100yd or 200yd zero?

Its cool I'm pretty thick skinned, some bullets and rifles need the extra 100m to stabilize. I think you have gotten very luck if your 100m load performs the same at 1000m. Not everyone owns a chrono and is knowledgeable enough about them to use is for load work up.

ICANHITHIMMAN,

Thanks for the reply. I have never thought about that. I always just used the info gathered from the chrony and then the group size at 100 and then seen how it preformed at longer ranges. It is definately something to consider, especially with some of the VLD type projectiles. The one thing that I can say though is that when I have had a load combination with a small SD and low ES and it shoots at 100, It has always shot for me at longer ranges. Maybe it is just my luck as you have said. By the way, I wasnt poking at you, I was poking at the jacked up set up that someone has.

Pics..

Vortex viper pst 6-24-50
TPS xtra low rings
EGW .20 Moa base
Brand new 5r mil spec .308

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
So tell me, when you shoulder the rifle and the scope is at full magnification do you have any issues obtaining the eyebox without having to get up on the scope?

The reason I say that is because it appears to me that the scope is sitting a bit forward in the mounts but then, you might have a short length of pull.....

You want the eye box at full magnification to be in full view when you have the best cheek weld on the stock rise without having to move your head to obtain the field of view, something that has to be done on a shooting mat if you shoot prone or on a bench if you shoot benchrest or in a different position if you shoot offhand.

From the pictures we can't tell if the horizontal cross hair is parallel with the base and the receiver, only you can do that.

I don't see any telltale thread locker (which will leave a glossy film around the screw heads or if you pull a mounting screw,goo on the threads themselves). The ring gap looks to be pretty equal on both sides but were they torqued to specification and progressively? Finally, was the rail purchased after the rifle or did the rail come with the rifle, already mounted? I'm always suspect of the rail to receiver mount. Like I said previously, I've found almost every one on my rifles to be loose from the factory. I like to torque the rail screws to 25 inch pounds with thread locker on the threads and a bit of thread locker between the rail and the top of the receiver to insure it don't move at all.

Typical torque on the ring mounting screws will be from 25-35 inch pounds, progressively, with thread locker again, keeping a close eye on the upper to lower ring gaps to insure they are equal.

Finally, while I have no issue with an Evolution Gun Works (EGW) rail, some on here have had issues with a poor rail to receiver match, that is, the underside radius of the rail don't match the radius of the receiver.

If it was me, I'd put the rifle in a gun vise (like a Tipton) and pull the scope, the rings and the rail all the while looking for thread locker on the threads. I'd make sure the rail radius matches the receiver contour (radius) and remount the rail to the receiver using thread locker and the proper torx bit with a torque indicating tool like a Wheeler Fat Wrench.

Then reset the rings and locktite the ring mounts and torque to 30-35 inch pounds. Set the upper ring halves on with a 30mm lapping bar and compound and tighten the ring mount screws to where the lapping bar has resistance and lap the bores, removing enough material to provide a new bearing surface for the scope. Pull the upper halves, clean the lapping compound off the rings and set the scope in the lower halves and adjust your eyebox to where at maximum magnification, you have a clear field of view in the most comfortable for you shooting position. I mark the scope tube with a witness mark (paint marker) for later alignment.

Then you need to level and align the cant. I use precision machinist levels but I understand there are other tools you can use. I set the rifle level in the gun vise with a level across the rail (or receiver if there is a flat area perpendicular to the action) and get the rifle tight in the gun vise. The I set the scope in the lower halves (paying attention to the witness mark for the eyebox) and install the upper halves and just snug down the screws so you can rotate the scope without moving the rifle. Set a level on the top of the upper turret and center the bubble. The cross hair is now on a level plane with the receiver and the vertical cross hair is at 90 degrees to the centerline of the receiver.

Apply a bit of thread locker to the mounting screws and progressively torque them in an X pattern to 25-35 inch pounds (depending on the screw diameter)( the spec can be obtained from the ring manufacturer btw.).... The boresight using the old standby laser boresighter or pull the bolt and sight through the bore at a dot on the wall, centering the dot in the bore and clicking the scope cross hairs to center the dot as well. I use a cheapo muzzle laser. That gets me on paper. the rest is at the range.

Finally, before you mount the scope, pull the upper turret and remove all the C-shaped shims. Thats the Vortex zero stop. That scope should have plenty of elevation and windage adjustment to compensate for manufacturing tolerances in the rail and ring sets. I have the same scope on my 338 and I have plenty of extra adjustment. I too have an EGW rail in 20 MOA cant.

I use 232 blue medium strength threadlocker.

No box store gun shop will do what I described above. They don't know how and if they do, it takes too long and time is money. Your time is cheap plus you want it done right. They care less.

Nice looking piece BTW. One I'd never let anyone else fool with.....

I'm sure there are other ways to skin the same cat, thats just my way that works for me and I've mounted a buch of scopes for myself and friends, in fact, my friends all have me do the mounting because they know its right the first time. I leave nothing to chance and I have the tools to do it.

The first thing you need to do is check that rail for contour and proper torque of the mounting screws. Thats going to be the prime suspect. Always start at the foundation and work up. No building is worth a hoot with a poor foundation.

Do everything he said, It was not what I thought I was going to see and I'm pleased.:D As said before the scope should have more than enough adjustment. Bed the base and the stock while you ate it to.gun)

I'm honored. I actually typed it out and stated it right... Not bad for a 63 years old, half blind, bald headed fart.....

Thanks.

I'm curious whats under the elevation turret....how many shims are in there, if any and I suspect they are in there......

If the OP needs shims, Vortex sells them in extra packs and I have quite a few laying around.

I'm honored. I actually typed it out and stated it right... Not bad for a 63 years old, half blind, bald headed fart.....

Thanks.

I'm curious whats under the elevation turret....how many shims are in there, if any and I suspect they are in there......

If the OP needs shims, Vortex sells them in extra packs and I have quite a few laying around.

He might have had the windage if he had zeroed at 200 LOL

Pics..

Vortex viper pst 6-24-50
TPS xtra low rings
EGW .20 Moa base
Brand new 5r mil spec .308

I have the exact same rifle, rings (mine are Lows, not ex low), and the same base. My Konus M30 ran out of top elevation, too. I went to Midway last week and ordered another EGW base, but this time it's a 0 MOA base and when looking through my bore-sighter, everything looks excellent. I should have just enough upward elevation to 0 @ 100, which will leave me 45 MOA of downward adjustment. So, now I have a 0 and a 20 MOA base I can use if I need it.

Just food for thought...

It's odd we have the same setups and different scopes, yet we have the same problem.

.....but his windage issue has something to do with the mounting, Either in the base and the mount to the receiver or the rings or the rings to the rail relationshiup. I won't rule out the scope but I' hjave 4 Vipers and none of them has had any issue with tracking, in fact, they track the square box quite nicely, something I like to do when dialing in just to see if the elevation/windage adjustments work as indicated.

I just believe a competent 'tune up' of the mounting and rough bore sight will cure the issues.

.....but his windage issue has something to do with the mounting, Either in the base and the mount to the receiver or the rings or the rings to the rail relationshiup. I won't rule out the scope but I' hjave 4 Vipers and none of them has had any issue with tracking, in fact, they track the square box quite nicely, something I like to do when dialing in just to see if the elevation/windage adjustments work as indicated.

I just believe a competent 'tune up' of the mounting and rough bore sight will cure the issues.
Agreed

OK, my 2 cents.. I generally agree with everything stated: a couple issues though –

I have suspect the windage is off due to the rifle's scope mounting holes are out of alignment with the bore centerline, I'd believe this normally would not be a problem with a 5R, however, it's a thought.
If the screw hole taps are out of alignment you may not want to loctite the base down at this point now that you know yo have a problem.. Try drymounting everything to about 90% AFTER EVERYTHING ELSE IS METICULOUSLY CHECKED..then, boresight at 50 yds and check scope's line of sight, if its off paper (you see paper through bore, but crosshairs not on paper), you may indeed have the mounting screw holes out of alignment, fire a few shots first to dbl check.. there is no 'quick fix' for this..

Nobody mentioned (I don't think) about mechanically centering your scope . Do it first before anything. (check out swfa's site & forum for good info). If the erector is messed up you may need sending it back or if it was damaged by 'pizza boy' then you may have a very expensive useless optical ornament on your hands.. (during boresighting and scope line of sighting, and during your first few shots at 50 yds you aren't seeing it track at all, you have a messed up tube – assuming you're on paper).. there are plenty of videos on zeroing properly, see swfa, Midway USA and also u-toob websites..
Also, check you mounted the base correctly, (not backwards). :rolleyes:

Good luck.
Lever

Ps. here's a link , its well worth reading through carefully as well as other areas on the site..
[FONT=&quot]Out of adjustment, is my scope broke? - The Optics Talk Forums[/FONT]

I ordered a new 0 moa TPS steel rail on tuesday and should be here friday. I hope the tube is not bent! Im gonna take everything apart this weekend, lap the rings and hopefully get to shoot on sunday. I have looked at everything and nothing appears to be off.. I would think that it if the scope was crooked or something from the screws being off alignment or the rail being jacked up enough for that scope to run out of windage I would be able to see it but it???

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.