1/4" click ?

Threejs

I'm going to get a new hunting rifle and want to finally ditch the B&C reticle and abandon the hold over notion. My question is regarding 1/4" clicks on scopes. I'm leaning towards a leupold vx3 or mk4. Nightforce are too big and bulky for a semi dedicated sheep/goat rig. So if my data shows a 100yd "0" and a bullet drop of 40" at 400 yards, would that be 10" or 40 clicks on the dial? I will shoot in all of my final ranges and have a good card of DOPE. I was just hoping to learn a little about the way it works.

Thanks

I'm going to get a new hunting rifle and want to finally ditch the B&C reticle and abandon the hold over notion. My question is regarding 1/4" clicks on scopes. I'm leaning towards a leupold vx3 or mk4. Nightforce are too big and bulky for a semi dedicated sheep/goat rig. So if my data shows a 100yd "0" and a bullet drop of 40" at 400 yards, would that be 10" or 40 clicks on the dial? I will shoot in all of my final ranges and have a good card of DOPE. I was just hoping to learn a little about the way it works.

Thanks

Get yourself ballistic phone apps and make it easy for yourself, there are free ones out there.

Do a custom search on the top right corner for "ballistic phone apps" on what most members are using.

Yes what your asking is almost correct. 1 moa=1.047 inches at 100 yards. So when your adjusting 1/4 moa your adjusting a little more than 1/4 in. Small enough you won't see a difference at closer range but compounds the further you go. So 1 moa at 200yards = 1.047 in x2 and so on.

As stated before run through a ballistics app and it will tel you what you need to dial. Then go out and shoot it to confirm.

Thanks guys. I was kind of hoping to "dumb it down". I'm sure I will figure it out as the rifle in having built is going to be very accurate and my scope selection should be very good quality. I appreciate the confirmation.

1/4" click per hundred yards, so..at 400yards equals 1" per click. If you need to come up 40"= 40 clicks
Just remember whether it is 1/4 inch or MOA, simply multiply by the total yardage in hundreds of yards.
.25" per click at 100yards
2.5" per click at 1000yards

I think you'll do yourself better if you think in MOA , instead of clicks . I think you might grasp it quicker , and be better for it in the end . a target turret is marked in MOA , and you'll read it easily , if you give it a try . my opinion is , counting clicks is an easy way to get lost . this works the same for elevation , and windage .

so an example would be ;

1 moa at 750 yards = 1.047 ( this is moa amount ) x 7.5 ( 7.5 hundred yards ) = 7.85" correction per moa .

1 moa @ 100 yards is roughly 1"
1 moa @ 400 yards is roughly 4"
1 moa @ 500 yards is roughly 5"
1 moa @ 800 yards is roughly 8"
1 moa @ 1000 yards is roughly 10.5"
1 moa @ 1200 yards is roughly 12.5 "

? why is'nt 1000 yards not 10" and 1200 yards 12"

1 moa does NOT equal 1 inch exactly , 1 moa equals 1.047 inch . this .047 does add up at distance .

1.047 ( moa amount ) x 10 (10 hundred yards ) = 10.470 " correction per moa

1.047 ( moa amount ) x 12 ( 12 hundred yards ) = 12.564"correction per moa

Inspect the booklet or box with you scope carefully as some scopes are 1/4 inch per click while others are 1/4 MOA per click. Doesn't make much of a difference up close but once you get out there a ways it turns into inches of difference between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.