Why not the .270?

Curly

I am trying to convince myself that I don't want a .270 for long range gun, just can't. What would you do? I would maybe rebarrel my current R700 or just work up my 700Classic in .300H&H. Just two calibers I Love. What caliber and why ?

Define "long range." Once that comfort distance for you is established, I can tell you why you would or would not want one.

FWIW, I know a guide who has killed several elk with a 243 AI at roughly 1000 yards. He keeps trying to "convince himself" that the caliber is way too little for the task, but he's not lost an elk yet.

I'm shooting a 150 Berger VLD in my 270 with IMR4350.

Right now I am shooting an improved 25 super and can keep ~1moa to 700 yards. Would lke a little havier bullet and have always liked the .270 and just had to buy a .300H&H for some reason. Neither at this point will keep those type groups so may have to do some work for them.Was thinking of the .270 in a rem 700 action with the rem style classic stock and Hart barrel with some action work if I have to build.Never did much with the /.300 yet.I guess to answer the question 700-1000 yards.

Kirby builds his 270AM and I know there are a few guys here who have them. I dont know but I think, that I have read about them shooting WILDCAT bullets in there rigs but thouse will not be available until this summer so I read.

I chose the 260rem for my rifle beacuse of its light recoil and the fact that I have so much LC brass

Right now I am shooting an improved 25 super and can keep ~1moa to 700 yards. Would lke a little havier bullet and have always liked the .270 and just had to buy a .300H&H for some reason. Neither at this point will keep those type groups so may have to do some work for them.Was thinking of the .270 in a rem 700 action with the rem style classic stock and Hart barrel with some action work if I have to build.Never did much with the /.300 yet.I guess to answer the question 700-1000 yards.

I'd take a 700 yard shot with this load: 1st pic is 100 yrds. 2nd pic is 200:

150VLD270wolfload2.jpg

200yard270Rem150VLDIMR4350215M.jpg

I am trying to convince myself that I don't want a .270 for long range gun, just can't. What would you do? I would maybe rebarrel my current R700 or just work up my 700Classic in .300H&H. Just two calibers I Love. What caliber and why ?

...sounds like you been reading too many forum posts here by too many of our 'experts'. Since it's your ca$h do what you want and what pleases you. Every calibre is a 1000 yrd cal if you make it so. Do the 270 and enjoy it, lifes too short to do elsewise. ( my own 270 is not my 1k rifle but I still love it like a brother...)

As said above its your money. Please yourself.....

I'd go with the 270 Win in a NY minute. Derek's load is a mighty fine one. Run the numbers and check that one out for energy at distance.

I prefer a 140 class bullet in the Winnie. I get the similar velocities as most people are shooting WSMs. The 140 NAB is running right at 3200.

Its been tested to just beyond 650 and is plenty accurate. That is, if you miss the 1/2 gallon milk carton its your fault. I stand it up for deer or elk target and side ways to simulate a yote.

I would have shot farther but I got a 270 AM. The sad part is that the lack of heavy bullets lets me shoot only 140 NABs as 150 VLDs won't handle the velocity and barrel twist. So I push the 140 to 3600 and settle for that.

You'll most probably find that the 130 Ballistic tip and the 140 NAB are about as good as you can get for the 270 Win.

Good luck.

As said above its your money. Please yourself.....

I'd go with the 270 Win in a NY minute. Derek's load is a mighty fine one. Run the numbers and check that one out for energy at distance.

I prefer a 140 class bullet in the Winnie. I get the similar velocities as most people are shooting WSMs. The 140 NAB is running right at 3200.

Its been tested to just beyond 650 and is plenty accurate. That is, if you miss the 1/2 gallon milk carton its your fault. I stand it up for deer or elk target and side ways to simulate a yote.

I would have shot farther but I got a 270 AM. The sad part is that the lack of heavy bullets lets me shoot only 140 NABs as 150 VLDs won't handle the velocity and barrel twist. So I push the 140 to 3600 and settle for that.

You'll most probably find that the 130 Ballistic tip and the 140 NAB are about as good as you can get for the 270 Win.

Good luck.

Roy is right about the 270.

One of my favorite deer rifles was a 270 win. and I won my first 600yrd match with it against
a bunch of target rifles with 32x scopes (Mine had a K 10 weaver) so I know they will shoot.

The only problem is the bullet selection for .277 dia. is very limited.

I used the 130gr class bullets for deer size game and the 150gr for Elk.

But with the accubonds that are now available I would recomend the 140gr.

If you like the 270 then you would love the 280rem and there are loads of bullets in .284 dia.
if you ever deside to have it re barreled.

As far as long range with the 270win, they are capable of great accuracy and only limited
in deliver'd energy at very long distance. So look at the max distance with a given load
that will produce the energy needed for the game hunted.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
270wsm with 135 sierra match kings out of a tikka t3. This rifle shoots right along with my $3000 GAP. 600 yard 5 shot group, this is typical and easy to do all day.
600270wsm.jpg

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Win. My load is not a hot load, but it is a very accurate load (Sierra 130gr SBT @ 2940 fps). Cold barrel groups always have the first two bullets touching. The 3rd round is just a hair lower than the first two. I sight it in @ 4"high @ 100yds. That's what works for me one deer.

This past year I had fantastic performance from my deer load @ 385 yds (lasered), the buck dropped in his tracks.

I use my 270 mainly for hunting situation out to 600yds. I stop there, as I have other options, two come with belts, the 3rd is beltless. gun)

A++ to JE Customs regarding his comment about bullet selection. Yes the 270 offerings are limited when compared to the 7mm's. However when the bullet manufactures finially came out with the 140gr bullets it pretty much filed a glaring hole in offerings for the 270. If you take an honest look at what is available for the 270, I for one think that the coverages are adequate.

This is off topic, but my favorite dark timber elk load is the Nosler 160 Semi-Spitzer Partition. I load it to 2700fps and do not look back. When the rifle is sited in for the deer load (4" high @ 100yd) the 160gr PT load is exactly 1" high and 1" to the left @ 100 yds with the same scope setting.

go to dan lilja (lilja rifle barrels) and read his lr shooting articles and a dynamite shoot at 1300 with a 270.

Just remember though, hitting something and killing it are two different things. You want enough bullet to do the job.

BH

Never shot any accubonds are they really that good? Accurracy good too? I like the idea of the 140's

Never shot any accubonds are they really that good? Accurracy good too? I like the idea of the 140's

Yep they are really "that" good.

But I have shot more stuff with the 130 BT.

jmason

I use RL-22 exclusively in the 270 Win. I don't have the exact weight with me but and its a big but, I think it is somewhere around 58.5 grains.

The original barrel was a Douglas Premium @ 24". The new barrel is a Lilja @ 27" and I get the same velocities. I stopped at 3200 as I figured that's as fast as a 270 Win should shoot.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.