10mm handgun

After ad nauseam number of threads on pistoleers with charging bears, has anyone truly thought out typical circumstances of a griz charge?

Open area? Use rifle. Done

In tight dense areas where nobody wants to be with a griz? Griz can accelerate to 40mph easily. Visually do you have 20yds? 30yds? 40yds?

Bear runs close to 60fps (20yds per sec).

If you do not have pistol out, interpret whats happening, draw and shoot in 1-2 seconds?

Good luck. JMO
You left out the parts about getting vital CNS hits or breaking really large bones and multiple shots in that 2-3 seconds…if you're lucky! 😁

I've witnessed three DLP (Defense of Life or Property) bear killings that were done with a handgun and have been involved in several incidents with big bears that wanted to get the meat I was either packing out or I was removing from the carcass of the animal that I had just killed.

All of those events took mere moments to unfold.

Ed

After ad nauseam number of threads on pistoleers with charging bears, has anyone truly thought out typical circumstances of a griz charge?

Open area? Use rifle. Done

In tight dense areas where nobody wants to be with a griz? Griz can accelerate to 40mph easily. Visually do you have 20yds? 30yds? 40yds?

Bear runs close to 60fps (20yds per sec).

If you do not have pistol out, interpret whats happening, draw and shoot in 1-2 seconds?

Good luck. JMO

This is essentially what I've been trying to express since this topic began!

Using your scenario……..exactly where does having a high capacity magazine and a back-up magazine come into play!

The "attackee" will be very fortunate to fire one or two "semi-accurate" shots in your scenario!

Thank You for supplying some math to clearly illustrate the misconception pertaining to having lots of rounds available for the ensuing "firefight"! 😉 memtb

What shot size do you use for trout ?😆

Now we're entering my area of expertise! 😜 My preferred "trout load" is a 285 grain cast bullet @ approximately 1600 mv. 🤪

Works great on Brookies….ya just have to wait a bit for the muddy water to clear to locate your kill! 🙀

Use a method similar to shooting ducks sitting on the water, ya don't try to hit the game……just get very close! 😉 memtb

How do you aim it or just wait until it's clos3 enough to shoot from the hip. I actually posted to kinda funny . I guess.
Yeah, I get the funniness of humor, just thought it might be a... ok.. what if question. 🤔 ;)😂 and has anyone ever tried slugs in one of those, Mossberg 590 Shockwave just for the fun of it, or we could look at something like this, now this is the wheels leaving the tracks! ;) Cheers

1712871107994.png

Yeah, I get the funniness of humor, just thought it might be a... ok.. what if question. 🤔 ;)😂 and has anyone ever tried slugs in one of those, Mossberg 590 Shockwave just for the fun of it, or we could look at something like this, now this is the wheels leaving the tracks! ;) Cheers

View attachment 563170
Even at noon on a cloudless day that muzzle blast would blind you, singe whatever facial/head hair you had, and leave you with no heirs! 😱🤪😁

Ed

Formerly from Sabot Technologies but Rich Knoster passed in Covid. Was bought out by guy in TX. Praying he goes live shortly since what you see is what I have left. Incredibly accurate out of my 870 26" Hastings bull barrel, Remington Thumbhole stock set, barrel torqued to receiver, and Timney trigger upgrade 2.5lb. Honest to goodness 1-2" groups at 100 yds with a flying concrete block! When you hit a deer their legs literally buckle from the shock. Great close range get your attention load!

Steel roll crimp from Ballistic Products along with their shell holder. Drill press with set to stop at COAL to insure common wad pressure. Plus other little tweaks.

Now we're entering my area of expertise! 😜 My preferred "trout load" is a 285 grain cast bullet @ approximately 1600 mv. 🤪

Works great on Brookies….ya just have to wait a bit for the muddy water to clear to locate your kill! 🙀

Use a method similar to shooting ducks sitting on the water, ya don't try to hit the game……just get very close! 😉 memtb
Not bullets. Shot ! The concussion/shock might scramble their brains tho. In 1993 on a drop camp Colorado elk Hunt. A buddy and I were heading back to camp at dark the night before season opened. We were hearing gun shots. Came up on two guys by the creek. One holding a flashlight and the other shooting at trout with a pistol. My buddy was a state park Ranger. Law enforcement with a badge. I asked them what in the fck are you doing. The one said fishing ! I asked where the fck are you from ? Both our rifles were loaded and safeties off. I don't remember the southern state they said but I said hey hillbilly. This is Colorado. Do you want Game and Fish crawling all over here looking for elk/deer poachers at night, spot lighting ? My buddy flashed his badge and said get the fck out of here or I will contact a game warden and we'll hold you here under arrest until they get here. They walked off. The next evening we saw them wandering around. They said their rental horses ran off. I LOL ! I said you ought to go back from where you came from hillbilly . My buddy and I killed nice bull's opening morning and day after. Lots more to that story but this is long enough. 🙄