New rifle, youth/truck gun- options?

wildwilderness

It's always fun when it's time for a new rifle. My youngest is now 8 and just shot his first deer. I had him use my 22-250 but its a big gun, target barrel and I had to hold it for him. I also don't like the factory bullet options for it and with the slow twist rate can't go to a heavier bullets.

So, I am looking at options for a whitetail/antelope rifle. I would like the LOP around 12.5-13" and a barrel length 20" or less. Sitting in a box blind with a kid, or on a buddy stand its nice to have a small handy rifle to shoot at odd angles if needed.

The other use of the rifle would be a "truck" gun to shoot coyotes. I can't tell you how many times I've been driving around and see a yote off the side of the road 1-200yds away.

Now, I also want a stainless steel barrel. I know this will greatly limit my options but I like SS since I'm not the best a cleaning etc. and tend to hunt in all conditions and want a rifle that will last a lifetime. Other options like cera-kote it?

For caliber .243 win seems like the obvious choice? Is there a good alternative? If I didn't care for the performance of the 22-250 on the few deer I've seen shot with it then I don't think .223 rem will be better? Maybe with better bullet selection in heavier grains (60gr+) the .223 will be ok? I do not reload (yet) so factory ammo it is. Low recoil is also a requirement since we are talking about an 8 yr old and potential other (cousins and friends) first time shooters using this rifle.

So to summarize, A compact rifle, LOP 12.5-13, barrel <20", stainless steel. caliber .243? The only thing I can find factory is the Ruger M77 Compact Laminate with a MSRP of $999 and street price around $750. So keeping the budget in that neighborhood.

What would you recommend?

Not too familiar with Savage, which models/actions are better? I don't want a "cheap" gun that's why the Ruger American isn't too appealing

I think you caliber of choice will fulfill your needs to a t. I'd get your hands on a tikka compact 243.

They have a 1:10 twist, I'm not sure what bullet lengths it will stabilize but its def worth a look.

Savage makes a great rifle. Even those Ruger Americans are great. .243 is also a great choice. You can also look at Howa that makes a kids rifle that also includes a full length stock for when they grow up. I am buying my daughter the Savage Axis Muddy Girl. They also have a Savage Axis youth as well. Tikkas are also a fantastic rifle to look into. Another thing to consider is the AR platform. With the easily adjustable stock you both can shoot the same gun with the push of a button really. You can also get a different upper for deer like a 300 blackout if you want.

Not too familiar with Savage, which models/actions are better? I don't want a "cheap" gun that's why the Ruger American isn't too appealing

"Cheap" is kind of in the eye of the beholder. Some people adore savage others loathe them, but they are no doubt better feeling than the ruger american. The savage is also second to the rem700 in aftermarket parts, also if this truck gun gets beat up, accuracy falls off, and/or want a different caliber you can rebarrel it far cheaper than the rem700.

But if you're a bone factory kind of guy of the following: ruger, TC, weatherby, savage, rem, tikka, howa... I think the tikka has the best feeling action hands down. I think those who do not consider tikka have never held one, their actions are like glass (no exaggeration) w/ side bolt release and a decent trigger. A lot of people complain about their stocks, but I have one and have no intentions of replacing it b/c it shoots great. Easy sub moa, more like 1/2moa or better. I did paint the stock w/ some fleck stone spray paint, looks good.

........So to summarize, A compact rifle, LOP 12.5-13, barrel <20", stainless steel. caliber .243? The only thing I can find factory is the Ruger M77 Compact Laminate with a MSRP of $999 and street price around $750. So keeping the budget in that neighborhood.

What would you recommend?

Kids like the one I have. Seems to balance for them.

I think you caliber of choice will fulfill your needs to a t. I'd get your hands on a tikka compact 243.

They have a 1:10 twist, I'm not sure what bullet lengths it will stabilize but its def worth a look.

+1

I have recently become a big tikka fan after buying my first

(not to derail the post), but any pics or details to share? did the paint hold up without chipping?

So far so good. I clear coated it after to minimize any chipping. I might have a chance to upload a pic later.

I also devconed some grip on the forearm and grip.

Here it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 146
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.