Kids grow-Youth 700 options

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bucks n Ducks, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Bucks n Ducks

Bucks n Ducks Member

Greetings all, first real post other than intro.

My son (15yrs) has outgrown his rem 700 SPS in 7mm-08. The set up is straight out of the box w/ nice glass.

I was just going to sell it or hold it for another kid. Then I started thinking it would be nice to drop it in a new stock for a 20 inch barrel "mountain rifle".

My question is with the 20 inch tube will this have a problem fitting a bedded stock like a B&C Alaskan?

He has taken a few animals out to 225 yards and I have been very impressed with the 7mm-08 round.

Any other stock recommendations or ideas appreciated.

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I say just put it in a new adult-size stock. Remington might even have one that fits it with the smaller barrel.

Or, keep your scope, and sell me the gun. I can always rebarrel it to .308 and put it in a nice stock or chassis system. :D

3. Crankbender

Crankbender Member

I have an SPS youth. They came with stock spacers to make the lenght of pull longer. I take it you dont have these? Anyways, a regular SPS stock for a short action will fit just fine. I put mine in a Mcmillan "compact" with short LOP and light weight recoil pad. Works well.