 vs the 10 mm with 705…..which equates to 29% greater energy for the 45 LC.

None of this accounts for the additional penetration given by the 45 …..which can hit/damage/destroy more bones/organs in that longer bullet travel path!

Granted, these are figures for a "custom" 45 LC revolver…..but, just think what a factory produced .454 Casull or a 480 Ruger has to offer vs the 10mm.

Add to this the greater reliability of the revolver in a contact situation could also factor into the comparison.

**** Please check my math, as I may have messed-up…..but, I think they're correct! memtb
I'm not to sure on the penetration thing. Depends on bullets. A 150 gr. Underwood Penetrator would blow a 45 cal Hardcast away. The revolver/six shots verse the semi auto/15 + shots will go on forever like Ford or Chevy or even Dodge 😉 you have to give up something. I don't want ro carry my 8 in barreled S&W 460 or Ruger SR 454 because of weight , recoil and only 5 shots in the XVR. Yes I would rather hit a bear or whatever with a 350 gr. Hard cast gas checked FN Beartooth (what I use) than a 220 or 200 hardcast 40 cal/10mm But... I have less Recoil. Quicker back on target . I have more rounds incase I don't stop or kill it. And weighs at least half the weight. Easy decision for me. The muzzle blast from the 460, 454 or even a 44 mag may help scare the bear away if you miss.😉 The only two things concern me with the auto is if the bear gets you on the ground.
The slide may get pushed out of battery. Especially if you shove it into the bear by chance and you could accidentally hit mag release. Last Oct. I'm pretty sure I could of got off 3 good shots on that Griz. He was down hill that was fairly steep at 24 yards. When he left and if would of come up the trail further he would of been about 50 to 60 yds. level ground. I think I'd of been spraying bear spray and shooting if he was on top. If came up the hill I'd of used pistol only and with two hands. My buddy had his 10mm out also. So we'd of had a little firefight going.
Here's looking at you ! The first pic is near the North Fork Shoshone River while fishing. Its zoomed in so looks close. He was about 100 yds or so away. The last two while hunting North Fork last Oct. Not zoomed in.
60802.jpeg

Screenshot_20240213_122112_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_122553_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Above and beyond all of the debate, and I think/hope that we can all agree on these two things: We hope to never find out which is best, and if it does….We hope to get off at least one round!

It doesn't matter what you have….if you don't have time to touch the trigger! 🙂

Oh, I certainly can't argue about the weight or the loss if agility with the 8" 460. It's not a good choice for a back-up handgun.

It's pretty much a "hunting handgun" and nothing more. Though, if you're hunting with it…..it should be a pretty good "stopping" cartridge!

If you don't have to do a fast draw with it! 😂 memtb

Last edited:
Did you Wyoming guys get hammered by snowstorm yesterday? We got at least 6 inches or more. But what sucked was the wind. Up to 80 mph gusts and blowing snow. Most melted pretty quick later on. A little breezy today. Might snow a little later today for awhile.
That's the weather report from here ! (Late).

Above and beyond all of the debate, and I think/hope that we can all agree on these two things: We hope to never find out which is best, and if it does….We hope to get off at least one round!

It doesn't matter what you have….if you don't have time to touch the trigger! 🙂

Oh, I certainly can't argue about the weight or the loss if agility with the 8" 460. It's not a good choice for a back-up handgun.

It's pretty much a "hunting handgun" and nothing more. Though, if you're hunting with it…..it should be a pretty good "stopping" cartridge!

If you don't have to do a fast draw with it! 😂 memtb
I carried the 460 while whitetail hunting last year. I was sitting though and was only going to use it for a shorter range shot. I have a Sig red dot on it. I took of thr old Burris 2x7 scope.
Oh , and I guess I'll agree with you 😁