Why not a 300 wby?

Hey... I have 5 - 300 Win mags sitting downstairs (I had to actually go look because I wasn't sure) and 2 - 300 Wby.

If you are comparing the Win Mag and the Weatherby, no deer, elk or moose you shoot us going to know the difference.

The Wby hits a touch harder and shoots a touch flatter. Is it enough for an animal to know the difference??? Not a chance.

The Wby is a cool design and ammo more expensive than then Win Mag but not by a huge amount. And multiple ammo manufacturers make ammo and reloading components for both.

As I mentioned the Wby needs a long action and ideally a 26" barrel so there's the cost... handling that package in the bush.

Accuracy from both can be exceptional. Although the Win Mag has/holds way more records. And it's funny how all the "problems" of the Win of a short neck and the belt and the taper and yet it has held numerous numerous long distance shooting records.

The 300 PRC looks promising but remember, it's advantage is that you seat the bullets out so you can't just rechamber a 300 Win Mag... not because it doesn't clean up the chamber it just doesn't fit in the magazine box of a lot of rifles. Ammo is expensive!!!! If you can find it. Good luck in Western Canada. But I gotta admit I am already looking at building a gun chambered for it only because I don't own one. Not much of a good reason huh??? Lol

This is one of the reasons the 30 Nosler is attractive. Same overall length as the Win Mag so hence a standard action BUT you ideally need a 26" barrel. So the "new" 30 Nosler is basically trying to duplicate a 300 Wby but in a standard length action. In the end you are spending more money on ammo and generally the gun for a 30 Nosler all to get a 300 Weatherby for total gun decrease (from a Weatherby) of 1/4 of an inch.

Ironic what we put ourselves through huh????

Don't know if it's true or not BUT.... I was told Remington only makes a long and a short action, they cut back the bolt stop to allow the Weatherby cartridge to fit, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can verify or set me straight. I started this thread because I don't here the 300 bee mentioned much, my Sako with a 26" Douglass barrel shoots everything 180 and up well so I am a little perplexed as to why it is not more popular. I know the free bore is long, I Don't care, it shoots great, a friend of mine says he had one built without the free bore but could not get any velocity without seeing pressure spikes so they ended up opening up the throat some and Wala back to being a fast shooting rifle, as to the Hornaday 300 PRC, sounds like a great cartridge, but I don't see it getting the following of a Weatherby, it's more of a specialty/handloaders rifle, Boy that ought to open a new can of worms!!!!

With regards to WBY freebore, if it shoots the factory premium ammo lights out, why worry? No problem with anyone who prefers to experiment with handloading, but it you get great accuracy without it and are not concerned with the extra cost of the WBY premium ammo, then to each their own.
Not everyone wants to pay $100 for a box of ammo... That's why we handload.

Now, if someone never tries to handload for a rifle with freebore, they'll never understand what a complete pain in the *** it is to work with.

I don't find it hard or a pain at all, and my rifle seems to like my handloads just fine,do you ever look on the internet for a price? A quick search just showed 39.99 and up. Maybe my internet is defective.

I don't find it hard or a pain at all, and my rifle seems to like my handloads just fine,do you ever look on the internet for a price? A quick search just showed 39.99 and up. Maybe my internet is defective.
He said PREMIUM... Weatherby premium ammo with Accubonds is not cheap. I used to have a .257 Wby, and a box of factory 110 Accubonds was $70.00. The .300 Wby premium ammo costs more. After tax, you're looking at nearly a $100 bill.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...by-magnum-180-grain-nosler-accubond-box-of-20

So as I understand you it's ok to have big bucks tied up in a rifle, optics, rangefinder,etc... but you can't bring yourself to spend money on " quality Ammo" Jeez you must have you priorities somewhat asquew

So as I understand you it's ok to have big bucks tied up in a rifle, optics, rangefinder,etc... but you can't bring yourself to spend money on " quality Ammo" Jeez you must have you priorities somewhat asquew
o_O You seriously have me confused with someone else... I have actually always been vehemently opposed to the idea that you have to spend huge money on a rifle and equipment, and have been VERY vocal about this on here. Your definitely confusing me with someone else, or, you have never read any of my hundreds of posts about building rifles on a budget, or helping folks with budget optics...

Well I can't quite comment on the price of factory ammo as I reload for so many that I just buy the occasional box of factory ammo. Usually at gun shows etc where "wow that's a good deal" and it doesn't matter (for some brain dead reasoning) that I have 300 rounds already loaded up at home.

Reloading the 300 Wby is easy and once you figure out what shoots accurately in your gun, you write it down lol I say this because I have some old reloads that one gun LOVES but the hell if I know what the reload is comprised of lol.

Now I am shocked at the 300 PRC price (I checked out the midway site) because we can't get any around here at any price!!!

Change the question around 180.

Why the 300 Weatherby?

If you don't already have one why start there? Sure it's a good round but if I didn't have a 300 magnum I'd take the WM before the bee and the 30 nosler or 300 PRC before the WM.

If I was setup for the bee or WM no reason to change.

Change the question around 180.

Why the 300 Weatherby?

If you don't already have one why start there? Sure it's a good round but if I didn't have a 300 magnum I'd take the WM before the bee and the 30 nosler or 300 PRC before the WM.

If I was setup for the bee or WM no reason to change.

I'll agree it's not the 30 cal mag to start with,but I believe that mite rightly belong to the 300 win mag, I want the 30 Nosler to prove itself, barrel life, cases that are obtainable and decent, etc..hell the PRC
Needs to prove itself to. They are great when new but will they still be around 60 years from now, that's what the Weatherby has done, and as said elsewhere you can get ammo for it and components all around the world

Not sure why we are down on free bore in a weatherby but seating bullets we like way off the lands is good. Must say I am with Teanjohn on this one I have 2 rifles chambered for Weatherby cartridges. One is a 300 the other a 257 both will shoot half inch 3 shot groups. That is if I do my part the 257 more often and it is a rather new Remington. We have heard how crappy new Remingtons are which means this rifle should not shoot at all. Even with free bore and being a Remington it actually usually shoots under half inch groups. Maybe it is because I load both of them with Barnes TSX bullets.

Not sure why we are down on free bore in a weatherby but seating bullets we like way off the lands is good. Must say I am with Teanjohn on this one I have 2 rifles chambered for Weatherby cartridges. One is a 300 the other a 257 both will shoot half inch 3 shot groups. That is if I do my part the 257 more often and it is a rather new Remington. We have heard how crappy new Remingtons are which means this rifle should not shoot at all. Even with free bore and being a Remington it actually usually shoots under half inch groups. Maybe it is because I load both of them with Barnes TSX bullets.
Actually that does make a big difference. The bullet shape of Barnes bullets is a tangent ogive which is larger in diameter and more rounded close to the meplat of the bullet, therefore it will contact the leade sooner than a secant ogive bullet such as a Berger VLD, Hybrid, or Elite Hunter. Tangent ogive bullets are more tolerant of bullet jump to the rifling, but they are less aerodynamic, therefore their BC is naturally lower than a secant ogive bullet. This is why you don't see many folks shooting Barnes bullets for long range.

This diagram should help explain it...

figure4.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.