Truck gun

20191126_102049.jpg

My truck gun :) .475

Ya know, if it is only a "truck gun" and not a regular hunting gun I'd want a RUGER American Predator with a Tiny trigger as the ONLY upgrade. Been there with that rifle and trigger. TRUE 1/2 MOA with Hornady ELD-M ammo.
Then I'd have: 1.) cold hammer forged barrel 2.) 5 R rifling 3.) very good trigger. 4.) accuracy!
Oh yeah, and a low price.

I have 7 Remington CP's. 2 I had rebarreled to 6 Creedmoor. They both shoot sub .5 inch and one shoots sub .25 inch. One wears a 10.5"barrel and the other a 12. Nothing I could ever want more out of a gun. Both wear Leupold VX5 3-15 scopes.

Some of my top pics for "buggy guns" are

Ruger Mini 30 in 300blk
Howa mini action in a chassis chambered in any cartridge that has ammo available that's not FMJ...... so that rules out 7.62x39.
Henry or Marlin lever gun in 357 or 44mag.
CVA scout in 300blk suppressed.
A Ruger American ranch in 350 legend would probably be a good choice.

I know this is generally all considered short range stuff but I've rarely had a shot over 75yds from a road. Most shots are a quick snap shot on hogs or coyotes and are more often than not from weird contorted angles so I'm not a fan of the big boomers.

An 18" Tavor SAR in 5.56 gets the nod, lately
Pigs in volume require semi auto and large mags

Also, I really enjoy this rifle lately. The 10rd mags add a bit of capability over the bdl configuration
16" Model 7 .308Win, , 2.5-10 scope

Attachments

• 20220717_074452.jpg
    20220717_074452.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Mini-30 for general purpose.
Kimber 84 Hunter in .308Win during deer season.
Also run a Rugger 77/22 when ground squirrels are out.

I know of some guys that cut down their worn out, shot out bench rest rifles. These rifles get retired when groups open up to a miserable 1/4" or so 😁. They shorten the barrel, sometimes the stock and call it their new dash rifle. Usually a 6 PPC, 22 PPC, and have seen one .222 Rem.

Two stamps? SBR and can?
Yes Sir!
Waste of money. Can't see any Law Enforcement issues with a SBR or Suppressor. An AR Pistol is almost the same as a SBR but no Stamp. There is a "Forearm Stock" If attached to your forearm - it is a pistol, put to your shoulder and it becomes an SBR. Look at all the Glock conversion kits that just skirt the NFA-ATF regs.
In hind sight wish that I didn't build it, but it is cool to shoot. I would carry it all the time in my truck when checking out hunting areas of filling the hog stations. When I would walk Samson on back roads, I would bring it along in case I saw a Yote. It is a Keltec PLR-16. The stock and front grip and can be taken off and then is it considered a "Pistol".

Federal Law 27 CFR 478.11. Handguns have a short stock and can be held and fired with a single hand. A rifle is a weapon intended for firing from your shoulder. Short-barreled rifles have barrels under 16 inches long or have a total length of under 26 inches. This includes collapsible stocks when fully extended unless the stock can be detached..
However, be aware that if your handgun winds up firing from the shoulder and doesn't conform to the 16-inch barrel-length requirement or 26-inch overall-length requirement, you've illegally created a short-barreled rifle. As such, it would need to be registered to the ATF and taxed first.
Now, if you add a vertical foregrip, it gets into murky territory. It's neither designed to be fired from the shoulder nor with one hand. The short answer is, it falls into the category of "Other" and has to be registered.