Why not Huskemaw

crittrgittr

As I've stated before, I'm relatively new to the long range scene. I'm wondering why I never see the Huskemaw scopes in here? I never see them talked about in the forums section and never see them for sale in the classifieds. Is it because no one has them, or no one wants to sell the ones they have? I just thought it was strange that one of the more popular long range tv shows; the best of the west really promotes them, and also sells them, and there is no mention of them in here.

Mr Backus does sell them on here. They have a decent reticle as well. For the price range though some people feel that the glass isn't good enough. All personal preference.

I can't give you a why not just a "why".

For what we have to shell out for quality glass, I'm just not going to gamble my hard earned dollars on an "off brand" that I know little or nothing about which I may or may not ever be able to get warranty or service work done on if needed.

Leupold, Zeiss, IOR, USO, NF will all be around a hundred years from now if my grand kids need to get a scope fixed they inherited from me and in most cases it will be done for free under warranty.

With all that being said the question then is why would you risk those hard earned dollars on an off brand scope?

There has been several discussions on this forum on the Huskemaw for a few years. I own two of them and really like them. I also own three Nightforce and four Leupold MK4's. I like the Huskemaw better than the Mark 4's , and find they don't give up much if anything to the Nightforces. Long term reliability remains to be seen but so far they have performed flawlessly on ten whitetails and antelope between 400 and 1000 yards. I will put another on my next hunting rifle.

thanx for the replies. I was just curious about never hearing about them. and of all the pics of your nice hunting rigs, I never saw one mounted on any of them.

Thank you Grayfox !!! I thought I was the only one on here that defends Huskemaw ! I've got 5 of them on various guns and also have some Leopolds. There are a lot of good scopes out there and I choose not to run down any of them, especially the ones I've never used. Hearsay evidence just doesn't stand up well in a court of law and I wish that a lot of the people on here who try to discredit Huskemaw would hold their tongues until they have had a chance to shoot a gun with a properly set up Huskemaw scope. Being able to dial the distance exactly and having a wind hold number right there in front of you really makes that once in a lifetime shot much easier. The glass compares to any top line scope. Yes there is some homework that has to be done to dope wind, temperature, and angle shots, but that must be done with all scopes . It is easier with Huskemaw than with any other system that I've used. The set up of the turret is the most important part and anyone who trys to tell you they can use a generic BC and chronographed velocity are just flat wrong. Huskemaw is completely custom for your bullet and load. No sighter shots needed.

I own a 2009 Huskemaw. I have it on a 7mm Rem Mag project I recently finished and in August the 7 was fired for the first time since the project started. Testing the scope was not something I had planned to do however a few friends I shoot with were giving me a good bit of grief for purchasing an "off" brand scope with a funny name and half a reticle. In an effort to (A) prove them wrong and quiet them down a bit or (B) prove them right and I don't want to think about what could happen, we did the following test.

After sighting in at 100y, a 50 round break-in, then chronographing and selecting a load, the rifle shoots better than I imagined it could. Several 1/4 minute groups when I did my part pulling the trigger. I've got a few groups that are bigger but I'm convinced it was my fault.

Knowing the rifle shoots this well, we tested the scope. A target was made on a piece of cardboard approximatly 4' wide and 7' tall. (I know it's big but I had it and used it) Using a marker, we drew a perfectly square cross hair with the bullseye about 2' from the bottom and 4 - 1" pasters arrainged in an 8" square. The target was set at 200Y and the vertical line was checked true with a carpenter's level.

First we fired 3 rounds at the bull to prove zero again. Then moved the elevation knob vertically by 10 clicks and fired a round and 10 more and fired a round until we ware near the top of the target board. Then returned to zero the same way; down 10 and fire one. The points of impact tracked perfectly in both directions. No impact was more than 1/2" from the line and those "misses" were most likely me.

We did essentially the same thing with the windage knob both left and right. Again the Huskemaw scope tracked perfectly.

Next we did a box test holding one point of aim and moving the point of impact between 4 pasters using the elevation and windage knobs. We shot several "laps" and again, the Huskemaw scope did what it should have; moving consistantly in the intended direction and returning to zero when finished.

We also shot 12 rounds - 3 each at 5x, 10x, 15x and 20x while holding the same point of aim. These 12 rounds were fired randomly through the 4 power settings. When done there was one ragged hole. This proved to me that the power adjustment did not move the relationship between POA and POI.

I have since shot at some steel plates out to 750y and have the dope figured and proven out to that distance. Two weeks ago I took this rifle woodchuck hunting. The fields are kinda thin now but when one was spotted and ranged at 680y, the dope was dailed in, the shot fired and another chuck bit the dust. The closet gremlins didn't mess with the rifle or the scope.

In my humble opinion, the Huskemaw scope does what it is advertised. As mentioned in an earlier comment, time will tell how durable it will be. I'm now curious and when I have some time and ammo loaded, I'm going to try the same test with my other scopes. I'll let you know who passes and fails.

And yes, I would buy another Huskemaw.

Opinions are like _-holes... everybody has one.

Internet popularity poles are not a good measure of quality/value.

It's not easy to decide who or what to trust. Nonetheless, there's a lot of good information in these forums. You just have to filter through the noise and determine what's important to you.

Few of us go through scopes like we do bullets. So, our first hand experience in cross-comparing maybe limited. And, once we find something we like, we often stick with it.

I beleive people have had excellent results with Huskemaw, Vortex, Schmidt-Bender, Nightforce, Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, and the list goes on...

The reality is that most people can walk out of Wal-mart with a few hundred dollars spent on rifle and scope and still fill their tags. LRH is a little more specialized, but you don't have to be certified to try it, succeed, or just to have an opinion.

-- richard

they're passe. like last week's bread. or last springs fashions. when they were 1/3 min all the experts here was buying them. when they went to 1/4 min all the experts said *** and sold their Huskys. Besides they are no longer expensive enough.

they're passe. like last week's bread. or last springs fashions. when they were 1/3 min all the experts here was buying them. when they went to 1/4 min all the experts said *** and sold their Huskys. Besides they are no longer expensive enough.

They are still 1/3 clicks. Have you ever tried one?

I assume the 1/3 moa is part of the custom turrett. Do all of the Huskamaws come with the bdc turretts?

The scope comes with a 1/3 MOA calibrated turret. You then order an included custom turret that you supply you data and they send a yardage calibrated one back. There is a good article about it on this site.

I have 3 Huskemaws the oldest is 3 now an I think that the rest are jealous that they do not have what the Huskemaw has. 1000.00 bucks is a lot of money, but it does what the rest can not, with the ease that it does. I have shot out to 900 yds with mine and it always impresses me. Huskemaw has been around for years, at this day an age, **** can hit the fan tomorrow, an all the scope companys can be out of bussiness. If one of the other scope companys came up with the idea first, every body would be raving how great it is. But like anything else people have to put there 2 cents in ( but never had one ) so there the experts. I will match mine to any other scope out there, They work. O by the way I use my own hard earned money to buy the scopes, Nobody has given me anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts