most useful truck trailer camper combo

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
i know everyone is different but there has to be plenty of guys who have gone down this road. what i like to take hunting these days is sometype of rv that i can stay in and be comfortable, for 2 people. i like to bring both my 4runner and my old polaris 550 atv.
it seems hard to get the perfect rig. i have a 2001 f350 4x4 and i pull a 33ft fifth wheel toyhauler, but i can only get 2 atv's in it and i only ever bring one atv, if that.
i LOVE using my 4runner for hunting. it's amazing. but occasionally i need an atv.
i looked into a decent truck camper but by the time i put on a camper and do the extended hitch, then use my 20ft flat trailer (rated at 14k lbs) to bring my 4runner and atv up. (like 4 runner all the way forward with front facing rear of trailer and then putting on atv sideways but i think any trailer tongue weight plus camper is going to overload truck rear axle. is going to be to heavy for my 4runner and atv
the closest thing i can think of is a big gooseneck trailer, with a truck camper on the front, then 4runner and atv, but i think it would have to be at least a 35ft gooseneck,, not going to go too far offroad in that, although i generally don't go too far off with my fifth wheel so maybe that would work.
the only other thing i can think off is a diesel pusher rv and pull a flatbed with 4 runner and atv,, but that would pulling 10k lbs, trailer is 2830 lbs, 4runner is plushing 6500 lbs and atv has to be 500 plus gas cans. but i don't want to buy a diesel pusher, **** expensive.
i do have a 2019 f350 diesel cclb which is a **** fine truck,, i like having a truck handy as a backup to 4runner
any other ideas would be appreciated.

Why not just use your current 5th wheel and truck and have the other person drive the 4runner towing the atv?

What state? "Doubles" are an option in some states without a cdl-- yet some states require a cdl for doubles. In CO-- you can pull doubles without a cdl as long as you stay under the "comercial weight limit"

What state? "Doubles" are an option in some states without a cdl-- yet some states require a cdl for doubles. In CO-- you can pull doubles without a cdl as long as you stay under the "comercial weight limit"
not bad, but i think in my case i might be over the commercial weight limit,,,, 9k truck pulling 13k trailer pulling 10k flatbeed

oh, i've definitely done that but many times i go alone,, or like this year,, taking my 13 y/0 nephew who doesn't drive. and then if going with a actual driver, sometimes schedules don't line up

I have seen quite a few Toyota tacomas with pop up overhead campers trailering quads on ultra light trailers running around the west. Might be I viable option you can down size everything. Unhook the trailer and take the camper off the pickup. You'd have the option to ride the atv outta camp or take the Tacoma hunting

i know everyone is different but there has to be plenty of guys who have gone down this road. what i like to take hunting these days is sometype of rv that i can stay in and be comfortable, for 2 people. i like to bring both my 4runner and my old polaris 550 atv.
it seems hard to get the perfect rig. i have a 2001 f350 4x4 and i pull a 33ft fifth wheel toyhauler, but i can only get 2 atv's in it and i only ever bring one atv, if that.
i LOVE using my 4runner for hunting. it's amazing. but occasionally i need an atv.
i looked into a decent truck camper but by the time i put on a camper and do the extended hitch, then use my 20ft flat trailer (rated at 14k lbs) to bring my 4runner and atv up. (like 4 runner all the way forward with front facing rear of trailer and then putting on atv sideways but i think any trailer tongue weight plus camper is going to overload truck rear axle. is going to be to heavy for my 4runner and atv
the closest thing i can think of is a big gooseneck trailer, with a truck camper on the front, then 4runner and atv, but i think it would have to be at least a 35ft gooseneck,, not going to go too far offroad in that, although i generally don't go too far off with my fifth wheel so maybe that would work.
the only other thing i can think off is a diesel pusher rv and pull a flatbed with 4 runner and atv,, but that would pulling 10k lbs, trailer is 2830 lbs, 4runner is plushing 6500 lbs and atv has to be 500 plus gas cans. but i don't want to buy a diesel pusher, **** expensive.
i do have a 2019 f350 diesel cclb which is a **** fine truck,, i like having a truck handy as a backup to 4runner
any other ideas would be appreciated.
Truck camper and hybrid trailer is my one man camp. My hunting partner and I have similar set ups. I've used travel trailers, fifth wheels and tent camps and this truck camper is my personal favorite. We can get deep snow in early November in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We've had 30-40" in early November on some occasions and pulling a fifth wheel and trailer behind it makes going tough off grid. The truck camper adds weight for getting thru deep snow and a smaller aluminum trailer like mine tows thru any conditions fairly easy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201110-112648.png
    Screenshot_20201110-112648.png
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20201111-183043.png
    Screenshot_20201111-183043.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
here's my setup. I've done this with an atv in the back of the Toyota at times but honestly we just back pack in and have a main camp with campers/wall tents as well. So the atv doesn't do us much good. I like having this setup as I don't have to unload the camper off the big pickup and have the yota to beat on. I also have boats so went away from 5th wheel/travel trailers as I didn't like having to take 2 rigs. It tows great and I've come outa the mtns in lots of bad weather/snow. Chains on all 4's and it's a tank.

Attachments

• D521812F-CCF2-480C-B8FE-1FF7A581CB7E.jpeg
    D521812F-CCF2-480C-B8FE-1FF7A581CB7E.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 104
Yeah. I've stayed plenty of nights in the back of my Tacoma. The Canopy is Awful nice if the weather is going to be iffy. If you didn't want a hard shell they do make some descent soft canopy's that are pretty easy and light to take off. But honestly my wife and I can have mine off in about 5 minutes so I like the hard one.

The real problem is negotiating hairpin turns with a rig longer than aircraft carrier. Add ATV + 4Runner = really nice SXS. Best of both worlds. Load SXS onto toy hauler, good to go.
well, i am unsure if a really good sxs would fit in my toyhauler,,a 2 seater would but the new badass ones that are 4 seater and have 35" tires would not. it makes sense on the surface but,,,,,,,,,you are in michigan, i think it is different there. out here in the west i have seen the sxs's absolutely destroy the roads and public land. i think they are awesome in your equation, i just don't think that 95% of the hunters here are respectful enough to own them. and on a personal note, i can't sleep in the back of a sxs, and my other negative is the dust that swirls into the cab. my atv, i have no cab for dust to swirl into so i breath way, way less dust. i hate dust. but your idea has much merit, i just don't know if i can join the sxs cult yet