Thoughts on chronographs

meatyrem

What's a good brand and model of chronographs. Looking for a reliable chrony that is budget friendly. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

You can't go wrong with any of the chrony brands. My dad had one when i was growing up. It worked great until i put a hole through it. He wasn't too happy. He got a new one and we have used it for years. Only complaint I have is if it gets close to dark it wont read.

My 20 year old Chrony F1 finally bit the dust. I bought a new Beta Master and have had it out just once. It is going to take a bit of learning curve to understand all the functions. I would like to have an Oehler, but cannot justify the extra money for the limited use I would give it.

BTW, Midsouth Shooters Supply has the best price on Chronys.

I have heard over the years that the CED M2 Chrony is a very good unit. There's a review of it on this site and probably one over at 6mmbr as well. I haven't used it but it's supposed to be a real good unit at an affordable price.

CED M2 Chronograph Review

I've been using a Pact for about 15 years (maybe 17), and it's extremely accurate. Easy to setup, and PC friendly. The only problem I've ever had with it was when I got my big left foot tangled in the cable and pulled it out of the photocell. Now you can but one at Midway with a printer for about $230. Their light bar is made to mount on a camera tripod
gary

If you're on a budget the Shooting Chrony will tell you what you need to know.
I have run it alongside my CED enough to have faith in it.

James

I got a CED for midway used it a couple times .couldn't get it to work ,called them they were helpfull told me that the wires were not sheilded and not to let them cross each other.also he advised me to use a new 9 volt each time I used it , I will tell you if these things seem to make a difference ,after this weekend,

Thanks guys. It sounds like there are several good choices out there. I've looked in my midway catalog, but it doesn't include actual field performance as what I'm looking for. I am in total agreement with Gene about the oehler, it would be nice, but I also think that is a bit much to spend unless using an oehler was part of my job ( I wish ). I think I remember another forum that some fellas mentioned that the shooting chrony was a solid performer. I also like what I hear about the Pact, and I was kinda leaning towards that one too, although this is the first I heard anyone say how it performs, which is helpfull. Keep it coming.

I was searching more, and have been seeing more on the Ced millenium. Just wondering what they are priced at. And why if any reason it would be a better choice over the other chrony's.

Thanks guys. It sounds like there are several good choices out there. I've looked in my midway catalog, but it doesn't include actual field performance as what I'm looking for. I am in total agreement with Gene about the oehler, it would be nice, but I also think that is a bit much to spend unless using an oehler was part of my job ( I wish ). I think I remember another forum that some fellas mentioned that the shooting chrony was a solid performer. I also like what I hear about the Pact, and I was kinda leaning towards that one too, although this is the first I heard anyone say how it performs, which is helpfull. Keep it coming.

got a couple buddies that use Ohlers, and when you get it you have to go into a learning curve. It's just a pain to setup right. Their mounting system leaves much to be desired. Found it to be no more accurate than a Pact for about a $125 less money. The Pact can be setup and ready to shoot in about ten to fifteen minutes; while the Ohler takes at least twice the time at best. You fix the problems with the Ohler by buying the Square Peg mount at nearly the same price tag you paid for the Ohler itself! I made a new mounting system for an Ohler that put the cells in near perfect alignment, and would work off one heavyduty camera tripod (you could take it apart for storage). But it was still a pain in the butt. Once you have the Ohler setup and running; it's about as good as it gets. But getting there? The Pact does a few other things, but how many doo dads do you actually use? I do like the idea of being able to down load to a PC, and would use that one.
gary

That sounds like a bit much for what I'm looking for. For the money it sounds like a pact is a good choice. I'm not really looking for one that will have all those doo dads on it. Just one that is reliable and accurate. With a couple of options also. Still wanting to hear a bit more on the pact and ced. Thanks

I like the little shooting crony for just doing quick checks of something real quick but it is a ginomious pain in the butt to operate without the manual and in wind the stupid screens don't stay together, but for just packing in the truck for a quick check it's good. For serious work something else would be much better!

Put a hole thru my beta chrony which served me well for years and now have a chrony the low end model and it just does fine a little more calculating on my part.

I think a new 9volts battery every time is absolutely ground for return. box that baby up.

That's very helpfull info guys, it deffinately doesn't payoff to have one that requires constant adjustments or something that will be more work just keeping it working correctly. I'm curious though, do most of the chrony's require a battery such as a nine volt or are there other options availible?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.