New rifle, youth/truck gun- options?

I would look at the Remington Model Seven. Because the action is shorter they feel more like a youth gun even though the length of pull is pretty standard. I killed my first deer with a Model Seven in 6mm and have liked them ever since. I don't think they have any current production in stainless but there are some out there. I notice a few on gunbroker in 7mm-08, which wouldn't be a bad choice. You can get low recoil ammo for them. Then later on when the boy is older he can shoot full power loads.

I've been looking at the Remington Mountain SS chambered in 308 Win as a great first rifle for my boys. I can easily load down the 308 win to match 243 recoil, but then still be able to load it hotter as they grow.

It comes with a 22" barrel, and I'll get a cheap Tupperware stock and cut it down while they're small and save the B&C stock for when they're bigger or if I want to shoot it.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Mountain SS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

They are not SS but the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor would be my choice. 120 grain bullets for coyote at 2910 factory loads and 140 grain for deer and other big game. Mine shoots better than 1/2 MOA with either factory load and when I do my part even better with my hand loads. MSR of $429.00 but you can find them for $359 if you are patient. Good luck

My youth model 243win shooting 80gr Barnes TTSX recoils very lightly. For what you're asking I would go with the 243win, 18-20barrel and a stock with an adjustable LOP so it fits you and your son.

I do like the Tikka's , my older son has a T3 Lite in SS in .308 and has taken a couple elk, a couple antelope, a muley and a few whitetails with it. When my youngest turns 12-13yrs I plan to get him his own rifle in something similar.

For now, I wanted a smaller gun he can use the next 4+ yrs, and one I might use in a whitetail stand instead of bringing my long range rifle (Rem 700, 300 wsm with 26" barrel etc.) and I could use for other beginners I might take. and shoot a few coyotes.

So- some people like the Ruger American- they make the All Weather compact in SS with an 18" barrel. I really don't like the stock on that rifle. How do they shoot?

What do you think of Boyds Stocks? It seems like an affordable option to change a low end synthetic/plastic stock and to get a custom LOP? Are those stocks worth the $99+?

Also what is the going rate for a gunsmith to cut a barrel and re-crown?

I found a used Rem 700 ADL Stainless in 243 win at my local Cabelas for $470. Looks like a decent deal and I can shorten the barrel and get an after market stock and still come out less than the Ruger Compact Laminate. And this way I can customize the color, lop and barrel length

I'll echo the Tikka votes. They do have a nice action and shoot well. You can pick one up for around $700. I actually just posted some photos of mine in the gun photos section. It used to have the shiny stainless barrel that you wanted until I painted it.

I'll echo the Tikka votes. They do have a nice action and shoot well. You can pick one up for around $700. I actually just posted some photos of mine in the gun photos section. It used to have the shiny stainless barrel that you wanted until I painted it.

I've got 2 Tikka's, both fine rifles, only one caution replacement or supplemental magazines can be pricey.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.