Why not a 300 wby?

We like our toys!!!!

For a chunk of us here, we buy/upgrade because it's a new novelty. Will a 30 PRC do ANYTHING better than a 300 Win Mag or 300 Wby. Not a chance.

Your already have "smaller" guns so you know how to shoot (assuming lol) and you have the guns to practice on to move to the 300 Wby if you haven't shot magnums before.

If you find a Wby for a good price some place, grab it. You will not be disappointed.

In fact, once you start shooting game with them, you kind of just don't have that same warm fuzzy feeling as much for your other calibres...

I posted this earlier, my son shot this cow @ 634 yards (confirmed with two ranger finders, 634 & 635).

It was shot with my fathers 300 Wby that he purchased in 1964 at Weatherby's in South Gate, I was with him.

Just before my son pulled the trigger, the kissed the side of the rifle, said "This is for you Gramps!" She took one set and dropped.

168 gr TTSX in front of RE19.

You should never sell the 300 Wby short, it is not the best 30 out there, but it is **** close.

John and Randy.jpg

Awesome story Randy and like you said... just proves the point and it wouldn't have mattered if it was a bull instead of a cow. It was going down!!

I have a bunch of those 168 bullets in my 30-378 for the fun of it.

Reloader 19 or Reloader 22 with 165 and 180 TTSX bullets and you can take anything down with a 300 Wby.

RandyT, thks for that story & picture ,Proud of you Both for honoring your Father and your Sons Grandfather !!! . Talking about Barnes bullets my Cousins 300 BEE is a md 70 Winchester push feed action ,Barrel still green shot easy into 1moa at 600 yds. 165 naked X Barnes reloaded to 3225 fps, n Cronographed , tryed catching one in the numerous Elk taken but they passed thrugh , can't argue with success ,just enjoy it!!! .

I have a stock Rem 700 BDL in 300 Weatherby.
After buying and shooting some factory ammo, I went out and bought the Lyman handheld handloader tool, a scale, RCBS dies, a Forester seating die, a primer tool, a trickler, a couple of load books, powder, new empty cases, and bullets.
I loaded 150, 165, 180, and 220 loads. All of my handloads (using standard load data) produced groups from .5 to one MOA.
I have shot elk, mule deer, Coues deer, whitetail, and Texas wild pigs from 100 to 475 yards. All have been one shot kills and the Rem 700 in 300 Weatherby makes it almost boring, once I have a decent sight picture.
I shot this rifle once at 1,000 yard shoot and was able to regularly hit the targets. All misses were my mistakes. A friend who is a far better shot than I, used my rifle and hit every shot on the 1,000 yard gong.
Don't see or understand the hatred or dislike for this cartridge, as it and the rifle has performed and delivered the bullet to wherever I aimed it.
Its been a reliable tool.
Am I missing something? Should I have expected more like singing and dancing?

while a great hunting round the main reason its not heavily used is the limited brass options (and cost for what you can get) thus if starting from scratch other cartridges make more sense.

while a great hunting round the main reason its not heavily used is the limited brass options (and cost for what you can get) thus if starting from scratch other cartridges make more sense.

I would have agreed 25-30 years or more ago on the cost. Brass was expensive. Now it's not and you can go to many many gun shops and get brass.

Every cartridge has it's costly moments until it gets accepted. The 7 WSM is the best performing of the short magnums and brass is stupidly priced (I have all of the WSMs). 300 RUM was nuts for a long time as well.

Be thankful where you guys are (assuming the states) as you can get brass almost anywhere for cheap and if not Mid-Way and others will ship it to your door. If the market is slow there then... ammo and brass come north lol.

awhile ago I found a source who was getting the once fired brass right from Weatherby in Paso Robles. It was the brass left over from test firing the new rifles in the factory and it was packed in the box like you would buy ammo in the store. It was $1 to $1.25 each for 300 Wby. Bought a few hundred back then.... still have 2/3 to 3/4 of them. Most of the cases I used fit in my rifle chamber without full resizing; just neck sized, chamfered and deburred the necks, then loaded them up w/ 208 Amax and 215 Hybrids over RL25. I really like belted cartridges.

Can't swear to the time but I think as recently as last year I found NEW Norma brass for 1.15$ each, cost of brass is not a reason for it not being as popular as it deserves, as already addressed the free bore is a benefit,not a problem, the belt in not a issue, it will kill anything on the continent, what's not to like about it? It will be the last rifle I part with!

I like my 6.5 Creedmoor, but I have just decided I won't buy anything else that depends only on Hornady brass. There are just too many well designed cartridges out there.

I do not think that is the case anymore, Peterson (https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/76154), Starline (https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....-6half-creedmoor-large-primer-(lrp)-500-count), Lapua (https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....half-creedmoor-unprimed-rifle-brass-100-count), etc., are now making them ...

I buy lapua brass, it is the only thing I will run in my AR-10. I just won't by a 6.5PRC, 300 PRC, or 7mm LRM is all, and the 6.5 SST is a much better cartridge than the 6.5 PRC.

Actually that does make a big difference. The bullet shape of Barnes bullets is a tangent ogive which is larger in diameter and more rounded close to the meplat of the bullet, therefore it will contact the leade sooner than a secant ogive bullet such as a Berger VLD, Hybrid, or Elite Hunter. Tangent ogive bullets are more tolerant of bullet jump to the rifling, but they are less aerodynamic, therefore their BC is naturally lower than a secant ogive bullet. This is why you don't see many folks shooting Barnes bullets for long range.

This diagram should help explain it...

View attachment 126330
It's odd then that I left my seating die where I set it for 115ballistic tips in my 257, and shove 115vlds in and they shot equally as well. Heck I nearly used the same amount of powder, backed it off .5gr less of 7828 because of the shorter bearing surface of the vld to match the velocity of the ballistic tips.
Point I'm making, I had no issues, had a load made in 12 rounds for my 257 using vlds

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.