Truck gun

TXAoudadKlr

If you were to build as short compact rifle what would you build?

Thinking a 6.5/308
14.5" barrel plus a pinned brake
Bartlien 5R 1-8 for 6.5 and 1-9 for 308
Manner folding or the collapsible stock
Brake APA (laughs) C.H.O.D.E
Trigger Tech trigger
1-6 Vortex Razor/2.5-10x32 NSX
With other odds and in but that's the gest of it

If you were to build as short compact rifle what would you build?

Thinking a 6.5/308
14.5" barrel plus a pinned brake
Bartlien 5R 1-8 for 6.5 and 1-9 for 308
Manner folding or the collapsible stock
Brake APA (laughs) C.H.O.D.E
Trigger Tech trigger
1-6 Vortex Razor/2.5-10x32 NSX
With other odds and in but that's the gest of it

I would call that a 260 Remington, dies and ammo are easy to find.
It or the 7/08 both make great short barreled rifles.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I built a 6.5 Grendel off of CZ 527 for this purpose. With a 19" barrel on the little 527 action it's a very handy little gun. It rolls around in my tuck with me when I'm out and about and there might be a "target of opportunity". Coyotes are dead out to 600 yards, deer or the average black bear out to around 300 yards, and while it's not my first choice I'd be comfortable shooting an elk to 200 yards.

For a little while I tried using an AR as my truck gun chambered 6.5 BRX first and then the wildcat 270 AR. Both worked well enough, I just never really fell in love with them.

I used a 19" 358 Winchester for a while too which worked really well. I kept a couple reduced loads with 180gr pistol bullets over a case full of Trailboss on hand for small critters like rabbits.

.30 br all day long. Enough bore to be useful in a short barrel and all the good stuff that comes with a very popular bench round. And being .30 you have every option on the table for Bullets. 100gr raptors or 99 hammers for flat and fast or heavier for some distance. I just did a 6.5 grendel in a howa mini as a super light short carry truck gun.

I like my 458 socom, It has draw backs though. Easily bucked by the wind and not forgiving at unknown distance. Mine drops just short of a foot at 200 with a 100 yard zero.

We put a 300 Blackout upper on a M16 lower once. Made a most unique sound on full auto. Like an AK that got woke up by the phone at 4 am...just angry
Yep! It is a crazy sounding round. I used to work at a machine-gun range running their ammo plant. The F/A .300 BLK with a can on it, was also a crazy-sounding gun...Like an unmuffled 1" air hose set on pulse dispersion. :D The MP5-SD's were also fun, but VERY finicky with ammo, and would jam very easily, despite daily maintenance. The Glock 18 is pretty crazy, too. Right before I left, they had just gotten a F/A Galil and a Ruger AC556 (full-auto version of the Mini-14).

I love the little .300 BLK round. I built my .300 BLK AR back around 2015. It's fun to shoot. Hope to get one of those Ruger Ranchs soon. I love the fact that it uses AR mags, as I've got tons of those laying around.

Another weird-sounding round (from a distance) is my .300 Ackley. I have no idea why, but it's like it's only just a few wavelengths different in sound from a standard .30 magnum like the .300WM or .300 RUM, but when you hear it, you KNOW it's something different. It's hard to explain. Pretty crazy stuff.