Why not a 300 wby?

My hunting buddy has a Mark V in 300 Wby. it's a nice rifle and shoots pretty good.
The wood is really pretty! His only problem is ammo availability and price?
Other than that it's a good rifle.

It's odd then that I left my seating die where I set it for 115ballistic tips in my 257, and shove 115vlds in and they shot equally as well. Heck I nearly used the same amount of powder, backed it off .5gr less of 7828 because of the shorter bearing surface of the vld to match the velocity of the ballistic tips.
Point I'm making, I had no issues, had a load made in 12 rounds for my 257 using vlds
Facts are facts, that doesn't mean they won't shoot, but they can be ornery and hard to tune.

Facts are facts, that doesn't mean they won't shoot, but they can be ornery and hard to tune.
So I'm confused, you always say there's no such thing as inherent accuracy? Then when it comes to wby cartridges you say they're not very accurate and hard to tune? Blanketing the entire wby cartridge line. They are very tuneable if you have a decent rifle. Are they inherently accurate no, not imo, but I'm one of the guys that believe some cartridges offer a degree of inherent accuracy. You don't, at least you say so, but I think you actually do believe in a cartridges inherent accuracy

So I'm confused, you always say there's no such thing as inherent accuracy? Then when it comes to wby cartridges you say they're not very accurate and hard to tune? Blanketing the entire wby cartridge line. They are very tuneable if you have a decent rifle. Are they inherently accurate no, not imo, but I'm one of the guys that believe some cartridges offer a degree of inherent accuracy. You don't, at least you say so, but I think you actually do believe in a cartridges inherent accuracy
No, there is no inherent accuracy, only better designed cartridges. Accuracy is repetition caused by a series of consistent factors, including the quality of your loads, the weather conditions, and the shooter. The design of the cartridge has nothing to do with that. If someone can't shoot worth a crap, the cartridge their gun is chambered for won't help them shoot better.

This doesn't contradict anything, the cartridge has nothing to do with accuracy...However, the freebore in the reamer can affect it, if it's so far away you can't get close to the lands with certain bullets.

I see an advantage of the WBY freebore. For instance in my 300 WBY, I am able to seat the bullet out more to fine tune for accuracy and maximize case capacity. With a round like a 300 PRC you cannot replicate what can be done with a 300WBY, because the bullet in the 300 PRC is already seated far out.

Food for thought - If we are focusing on high velocity and not worried about accuracy - during load development I was pushing a Berger 215 hybrid 3150 without any signs of pressure. I began to see slight cratering around 3175. This is with a 26" barrel, a COAL of 3.701" @ 1,800' elevation.

Now with that being said, I settled on a load in the range of 3050 and it shoots sub .5moa and this has been verified out to 800 yards. I regularly shoot beyond 1200 yards.

These are real-world numbers, not just numbers posted on a box of ammo or an advertisement.

When the time comes to re-barrel my rifle I will most likely opt for a 300WBY or 30-378WBY and would like to extend the magazine to take full advantage of the case capacity and slippery high B.C. bullets now available.

The more I read about the new cartridges, the more I see the ole' 300WBY coming into its own with modern powder and bullets.

I see an advantage of the WBY freebore.

Completely disagree with this. Most bullets (cup core) perform well less than 50 thousandths off. Usually 10-30 off. In my 257 weatherby, the bullet doesn't even touch the neck while contacting the lands. This is excessive and counter productive. Having some freebore is fine and helps maximize the potential/tuning of the cartridge. The extent weatherby does it, is stupid.
Short coal magazines/mag boxes are equally stupid.
I add wyatt's mag extenders to my LAs.

No, there is no inherent accuracy, only better designed cartridges. Accuracy is repetition caused by a series of consistent factors, including the quality of your loads, the weather conditions, and the shooter. The design of the cartridge has nothing to do with that. If someone can't shoot worth a crap, the cartridge their gun is chambered for won't help them shoot better.

This doesn't contradict anything, the cartridge has nothing to do with accuracy...However, the freebore in the reamer can affect it, if it's so far away you can't get close to the lands with certain bullets.
What attributes do a better designed cartridge have then?

AMEN Mudrunner! Very well and very accurately stated.

Eric B.
P.S. There must be SOME reason the US Army recently placed a $50 million order for Barrett MRADs chambered in 300 PRC.
Jus' sayin'...

Eric B.
P.S. There must be SOME reason the US Army recently placed a $50 million order for Barrett MRADs chambered in 300 PRC.[/QUOTE]

Could be pricing, special interest groups, bribes. Many non honorable factors go into decisions like this. Not saying this one falls into any of the categories. Just because the military does it, doesn't make it great.
Time will tell if the prc is more than hype. I don't see anything special or negative (other than hornady brass) about it.

Could be pricing, special interest groups, bribes. Many non honorable factors go into decisions like this. Not saying this one falls into any of the categories. Just because the military does it, doesn't make it great.
Time will tell if the prc is more than hype. I don't see anything special or negative (other than hornady brass) about it.
When they first announced the contract, those were my exact comments. For one thing, Barrett has had a military contract for 30+ years...So, you can figure on that. Now Hornady wants a piece of the pie, and Barrett's gonna help them out, and Hornady's gonna supply the ammo. I highly doubt Lake City is going to retool for .300 PRC. Folks think the MIC operates under "strict moral guidelines of refined culture" when it fact, special interest groups get preference all the time. How else do all these new broke senators go into a $174K a year job, and come out millionaires, even after only 1 term... Insider trading, backroom deals, bribes, dirty deeds, etc... Every facet of the government operates under the same level of immoral behavior. For those who think that's a load, anyone else remember Fast & Furious...The brainchild of Eric Holder and Barrack Obama? Where taxpayer money was used to buy actual military weapons, that were then illegally ran by the FBI and CIA into Mexico and South America, given to the drug cartels, and then those weapons were used against US Border Patrol agents, killing a few of them...

As for the brass, they don't care... They only shoot new packaged ammo anyway. They fire it once, and leave on the ground.

Better ignition, more efficient burn, handles pressures better, grips the chamber walls better, less pressure on the lugs...
And none of those things create a cartridge that's adaptable to a wide range of bullets and powders with wide nodes improving overall accuracy?
Btw you just described why the creedmoor should be better than the 260:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.