Why not the .270?

Are you running a 10twist in that barrel? I uave always shot the sierras and h4831 fed or rem primers

who is making good barrels right now? I have used shilen,Lilja and Harts on some of my stuff. Been a long time since any work done and I know things change.When I shot Br the Harts shot better than the Shilens,but not by much and the shilens lasted longer for accurray. Not a lot of shooting with lilja except on a switch barrel hunting and varmint rifle.It is a 25 super and 243 ackley.

As said above its your money. Please yourself.....

I'd go with the 270 Win in a NY minute. Derek's load is a mighty fine one. Run the numbers and check that one out for energy at distance.

I prefer a 140 class bullet in the Winnie. I get the similar velocities as most people are shooting WSMs. The 140 NAB is running right at 3200.

Its been tested to just beyond 650 and is plenty accurate. That is, if you miss the 1/2 gallon milk carton its your fault. I stand it up for deer or elk target and side ways to simulate a yote.

I would have shot farther but I got a 270 AM. The sad part is that the lack of heavy bullets lets me shoot only 140 NABs as 150 VLDs won't handle the velocity and barrel twist. So I push the 140 to 3600 and settle for that.

You'll most probably find that the 130 Ballistic tip and the 140 NAB are about as good as you can get for the 270 Win.

Good luck.

"The 140 NAB is running right at 3200". Wow, that's fast!! I have a Rem 700 with a 22" tube, I would like to get 3,000 or so if feasible with that barrel. I am only getting about 2,875 now with the 140 Acc & 4350. I will try RL22 since it is doing so well for you. Have you tried H1000?
Don't mean to hijack, I felt the 140/vel was relevant.

Yes, the 140Acc is great

Last edited:
Nomosendero,
Your 22" barrel velocities are about identical to what I am getting too.
Though I know longer have it, my old M700LH BDL was clocking 3000 fps with a max load of IMR4350, Sierra 130gr SBT.
With a Max load of H4831, my old M700LH BDL would push a Nosler 160gr Semi-Spitzer PT at 2700 fps (Dark Timber elk load).
I now have a Tikka T3 Lite LH, and with a max load of H4831 it is clocking in at 2940 fps.
I have never tried RL-22 in a 270 Win.

At this point 3000'/sec is the majic number I would like to keep to. I am flexable to .270's[win, ackley,wsm etc] and .280 or even .308 cal to get it, just like the .270. Action length can get tricky on the longer stuff. a rem LA is about as long as I have....I kind of am in same boat as many of us now, little money to play with so want to try to get it right the FIRST TIME. Bullet weights from say 140-180 max.

Yea,now I have had time to check my notes that 3200 with 140s is darn fast. You are doing that with a std .270 win? Even with 4-5 inches more of barrel that is still fast, much more than I wouyld expect with my curent gun data to show.

Curley, et al.

I have found that for the 270 Win that Norma 205 was/is the best powder for the 130+ class bullets.

Way back in 1966 when I had the Douglas Premium 24" bbl installed on the 1908 Mauser action I stoked it up with all the 4831 I could get in it and went to shootin and harvesting. For 2 years I hunted with that load. The bullet of choice back then wsa the Sierra 130 Boat Tail.

I believed what the old Speer manuals said about velocity.

After a couple of years I bought an Oehler Chrono. The one with the paper and silver ink and clips to shoot through. I calibrated it every way I could and came to the quick conclusion that the 60gr of 4831 was neting a little over 2800 FPS. What a dissapointment.

I went looking for other powders. 4350 was a bit fast and gave the desired velocity but pressure were very near what a safety minded fella would want to use. Case life was only around 6 reloads. These days I settle for that in the extreme magnum rifles.

However, when I came across Norma 205 powder I thought I was in heaven. In the 24' Dougles the velocity was 3190 FPS and a good solid 3/4 MOA average group size. In those days I shot 5 shot groups.

Norma became unavailable and is still not the easiest to find.

I then, w/in the last 3 or so years learned that RL-22 is the same powder as Norma 205 but shorted by about 5 quality control checks. In other words I don't think it is the same consistency from lot to lot and is temperature sensitive.

Like I said before I stopped at 3200 fps just cause I think that's fast enough for the ol' winny. Most WSMs aren't loaded to nearly these velocities.

The new Lilja bbl is a 10 twist for longer bullets and the old girl's best group is on the fridge in Idaho and measures 0.011" CTC @ 100.

I have since given the rifle to my son who does nothing but hunt with it. So far he's great shooter out to 600 yds at large pop bottles but can't hit a standing deer at 110 yds. That was funnier than heck.

BTW, GG and the Utahr boys have plenty of experience with RL-22

just saw somebody that had some old 205 last week , yes I have used little but H4831 and can not get it to even close to 3050 w/140s

just saw somebody that had some old 205 last week , yes I have used little but H4831 and can not get it to even close to 3050 w/140s

I'm shooting a rem 721 in 270win and getting 3050fps (over chrony) with a max published load of 4831SC and 140NAB with no pressure signs. My Dad's 700 shoots the same load to the same velocity. It is a good accuracy load for both guns. Not the BEST for BOTH but works great since we hunt together and can interchange ammo if needed. His has a large chamber from factory so I just make sure his brass goes into the full length resize pile after it's fired.

I got similiar results with H4831 and 130NBTs. For deer the NABs are a much better choice IMHO.

Gene

a short long range .270 story:

6 months ago I sold my Sav 111 RH .270 to a guy. It had a Bushnell 3-9x32 duplx on it. I sold it so I could buy a LH Sav .270 and put together a light mtn rifle, which I did ( it weighs 7.7# sling included). Any way the guy took it to the NRA Whittington Center in Raton and shot it offhand at 200yrds and called me and said wow you know how to sight in a rifle as the very first shot was 1" high at 200 but in the bull. He shot a box of shells off hand and had a good grouping at 200.
SO he was happy about that.

Last week he calls me from Tombstone and says wow, thats some rifle you sold me. I say why's that. He said he put it on friend's benchrest and rang the gong at 600 measured yards with first shot and every shot thereafter. In both locations he used 130gr HSM ammo I had bought a case of from Cabela's.

So I would never underestimate the .270 in spite of 'expert' contrarian opines...

My friend is entering the the 270 Savage 111 in an unofficial 1000yard shoot at his hunt club. Says he's mounting a new scope tho so that may factor into it. As he was ringing the gong at 600 yrds off a rest I am curiouser to see how he does at 1000. Details at 11...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.