10mm handgun

Off the rails and happy! Stagger 00 and slugs. Good for trout (or salmon) and bears.
My expertise is derailing! I have an AR12 . A Citadel Boss 500 with a red dot. Lots of 5 and 10 round mags . Have a 20 round drum mag. It's loaded for the apopoclipse probably too much for fish. Would be wicked on a griz if you had the advantage. Alternating slugs and 00 buck. It's a handful to shoot but the destruction is fun. Have an AR15, AR10 and a AR22. Don't shoot them much lately.

Last edited:
Can you put yourself in the shoes of the person who shot that bear right between the eyes and realized that it didn't kill him?

Anytime you fight using a gun you're in a gunfight…
Gunfighting Rule #1: Have a gun.
Gunfighting Rule #2: Have enough gun.

IMHO, there are others, but those two are the most important.

Ed
Yes, there are others. ;) Cheers

Gun Fight Rule.png

115 9 mm is definitely suboptimum. I think a 200 gr hard cast 10mm is a significant upgrade. Even a 147 gr controlled expansion 9 mm has better sectional density and penetration. I am in the 'whatever you will carry constantly and be proficient with is the best option' camp, but if I was anticipating a life or death encounter with a bear my choices start with a 12 g and go up (and I prefer a 30-06 and bigger).

In a pistol, I'd carry a 10 mm or bigger with appropriate ammunition. 115 gr 9mm FMJ or expanding ammo is not bear appropriate IMO.

I do find my 14" barreled Remington 870 a bit of a burden to carry, not always quickly accessible etc. so often carry just bear spray. I wish I could carry a 10mm pistol - open or concealed - seems like an ideal choice when there is a low chance of a bear encounter or as a backup to keep on you at all times.

Since we are on the subject I thought, OK... I'll bring it back a little... Here's an interesting interview with Shoemaker, the Alaska guide who popped that Brown Bear with a 9mm 147gr hard cast from Buffalo Bullets 😲, he stated the velocity at something over 1300 fps, I think he meant 1100 fps that's what Buffalo Bullets states on the box. Cheers.

Since we are on the subject I thought, OK... I'll bring it back a little... Here's an interesting interview with Shoemaker, the Alaska guide who popped that Brown Bear with a 9mm 147gr hard cast from Buffalo Bullets 😲, he stated the velocity at something over 1300 fps, I think he meant 1100 fps that's what Buffalo Bullets states on the box. Cheers.

I listened to this as a podcast. Very informative interview with Phil Shoemaker by Ron Spomer. Phil's been guiding brown bear hunts for 40 years so has some relevant experience.

Recent Posts