Thoughts on Boyd’s stocks

I have a savage axis that I put a boydes stick on. Magazine well was funky but then it was funky on the black axis stock as well. Nice build otherwise.

I wouldn't classify Boydes as being always always a drop in. May be on some rifles but wasn't on mine.

Pasture Poodles, I take it they are Coyote.
Prairie Dog
Not really a dog, a type a ground hog (rodent)
ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1612155582809.png
    1612155582809.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The Boyd's are great value. Mass production making them affordable.
I bought some online in 2010 when they could export them at $99 plus post.
They were costing me $160 aud at the time. Our dollar was up.
They need to come via an importer now pushing the price up.

Good stable laminate no frills solid stocks.

The rest is history.

Don't hesitate if they have a model to suit.
Hi.
I think Boyds are exporting again. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/international-customers

I read that there have been some changes in ITAR regulations. I wish i could find some hard evidence with regard to ITAR, but it does seem that Boyds will export once more. Do you have any import issues on rifle stocks in Oz?

Hi.
I think Boyds are exporting again. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/international-customers

I read that there have been some changes in ITAR regulations. I wish i could find some hard evidence with regard to ITAR, but it does seem that Boyds will export once more. Do you have any import issues on rifle stocks in Oz?
Not really.
About 10 years ago when our dollar was strong they worked out cheap.
At the time Boyd's could export product under $100 without restriction. Many models were $99 so straight from them to me we ith a $60 postage.
Now add inflation that's mate $200, the fall in our dollar add maybe 50 percent. $300, they have effectively doubled.
They are imported I'm not sure its by a wholesaler or large gunshop with a US business.
Anyway with ground mail in Australia they could come in near $400.

The same large gunshop does Howa Boyd's packages at times that are good value if they offer a configuration you want whem they do a run.

Prairie dogs I would like to shoot them too. O have not tried Varminting as such. I hear these can be quite big numbers.

We don't have rabbits in the numbers we had pre a Calici virus outbreak. They come back in cycles in lesser numbers.

I saw the Rock Hyrax in Africa, my only international trip. I did not shoot the Hyrax but I would consider it worth a go. I done a full hunt to do Africa on a budget. I should have asked to try a Hyrax with a different rifle.

They are possibly the size of your Prairie Dog and they are somehow classified as being related to Elephant, hard to believe but they explained how.

I replaced my T/C Compas 6.5CM (original, not Ver.2) polymer stock with a laminated Boyd. I honestly can't say it shoots better, but it does look nice. I still need to bed it to see if that makes a difference. I hope it does because I want to use it as a long-range rifle to consistently hit 1000 yds. Anything I get beyond that expectation would be a bonus.

Consistent hits with a 6.5 creedmoor at 1,000 yards? Hmmm. Good luck. I do hope to improve the appearance of the venture though. It seems to be a well made rifle for the price point.

I am not saying there aren't some who can regularly do that. You would definitely need some barrel length to do it consistently.

Consistent hits with a 6.5 creedmoor at 1,000 yards? Hmmm. Good luck. I do hope to improve the appearance of the venture though. It seems to be a well made rifle for the price point.
I can make consistent hits at 1200y with 6.5 creedmoor only have a 26" barrel and I have a buddy in FL who hits consistently at 800 with a 24" factory savage.

I can make consistent hits at 1200y with 6.5 creedmoor only have a 26" barrel and I have a buddy in FL who hits consistently at 800 with a 24" factory savage.
I think there are 2 things at play with long range though I have little experience.
Firstly knowing the adjustment required for the distance, weather might be the third variable but if you know the math for the elevation and windage you should make hits with an moa rifle.

Secondly, if you are a competent shot and group at 100 , with appropriate correction and a good hold rest etc any achievable the distance should be relevent to the correction made and a good shot.

Error becomes exaggerated over distance but the shooter has done their part the bullet is on its path.

I think there are 2 things at play with long range though I have little experience.
Firstly knowing the adjustment required for the distance, weather might be the third variable but if you know the math for the elevation and windage you should make hits with an moa rifle.

Secondly, if you are a competent shot and group at 100 , with appropriate correction and a good hold rest etc any achievable the distance should be relevent to the correction made and a good shot.

Error becomes exaggerated over distance but the shooter has done their part the bullet is on its path.
Everything is a process getting competent at 100y is a good point you make. Once you have that down it's just figuring out where the bullet is going at longer ranges and you can lay them in there. I have to say that having/reloading consistent ammunition plays a big part. It's amazing what you can do with simple components if you try.

Nothing but trouble with my Boyd's stock on a Mauser 98. It just couldn't take the recoil a 270 Win. It will be teardown number 6 to see what continues to fail, even after pillars, bedding, trimming metal to wood fits and secondary recoil lugs that appear after fixing the last ones. Beginning to think I have a laminate dis-bond hidden from view.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.