The .270 win , or not the .270 win ?

The .277 just never had the target shooter crowd behind it. I'm sending off my oldest custom 270 win to Pac-Nor for a rebarrel to 28 SS in a light Palma.

The 270 win and wsm are wonderful rounds without being powder hungry.

Well it's a good thing I am not using this rig for punching paper in F-class or sniping mall ninjas, I just need it to be minute of deer vitals at 1000 yards.

If the shooter, spotter, gun, optic, bullet, and load all do there part is the .270 win capable of consistent 1000 yard hits ?

YES-------------------------------------------NO

the 270 is a great cartridge to 1000 yrds for deer. it is underrated in my opinion, it way outperforms the 308 and it is held as the holy grail for a long range cartridge. you are basically splitting hairs with the 7mm rem mag. but that is just my opinion, i hope to have at least one in every caliber one of these days.

Well it's a good thing I am not using this rig for punching paper in F-class or sniping mall ninjas, I just need it to be minute of deer vitals at 1000 yards.

If the shooter, spotter, gun, optic, bullet, and load all do there part is the .270 win capable of consistent 1000 yard hits ?

YES!!!! I have no issues holding significantly less than minute of deer at a 1000yrds. I don't group shoot much but everything I dial on out to 1435yrds is dusted. It would without a doubt shoot as good as the builder can make it and you can shoot it, just like anything else. The bullets are very good with good BC and they tune real easy unlike the Berger, I've found they have a fairly large seating range.

OK here's the flat out straight answer........bluntly! YES! (Regardless of what wildrose says.:) Wildrose has the identical relationship with the 270 as I do for the 243 Win. What a wast of natural resources!:rolleyes:)

160 class bullets out of a 270 Win are simply too long and heavy, thus too slow allowing more time for environmental conditions, wind, to work. Shooting rainbows was never too popular in my list of fun things to do.

If bigngreen is shooting those bullets spot on with a bc of 0.650 which is a very good bc but not outstanding for Win velocities there may be other options out there.

Read bng's elk write up with the 165 Matrix at 856. Note the energy and velocity mentioned. you won't approach those numbers with the Win cartridge. However, your after deer vs elk. Scale down his hunt to a nice muley and the 165 Matrix, and the distance @ who knows, say 700 or so and you have the same scenario, maybe even better as deer are DRT easier than do elk.

Most elk shot with the 277 cal are done in with 150 class bullets at closer ranges. The best mass produced bullets in this class have a bc of 0.496 advertised. Get yourself a 150 class bullet pushed at 3000 FPS MV with a bc of a bit over 0.600 and I think you have a combination out of the 270 Win that will get you where you want to go.

I shoot a 270 Win rebarreled with a 27" Lilja shooting 140s @ 3200 with clunky .496 bc bullets and she's a dream. I stopped stretching her @ 650 yds (1/2 MOA) when I had my old Rem 721 built into a 270 Allen Magnum. Will be trying the Winnie with the higher bc 140s and 150s next year. We'll see!

Another QUALITY thought. Rich Sherman (elkaholic) sent me a 6.5 Sherman case, based on the 270 Win case. Sexier than Marlyn Monroe in a potato sack!!!! Bigngreen knows all about that case.

If you're gonna rebarrel, I'd seriously (if it were me I'd definitely do it) consider a 270 Sherman. Even if I had to buy the reamer (and I'm a cheap sucker)

The 27 inch barrel is good as it is on a carry gun that will reach out and touch. A barrel much longer than that bumps into too many trees and things.:) For a dedicated 1k rifle 30" including brake would be my choice in a winnie cartridge.

Said more succinctly: Hell ya, go for it.:D

NO!...The biggest thing wrong with the .270 is BULLETS. They dont have a proper BC for them to be an effective "deer killer" at 1000 yards. Second draw back is the powder capacity. ( same as 280 and same as 25-06...etc...etc.)

To KILL a large deer at that range ..thats KILL...not WOUND...you need something with more heft to it...probably ( off the top of my head) maybe a 7mm "something or other" that you load using a scoop shovel and setup with the proper long range bullets.

But regardless of what you end up with....Id look elsewhere instead of contemplating a 1000 yard .270 deer slayer

BTW..a 27-28" barrel in the mtns or on the plains for HUNTING is ludicrous!

Good info guys, I have 100 matrix 165g and are getting set up to try and get a .270 TC Icon to shoot them, with the idea of black bear and Thar back in New Zealand, hoping/wanting for 600 plus for across windy gulleys.
Thanks so far.

NO!...The biggest thing wrong with the .270 is BULLETS. They dont have a proper BC for them to be an effective "deer killer" at 1000 yards. Second draw back is the powder capacity. ( same as 280 and same as 25-06...etc...etc.)

To KILL a large deer at that range ..thats KILL...not WOUND...you need something with more heft to it...probably ( off the top of my head) maybe a 7mm "something or other" that you load using a scoop shovel and setup with the proper long range bullets.

But regardless of what you end up with....Id look elsewhere instead of contemplating a 1000 yard .270 deer slayer

Nothing wrong with 270 bullets, BC is outstanding with the Matrix at .650 and .700 which if I remember right is equal or better than the best 7mm offerings so if the 270 Matrix doesn't have the BC to kill deer then the 7mm Bergers certainly won't :rolleyes:

BTW, what barrel length is ideal for Long Range Hunting, 20 inch barreled 7 RUM I bet that would rock a deers world:cool:

Thanks for all the info,

I just can't shake the idea of a 1000 yard .270 win killing machine, better ballistics and knock down power than .260 rem, 6.5-284, 7mm-08, .308 win and would have close to the same, or better BC as 7mm mag with 180 gr Burgers (.659), with less recoil and powder. I can also use all my Dads .270 reloading equipment.

Well now I play the waiting game, my gunsmith has a 3 mounth back log.

Thanks for all the info,

I just can't shake the idea of a 1000 yard .270 win killing machine, better ballistics and knock down power than .260 rem, 6.5-284, 7mm-08, .308 win and would have close to the same, or better BC as 7mm mag with 180 gr Burgers (.659), with less recoil and powder. I can also use all my Dads .270 reloading equipment.

Please let us know how she shoots. I grew up on the .270 here in the woods PA. Great caliber. My brother calls his .270 the meat gun! He's never lost a deer with that one.

Tank

NO!...The biggest thing wrong with the .270 is BULLETS. They dont have a proper BC for them to be an effective "deer killer" at 1000 yards.

The 165's gr. Matrix BC are pretty good and the case does hold @10 - 12 grains more than a 308.

Roy in Idaho brought up a 700 yard figure as being more practical.

I live in a state of mountains and the highest average elevation (Nevada) I've hunted every year with 28 - 29 inch barrels and a long brake. Big barrels and up to 24 pound F class guns. Our Army and Marines all decked out in body armor and equipment is something over 80 lbs.

Me with a rifle....... might be less than half that. I also work out and Mt bike ahead of time. The only times I've bitched about the big barrel is walking leaned over on game trails and the barrel sticking up snags the limbs. It is allot of open country in the western states

Thanks for all the info,

I honestly don't think at your elevation your looking at an easy 1000yrd killing machine, you have the energy but your impact velocity is going to be low enough it may be a question more of having enough velocity to get the bullet opened to deliver that energy. That is why chambering in a 270 like the WSM or the 270 AI would be better, your impact velocity is high enough to deliver at your elevation.
Roy mentioned a 6.5 Sherman, at a 1000yrds it delivers a 140 Berger 200fps faster with about the same energy but it will deliver it. It's a teeter totter, the 165's give us great BC but in the 270 win we've sacrificed just a little to much velocity to gain that BC but add some velocity and you have an ideal match, add a little more like the WSM or the Weatherby and you can utilize the BC that the 175 brings, which is flat awesome.
Again accuracy is there to do it, the bullet is there you just have to give it what it needs for your application.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.