1.56oz titanium rifle to tripod adaptor

Im going to guess you made hole spacing some standard like it is on some stocks.

I tried this exact design about 10 years ago.. the rifle sat on a $500 camera ballhead. The problem I found with this design is that the rifle can cant very easily, causing you to correct in an additional plane.. my design now only allows for elevation and windage without adding that cant... it certainly is better than a bipod when you have to sit or knee

I like the cant feature. Allows me to make fine adjustment for uneven ground quickly.

I need an impartial test dummy! I am working on setting up one of my rifle stocks to test this myself, but could use someone's impartial testing and advice.

I just finished up 6 of these today. They are made out of titanium and I'm heat anodizing them. I made quite a few light-weighting cuts on them but I may end up doing more. It mounts via(2) 1/4-20 bolts, and (2) helicoils installed in the stock. Total weight is 1.56oz, plus maybe .2 oz of JB weld.

This is an arca Swiss adaptor so will only work with that style tripod head.

I'm located in north idaho and need someone to test this setup for me. I'll do the install and let you have the adaptor free of charge, I just want someone that shoots a lot and will put it to the test. Looking for input on rigidity and POI input.
Live to Hunt: Would you take some advice from a 19 year gunsmith that has seen this design; okay, very similar design used already.. there is a fatal flaw in your design and I would like to help you immediately make it better.
Ditch the heli-coils and put in counter sunk T-inserts through the barrel channel then marine tex metal bed them in . I have many clients of my gunsmithing shop with fiber glas stocks that used to have machine screws, heli-coils in them holding on their sling studs and bi-pods. they pull out/blow out after a few seasons of use. Even when I metal bedded them into the stock. these guns weighed from as little as 5# to my own 12 pound tactical 300 W/M. if you want to talk about this and what I found.. PM me and I will be happy to share all of the ways I cured this problem. some took extraordinary measures. Later.

Live to Hunt: Would you take some advice from a 19 year gunsmith

Thats's why I'm prototyping it! I really appreciate everyone's input so far. I definitely am ditching the helicoil idea, and just ordered a bunch of stainless t inserts. I did the helicoils in a Remington Tupperware stock I had lying around. So that will still be my test stock but I have quite a few people now that are going to be testing them on various stocks.

Are you going to have a flat bottom option? Most my stocks are eh1/tactical oriented vs sporter round bottom style. I do have one stock particularly that this would looks fantastic on!
What brand of stock is that, if you don't mind me asking.

can you get a quick attach that would just clip to a picatinny rail? I run rails for my bipod and it would be an easy switch over.

I'm in NE Washington and would be able to test run one for you. PM if you have any left me and we can discuss which rifle to put it on....

Rhovee,They have adapters,think its a RRS pro clamp.The RRS Anvil fits arca and pic.Think the plate can be used to mod atlas bipod also

Got the stock done (preliminary one for my testing is just 1/4-20 helicoils, but moving forward they will be done in the tee nut style) and tried it on the pan head and the ball head. Really rigid, quite happy with how it mounted up to the stock. I think I have most of the prototypes committed to people at the moment. Once I start getting more info on them I will update the thread!

I will do a "failure test" video on this and see how much weight I put on the back before the helicoils fail. I will do the same test with tee nuts on a different stock. I won't have it in a tripod, as I don't plan on running my tripod to fail.

adaptor rifle tripod.JPG
adaptor on rifle and tripod.JPG

I am interested in your product, I live in ca. but I am a Gunsmith and I do shoot a lot long range and hunting along with testing a lot of loads. I would maybe consider also making a mount with a flat bottom because there are a lot of stocks out there with flat forearms.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.