100yd sight in for 600yd zero?

jmeier1981

Can anyone give me an idea of how high I should be at 100yds if I want a 600yds zero???

Gun in question is a .223 shooting 69g sierra matchkings, id estimate them to be somewhat close to the 2850fps that black hills advertises them at.

Just trying to save a little time getting a 600yd zero and was hoping someone could give me an idea how high to be at 100yds to atleast be on paper at 600yds, thanks

Why not just zero at a hundred and dial your scope to the 600 yard dope for your load?

I would recomend a Zero @ 100 yards and then shoot at 200 or 300 using the same hold.
This will tell you the true trajectory of your load (Or Close) then using the ballistic tables
and your 200 yard drop you should be able to print paper @ 600 yards.

I still like getting as many Zero's at different yardages as possible but some ranges only have 100,200, and 300 yard ranges so you have to use whats available.

Once you establish a good 600 yard zero the ballistic tables will help to find the 1000 yard +
distances because you now know the true velocity and Ballistic coefficient instead of what the
bullet maker claims.

J E CUSTOM

I'd zero at 100 yds and shoot drop charts at 3,4,and 500 yds to get a precise numbers to work with. Barrels vary in speed and rarely match manufacturer's velocities. There is always some fine tuning to be done.
Good Luck!

I don't have a scope with resettable turrets, and I'm just trying to get a gun set up for a 600yd match so that's the only zero I need... I was just looking for a good starting point at 100yds so that I will be in the ball park when I move to the 600yd line and fine tune the zero. I'm not looking for an exact 600yd zero from a 100yd sight in... ill do an exact 600yd zero from 600yds I was just hoping to save a little time and ammo by having it close when I hit the 600yd line

I don't have a scope with resettable turrets, and I'm just trying to get a gun set up for a 600yd match so that's the only zero I need... I was just looking for a good starting point at 100yds so that I will be in the ball park when I move to the 600yd line and fine tune the zero. I'm not looking for an exact 600yd zero from a 100yd sight in... ill do an exact 600yd zero from 600yds I was just hoping to save a little time and ammo by having it close when I hit the 600yd line

Still, you can zero at 100 and use a ballistics chart to tell you how many clicks from zero to adjust to your desired range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts