“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

When I trained in the military we were taught to use what we had and the best position for the shot, were not afforded the luxury of sand bags, by pods, lead sleds and shooting benches. the only aid we had was a sling and it served more than one function.

J E CUSTOM
You forgot that you also had a guy with veins popping out of his head at the begining, carrying a bunch of crap in your ruck just so it would be a good rest, and shooting in the worst conditions of the day to get good dope/learn your not that good yet.

One would think that most folks would like to know if their irons are up to the task,,, I like what JE mentioned,,, its nice to know if our rifles/ the """Package""" can pull off some awesomeness shots by what ever means it takes to do so,,, it helps build confidence knowing that this unit is ready to rock...

Once a person knows what the package can do,,, it makes it easier to use our rifle in diffrent shooting positions since we all ready know that its a tack-driver or not...

I for 1 will never be as consistent as any of the rifles I own since they are built to out perform my shooting skills,,, this I know from testing them in the planted land canon position,,, ha...

How often would I get a chance to pull that off in the hunting situation,,, 0.00002 chances on a good day,,, and its only hsppened once on a Elk hunt 30 + years ago...

So the question I ask my self,,, do I continue to push the limits of the irons I own to find out if they can shot some nice groups,,, or is it better to just guess that they are good enough...

"""Not."""

I don't know what other folks do in their shooting sports since I walk in my own shoes,,, its a full time job for me,,, so finding out if my rifles will shoot is something I work at...

I'm like the old fellow that comes to our range to shoot a vertical and horizontal,,, he does his best each time he bunkers down behind his irons,,, at the end of a set he looks down range to see a flat line or vertical,,, on the good days he sees something that looks like a group,,, if he was up to the task there will be a group down range if all the stars and moon line up... ha...

I quite shooting groups 4 or 5 years ago,,, now I spend my time get comfortable for clean break away shots,,, i practice this once I know my rifle will shoot...

I only hope that all the rest of gear and reloads are up to the task along with everything else.

Did i mention that I was pretty happy shooting 1 and 2 moa verticals and horizontals this winter,,, I'm pretty proud of my self knowing that the cold frozen North didnt put me off my game plan to much... Lol

Cheers from the North

That's what I'm sayin. In a hunting situation it doesn't matter how well the rifle shoots it's how well you shoot the rifle. Using a lead sled isn't going to show you anything that's going to help you when you can't use it. I feel it's a lot better to shoot how your going to need to for what the rifle is built for. My $.02

What I am trying to say is, I wouldn't take a thousand yard shot off hand, but I also wouldn't take a thousand yard shot with a rifle that didn't shoot Sub 1/4 MOA. But with a rifle that shot 1/10 MOA I would and have shot beyond one thousand yards with nothing but a sling.

It is a matter of knowing what your rifle can do, your ammo can do and what the shooter can do. A good shooting rifle can extend anyone's distance and instill confidence to shoot to your ability. If you go beyond your rifles or your on ability the outcome is very predictable. It also places the burden of an accurate hit directly on the shooter because he has no excuse and no one to blame but himself if the shot is bad.

I have turned down many shots for any of these reasons and never regretted it. So I wan't to know what my rifle will do before I make a shot.

It's just My opinion and way. :)

J E CUSTOM

Spot on JE

A question that all of us ask is,,, will our rifle shoot the group we think it can or what it can using what ever rests we need to show/ prove its worth...

Then and only then can a person change things up in their shooting positions to find out """if""" they can duplicate the same thing as they did from a solid rest...

If my rifles prove that they can shoot X moa from a solid rest,,, they better be able to do the same in all the other shooting positions if its coming with me hunting or taking on the long distant shots...

I hear yha brother...

Yes,,, prove the rifles value by any means,,, then get out there and pound those freehand or backpack shoots off after testing the irons from a solid rest...

I'll try my best to pull off another 10 or 14 shot 1/2" moa gathering,,, but I find it highly unlikely that I'd pull it would happe,,, -20c and my lasy winter wont alllow me to do better then that... lol

Maybe this spring or summer when i strat running my new rifle,,, only then will I know if I can gett'er done...

I'll definable give it a go when i get my pumpkin on task,,, ha...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.