1 Scope / 2 Rifles

bookworm

Hey all - I'm wondering if there is a reliable and relatively simple mounting system to move a scope back and forth between two rifles.

I have two rifles that I need new scopes for. I can get two mediocre scopes or I could get one nice one and use it on both.

However, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea (or even impossible) given the extreme accuracy needed for this long range stuff.

Thanks for any inputs!

I had this very same idea a while back. The trick would be to get the scope mounted securly and precisely back to the same position everytime. There are some quick detach rings on the market, but I'm not too sure how secure and precise dismounting and remounting would be with them. Also, you would need a scope with accurate and repeatable adjustments because obviously your zero settings would be different with diffferent rifles and loads.

One option I just came accross is the Nightforce Unimount system that attaches to a picatiny type base and always remains attached the scope. This looks like it would do the job.

RINGS, BASES & MOUNTS

Last edited:
A Picatinny rail and standard Tactical rings and a torque wrench in inch pounds is all that is needed to switch back and forth IMHO

Last edited:
I'd say use steel picatinny rails on the rifles and get some warne quick detach rings. Considering you'll have to re-sight the scope everytime you switch back and forth, you may find you end up leaving the scope on one rifle while you start saving for a scope for the second rifle.

I do this with my AR's. I have three that I switch back and forth on. I use the GG&G Accucam mount, and have found that it returns to zero every time I remove it and replace it. I've also gotten one for my bolt guns that have rails, but haven't used it yet...

All my 700's are set up with Leupold's QR rings and bases.(not QRW's)

I am constantly switching scopes between guns. I also use a dedicated higher powered scope, just for load work up, in QR's. If you write down the settings for each gun, it'll be real close. When they first came out, I shot a 5 shot group taking the scope off for every shot. They work.
I have also went on far away hunts, and took another pre-zeroed scope, just in case. Another valid reason for using them.

Al

I was told the dimensions are 133MOA for the outer circle with a thickness of the line 3moa and the dot 6moa. I will have to look at one of the units because the Dot does not look like its 6moa from what I recall.

It can be done but each rifle will have its own ZERO also you be best off with a scope that does not have a zero stop. If you use a tactical base, rings, and a torque wrench 65in/lb it will return to zero.

Example of what I noticed when I zeroed it the scope on my 284 and I moved it to my 308 I need to add 4moa of elevation and 1.25moa of left wind. So in my dope book I made notes of this so when I moved it from one setup to the next it would be easer to re-zero. It work well for the most part but at times it was a pain.

Mike @ CSGW

I still think the NF Unimount is the way to go. Advantages would be, 2 screws to loosen and tighen instead of 8 and you dont need a set of rings for each scope. I alos think it would be easier and quicker to get it set and the one-peice design looks more ridgid and stable. JMO

You do need a flat picatinny rail to mount on, the Unimount is a 20 MOA taper.

I'm glad you realized that. I was begining to wonder - LOL

Don't worry we all have those moments

Southpaw

Just realized you can detach the NF rings from the rail without detaching the scope from the rings lightbulb:cool:

Exactly and when you reatatch the rings to the rail if use the same torque (torque wrench) the windage will not change. Without a torque wrench the windage will change

Is the uni-mount a better option than the rings? To my simple mind it would seem less likely to apply any untoward forces on the scope tube, do you guys find the same accuracy and return to zero with the etachable rings as with the uni-mounts?

Would the qd unimounts be less accurate and have less odds of return to zero after removing and re-installing than the NF with the torque wrench?

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to where I might locate a Larue SPR in stock or used?

Thanks, Chris

All my 700's are set up with Leupold's QR rings and bases.(not QRW's)

I am constantly switching scopes between guns. I also use a dedicated higher powered scope, just for load work up, in QR's. If you write down the settings for each gun, it'll be real close. When they first came out, I shot a 5 shot group taking the scope off for every shot. They work.
I have also went on far away hunts, and took another pre-zeroed scope, just in case. Another valid reason for using them.

Al

Al, I have a .375 Dakota and .416 Dakota. The 416 is set up with Leupold QR rings with the post that attaches to the hole in the base. I just acquired the .375. It came with a nice Swarovski scope, but it is too long for my comfort level, and thus I would like to replace it, but would much prefer being able to just swap the .416 scope between the two rifles.
THe easy and cheap solution would be to put Leupold QR bases on the .375 and swap the nice scope between rifles.

I have seen a fair number of "Theoretical Nay-sayer" posts when I asked the question on another forum.. The common thread was that they knew it wouldn't work, but had never tried it. Oh well, now we know why the answer to the number of teeth in a horse escaped Plato.

My plan is to loosely attach the bases to the .375, then mount and tighten the scope with the posts. And then once accomplished tighten and torque the screws on the bases. My theory is that the scope and rings will serve to set the precise distance. What do you think of my way of mounting the bases, and if your way was different, then how did you do them?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.