1000 yard .308

jsthntn247

I just got some 215 hybrids to try in the .308. I plan on trying to work up a load with Varget over the next few weeks for shooting 1000 yard matches. My goal is 2550 fps and .25 moa accuracy at 300, which is as far as I can practice. I've read a few post on here about folks using the heavies in a 308 but mostly with rl-17. It can be 110 with the heat index some days in July and August so I'm really wanting to stay with a temp stable powder. I figured I would start around 40.5 and work up to around 43 and see what happens. I'll try and post results.

I just got some 215 hybrids to try in the .308. I plan on trying to work up a load with Varget over the next few weeks for shooting 1000 yard matches. My goal is 2550 fps and .25 moa accuracy at 300, which is as far as I can practice. I've read a few post on here about folks using the heavies in a 308 but mostly with rl-17. It can be 110 with the heat index some days in July and August so I'm really wanting to stay with a temp stable powder. I figured I would start around 40.5 and work up to around 43 and see what happens. I'll try and post results.
I'm shooting pretty warm loads with 210 Bergers and Varget, and only getting around 2350 fps... I also have a 24" 11.25" twist 5R barrel. It's not the fastest load, but it's shooting 5 into the same ragged hole @ 100 yards.

I wouldn't start anywhere NEAR 40.5gr for that bullet weight. Trying to start overly hot is how people end up blowing crap up.

I'd start around 38.5 and work up from there.

In Mississippi but usually shoot near New Orleans. Mudrunner what is your coal for the 210's? With the 215's seated at the lands my coal is 3.100 Which leaves the pressure ring of the bullet .030 ahead of the neck/shoulder junction.

I just doped my h4350 load with the 215's.

48.0 gn 4350
Cci 200 lr
-.005 jam
2610 fps

Tested at .25-.3 accuracy, proved around .5 moa in very windy conditions out to 1000.
Im hoping it will be a bit better on a calm day with less mirage.

So far this load has shown to be very insensitive to changes. Ive tested with three different primers, a few different seating depths, and from about 50 deg to 80. Everything had shot under .75 moa.

Thanks cb, I've heard 4350 works well also. It seems to be harder to find than varget these days. I wish I could get my hands on a jug.

IMO I would be looking more towards 2000mr powder. RL 17 is great too but don't know if you can get enough into the case to make it work. Varget is too fast for that heavy of a bullet to see any velocity worth the 1000yd mark

IMO I would be looking more towards 2000mr powder. RL 17 is great too but don't know if you can get enough into the case to make it work. Varget is too fast for that heavy of a bullet to see any velocity worth the 1000yd mark

I was able to fit 48gns of re-17 in my case before it became compressed and that yeilded 2730 fps with the 215.

Mine shoots good, but velocities are not where I want them, so I might try to work out a load with something different to see if I can get some excellent velocity from my 24" barrel, while still keeping it just as accurate as it is now.

I can tell you one thing in Varget's defense...Varget is one of the most temp stable powders I use.

This guy may disagree with your opinion on varget.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 90
This guy may disagree with your opinion on varget.

Exactly why I'm going to give varget a try first. Power pro is great powder until it gets hot, then serious pressure can show up from no where. I loaded from 38-42.5 for an ocw test tomorrow. I am still 2 grains from compression but I can't see how in the world somebody could fit 48 grains of 4350 in a case, that's some serious reloading there.

That's a cool article...funny because I live by Pierce Engineering and know John personally. He built my .308 and tomorrow I'm going to pick up my 300ultra he just built for me....on a stiller action

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.