Thoughts on Boyd’s stocks

The Boyd's are great value. Mass production making them affordable.
I bought some online in 2010 when they could export them at $99 plus post.
They were costing me $160 aud at the time. Our dollar was up.
They need to come via an importer now pushing the price up.

Good stable laminate no frills solid stocks.

The rest is history.

Don't hesitate if they have a model to suit.

I have had several Boyd stocks and most have been good, how ever I have noticed that with the thumbhole models they have pushed forward the distance between the trigger and the thumb hole more and more. To a point that the last stock I got for a husqavarna Mauser style rifle, my trigger finger can not even properly touch the trigger while my thumb is engaged in the hole.
Being abroad it is just not worth it for me to send it back.
I have learned my lesson.

I was looking into a Boyd's stock as well. I have a Ruger M77 Mark II Left hand and the available aftermarket stocks that have a pistol group are practically zero, except for the Boyd's Pro Varmint model, has anyone had any dealing with this model? I have also been looking at the At one with a thumbhole, are they decent stocks?

Alot of the problems associated with cracking between the laminations has to do with improper fitting. Its typically, not always, due to contact with action screws instead of the recoil lug only. Proper clearance and bedding, especially in magnums, will generally alleviate this issue.

I have had several Boyd stocks and most have been good, how ever I have noticed that with the thumbhole models they have pushed forward the distance between the trigger and the thumb hole more and more. To a point that the last stock I got for a husqavarna Mauser style rifle, my trigger finger can not even properly touch the trigger while my thumb is engaged in the hole.
Being abroad it is just not worth it for me to send it back.
I have learned my lesson.
I have sausage fingers and I've noticed the same with mine. I believe the laminate color is all the way through? Some light sanding should fix the issue.

I have sausage fingers and I've noticed the same with mine. I believe the laminate color is all the way through? Some light sanding should fix the issue.
I had to do the same thing on my thumbhole stock. Put a sanding drum in a hand drill and go to town. Leaves a fine enough finish to simply spray on a clear urethane coat to seal the stock.

Yep, as Wolf76 said that's what my experience with Boyds has been. They are actually pretty good stocks for the money, but every now and then your gonna get a lemon! After my experience with the Spike Camp shown below, which I mentioned in my previous thread, I question whether I would ever buy another one? I have also had laminate cracks like Tiny Tim mentioned. Being a retired luthier, I am all too familiar with wood cracks, laminate or not. It's a relatively easy fix, just mix Tightbond with about 25% water and work it into the crack. I have syringes for injecting glue into tight spots, but a can of compressed air will drive it in. Clamp it for at least 24/48 hours and you should be good to go. With all that said, when you look at all the other offerings out there the Boyds stocks still make the most sense to me, if you're not afraid to do some extensive fitting and some glue work occasionally.
Ahh, can't wait for those hot summer days here in Ohio...
pencil-modified.gif

Attachments

• pencil-modified.gif
    pencil-modified.gif
    650.3 KB · Views: 76
Just recalled a Boyd's I bedded for a friend. He bought a model 70 in 338 Win mag he had always wanted. He shoots lefty the 70 was a right hand. Boyd's makes a lefty stock for right hand actions. He has since taken several elk with it.

I was looking into a Boyd's stock as well. I have a Ruger M77 Mark II Left hand and the available aftermarket stocks that have a pistol group are practically zero, except for the Boyd's Pro Varmint model, has anyone had any dealing with this model? I have also been looking at the At one with a thumbhole, are they decent stocks?
I have a ProVarmint in "Nutmeg" laminate for my current project. It is not yet assembled (currently fitting an Anschutz type rail to the forearm), so I have not yet shot it. I have medium-large hands and so far I like how it fits.

I decided to try out the thumb hole At-One stock for something different. I really like the traditional stocks but it has a nice feel to it and let's you get a real tight grip on the gun. I use this for coyote hunting and its nice to be able to grab hold of it and swing on a yote.

Attachments

• 20210131_194738.jpg
    20210131_194738.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
I decided to try out the thumb hole At-One stock for something different. I really like the traditional stocks but it has a nice feel to it and let's you get a real tight grip on the gun. I use this for coyote hunting and its nice to be able to grab hold of it and swing on a yote.
I've seen the at one types on line. I thought about one for a Howa or a Tikka, I use a couple of Tikkas.
I have shot Dingoes and would like to shoot Coyote if I ever get to the US.

Pasture Poodles, I take it they are Coyote.

I reckon the Boyd's lines are good value. Anyone considering them should consider they are in a low price point and they are solid and reliable.if you want something specific or prestigious the sky is the limit.

I've seen the at one types on line. I thought about one for a Howa or a Tikka, I use a couple of Tikkas.
I have shot Dingoes and would like to shoot Coyote if I ever get to the US.

Pasture Poodles, I take it they are Coyote.

I reckon the Boyd's lines are good value. Anyone considering them should consider they are in a low price point and they are solid and reliable.if you want something specific or prestigious the sky is the limit.
Prairie Dogs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.