270 WİN. question.??????

soundwaves

Hi guys. lm planing on buying my self a new rifle a (heym sr21) in 270 win. l allready own a heym sr30 and its a great gun. the rifle l buy will be my only rifle so l was wondering if the 270 will be a good choice or not. lm only gonna be hunting İBEX and WİLD BOAR. will the 270 be able to kill those animals? the shots l will be takeing on ibex will be from 200 to 550 meters.

l asked some of my maes over here and thay said dont eaven bother thinking of a 270 go 30 cal. cause the 270 wont kill the animal you shoot at if not hit corectly. well l own a 7mm rem mag and havent had any trouble killing the animal l shoot at. so the question is: will the 270 drop ibex and wild boar with no problems at all???

thanks Alan

54 grains of IMR 4350 and a 130 Nosler partition will kill a Moose. I would think it will kill those critters also.

I suppose your mates are correct, if you don't hit in the right spot, you won't kill em. Well lets say they won't drop on the spot and that applies to any caliber you use. You already have the 7mm and it does the job right? So why not just stay with the 7mm?

And yes the 270 will do the job. As with any caliber, you need to put the bullet in the boiler room.

Your 7mm is a good all round piece, for alot more then just ibex and hogs.

If all I had was a 7mm and looking to get another rifle, I'd go bigger, say a 30 cal. 300 win mag, 338 or something along those lines. Then I'd have all the bases covered , 7mm for the smaller stuff and the 338 for the big stuff.

But thats just me.

Soundwaves,

270 Winchester will do the job. But, 7mm RM is perhaps a better choice.

As I recall, you aren't setup or able to handload over there in Turkey. Is that correct?

So, the cartridge will make marginal difference. And, the real issue will be a ready supply of high quality ammunition and lots of practice.

Why are you getting rid of the 7mm RM?

-- richard

Howdy Alan, First question... what the heck rifle did you ever get for the ambassador? :)

OK then... I'm guessing you're best qualified to answer your question than most of us based on your own experience with the 7mm RM and those game animals. I also have hunted with the 7mm RM for many years and owned and shot a 270. When you lay a 7mm RM case next ot a 270 Win case, there is a noticeable difference... same with the bullets. The 7mm was very capable with good shots. The 270 is also capable, but it is not a 7mm RM, which is not a 300 WM. Your call :)

l wanted to get rid of the 7mm RM cause l shot about a 1000 rounds with it. lm concerned about barrel life. the rifle is still verry accurate. how many more rounds do you think will make the rifle shoot with a noticabe error? not concerned with .50 moa or so defect. ( just wondering how many shots does it take a 7mm RM to notice big change in accuracy?) some guys over here say 3-4 thousand? l always thought 1500- to 2000?

l wanted to get rid of the 7mm RM cause l shot about a 1000 rounds with it. lm concerned about barrel life. the rifle is still verry accurate. how many more rounds do you think will make the rifle shoot with a noticabe error? not concerned with .50 moa or so defect. ( just wondering how many shots does it take a 7mm RM to notice big change in accuracy?) some guys over here say 3-4 thousand? l always thought 1500- to 2000?

How many more rounds do you think will make the rifle shoot with a noticeable accuracy? There are so many variables involved (powder type, bore diameter, bullet coatings etc.) that it's hard to predict but here's one that might help ...

Handy Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life « Daily Bulletin

i.e. if the loads are as follows: using 150gr NBT and H4831SC ... (1) 50gr of powder, (2) 55 gr of powder, and (3) 60 of powder, the formula predicts the approximate number of rounds of barrel life as:

(1) 2138 for non-moly coated bullet ............. 2613 for moly coated bullet
(2) 1767 for non-moly coated bullet ............. 2159 for moly coated bullet
(3) 1484 for non-moly coated bullet ............. 1814 for moly coated bullet

In essence, the loaded powder, powder heat potential, and pressure are inversely proportional with the total round count.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
As l dont know much about powder and burning speeds and so on,l cant calculate the life of the barrel. I ll put it this way. l have shot about 500 rounds of federal clasics 150 grain SP. AND 300 rounds of federal clasics 175 grains SP. SO HOW MANY MORE BULLETS WILL L BE ABLE TO SEND DOWN RANGE TO 550 METERS TO KILL IBEX. i dont compete. just hunting. need to hit the vitals. any estimates?

As l dont know much about powder and burning speeds and so on,l cant calculate the life of the barrel. I ll put it this way. l have shot about 500 rounds of federal clasics 150 grain SP. AND 300 rounds of federal clasics 175 grains SP. SO HOW MANY MORE BULLETS WILL L BE ABLE TO SEND DOWN RANGE TO 550 METERS TO KILL IBEX. i dont compete. just hunting. need to hit the vitals. any estimates?

Hard to say... I burned out my 7mm barrel in about 1000-1100 rounds. Most of those were max or close to max handloads.

A 270 is enough gun! Less recoil flat shooting 400 yard gun with factory ammo. My first Elk was with a 270, have used 7mm and 300 also. In Wyoming a big game caliber has to be a 243 or larger, same for Colorado. In Utah and Texas it is any center fire cartridge. Shot placement is important no matter the caliber. I always say the gun is important but buy the best optics you can afford to go on it. My thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.