The "BOSS" why not more use?

Walker, Not sure I totally agree with you on the harmonics. I know it changes barrel harmonics but I think the recoil reduction allows the shooter to be more accurate without realizing it. Does psychology deal with shooting? I believe it does.

I have had 2 guns with the Boss on them. A Browning 270 and a Winchester featherweight 270. The Boss definitely works. Never tested them past 100 yards but they both would hold 1/2 moa easily at 100 yards. The thing I didnt like is that the barrel on the 270 for instance is 22 inches including BOSS. So you loose 2" of barrel when using the Boss. You will loose 2" on any gun equipped with the boss. So to answer your question in my case I ended up selling both guns with boss due to the fact that my 270 didnt need a brake to shoot comfortably. The Boss was big and bulky and I was losing 2" of barrel on something I didnt really need. I sold the Winchester to my brother over 10 years ago and it is his favorite rifle to this day.I think the main reasons you don't see more is the bulk of the boss, loss of barrel length , some of the most popular cartridges don't require a brake to shoot comfortably, and the thought of tuning may be intimidating to alot of hunters.

Dan
I was cleaning my Browning 270 and thought back to your post last night. I measured it and I'll be danged but you are 100% right. This entire time I was thinking I had a 22" barrel with 2" of BOSS for a total of 24". That probably explains why I'm getting 2900fps with a 130gr accubond and 59gr of 4831. Now I have to make a post about information on short barreled 270 loads...

Even though it does have it's shortcomings, I love that thing. It looks great, feels right and shoots well enough for me to do anything I'll probably ever need it to do. Only thing I've done to make it better was add the BOSS-CR. I hate to say it, but now that I've started to handload, I'll probably never own another.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.