Thoughts on Boyd’s stocks

I have a nice Boyds "At One" for my Browning AB3 rifle - Boyds can fit their stocks on things nobody else will. I found it had a great fit on my action but I never tried to shoot with mine before I pillar bedded it. I get a very reliable 3/4MOA on that rifle now. My rifle with Boyds Stock and Tract Toric 2-10x42 scope weighs about 9 pounds. My only other recommendation is to get the "Target Grips" if you get that particular stock.

For pillars I used Hillman 3/8-in spacer washers from local hardware store, and I used gray Marine Tex epoxy for my bedding material. Bedding went pretty easy for me - using "Social Regressive" YouTube for pillar technique, and "GunBlue490" YouTube for bedding technique. Key issues with bedding is tape strip on barrel to keep proper clearance there, hog out about 1/6-inch out of your bedding area, leave a couple high spots in your bedding area to keep proper clearance there, and of course use the plumbers putty and shoe wax on your action to make sure it doesn't stick or hook onto your metal.

Last edited:
I bought one. I love it and their service was excellent. I just ordered two more. I don't see how one could do better for the price. Very nice stocks, and SO MUCH nicer than the synthetics prevalent now.

Vettepilot

I've done Boyd's on Remington, Savage, Vanguard and Rugers. They all improved accuracy and of course look a lot better than black plastic. Never seen a Boyd's that didn't need bedding and some needed a little inletting help. The At One is a steal and a upgrade in the recoil pad is a must. The standard pad reminds me of the red Ruger 77 hard pad.

I've cracked 2 boyds stocks and will never buy another. I don't use a lead sled and reinforced both stocks with devcon. Both stocks had radiating cracks between the laminate layers. Boyds wouldn't replace the second stock, so I'm done. Stockys with aluminum bedding blocks for me.
Did you bed the back tang and not leave any clearance at the very back?

Remington mdl7 youth .243 I bought in 2004 to start my kids hunting on, both of them small framed. Killed a lot of mulies and elk with that rifle. When they out grew the short stock, I re stocked it with a Boyd's. Bedded the action and floated the barrel, finished the wood with tung oil. Now it's just a fun gun to shoot and very easy to carry. Maybe some day my granddaughter will use it

Attachments

• 3D458756-0C30-4DC0-81DB-3B476F547CE3.jpeg
    3D458756-0C30-4DC0-81DB-3B476F547CE3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 293
yup...ive used many boyds and richards microfit on mauser98s....bed them and pillar if ya want.. they make a good stock. heavy magnums...cross bolt them....even tho laminate and stronger than reg wood...ya need the crossbolts on heavy magnums

I have put 5 Boyds stocks on various rifles. All but one fit reasonably well with minor inletting. I did bed them all. I have one lightweight thumb-hole on my Savage B-mag bull barrel, it was a drop-in fit. I put an At-One on my Savage model 12 varmint 22-250, that one took a little work. I have one on my 10/22, that one was a drop-in fit. I have 2 Spike Camps, one on a Savage A-17M2, another drop-in fit. And lastly the second Spike Camp on my Savage B-Mag lightweight, that one was a disaster! Somebody at Boyds must have been asleep at the wheel that day. I had a heck of a time getting it to fit, it was binding at almost every point. Took hours of trial and error but I finally got it! The real unfortunate thing is you cannot send it back once you do any cutting! If I had known I was going to have to Dremel and chisel virtually every contact point it would have been a no-brainer sending it back for a replacement. I suppose that every now and then one will get by "quality control" so really check and make sure the fit is at least close before you start any cutting.

Did you bed the back tang and not leave any clearance at the very back?

left plenty of room. the stock split in the middle, behind the tang..... and totally broke out the section between trigger assembly and mag. best part was the recoil lug area was solid.
when I called boyds, they refused to do anything because the stock had been modified, which I understood during the conversation, but I offered to send it in for them evaluate. they declined. also told the csr that all my guns get aftermarket stocks because of my longer lop and how they handled this case would have a permanent effect on future business.... made no difference.

I sincerely hope my experience was a fluke. IMO aluminum bedding blocks are a superior base to laminate wood.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.