Thoughts on Boyd’s stocks

I have a Maple one. Mistakenly did load work up with Lead Sled and cracked the stock first day at the range. Fortunately, it was under warranty and Boyd's replaced it for free! However, I don't think the wood on the second one was quite as nice. I'm happy with it. Needless to say, I had the second one bedded with pillars before shooting it. Fit was pretty good. Note I had to take a bit of wood out from where the safety contacted the stock because it wasn't functioning properly with the Timney. I also had to order new bottom metal from Savage to replace the factory plastic with metal. It turned out really nice

Last edited:
I've done a Boyds on a savage/stevens and would not hesitate to do another. It was literally a perfect drop-in fit, the barrel channel was free float and even space on each side. I'd recommend getting the aluminum pillars installed and shoot it before bedding. I had every intention of bedding mine but it puts it's favored loads into one hole with no bedding. I asked my gunsmith to do a bedding job for me but when he saw my targets suggested leaving it as-is. I believe he said why mess with perfection....

Attachments

• 7FA7DD39-32B3-4BEF-B9C6-DAE7656AC9A2.jpeg
    7FA7DD39-32B3-4BEF-B9C6-DAE7656AC9A2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 135
I've cracked 2 boyds stocks and will never buy another. I don't use a lead sled and reinforced both stocks with devcon. Both stocks had radiating cracks between the laminate layers. Boyds wouldn't replace the second stock, so I'm done. Stockys with aluminum bedding blocks for me.

I've cracked 2 boyds stocks and will never buy another. I don't use a lead sled and reinforced both stocks with devcon. Both stocks had radiating cracks between the laminate layers. Boyds wouldn't replace the second stock, so I'm done. Stockys with aluminum bedding blocks for me.

Hi Wolf
I like the Boyds stocks. For the money i dont think they can be beaten. I have a left handed, thumb hole stock here in the UK just waiting to be fitted to my 25-06.

Poor show from Boyds though with your faulty stock. It would have cost them very little to keep you a happy customer.

I have had three boyds stocks over the years and had zero problems. I tend to be rough on my rifles and they have held true. I have become a fan of the At-One stock. Great to be able to adjust for a different shooter if you share your rifle with a wife or a buddy.

Attachments

• 123_1_20200831_191300.jpeg
    123_1_20200831_191300.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 127
Second the At-One. I have 2 Boyds laminate. Minor fitting around the magazine on a Ruger American. Did it with a small file. I'm big with long arms. The At-One fits like a glove now. Would buy another

I have a TC venture 30-06 that is a good shooter, nothing fancy but shoots well. I have been wanting to do something with it but not spend too much so I have been checking in to the Boyd's stocks. They have lots of features and from what I have read are made fairly well. My question is simply if any here have tried them and if so, what are your thoughts, not really considering other brands because I am not aware of any otherS that have a decent price point for a cheaper rifle such as the Thompson. Really, more than anything, it will dress up the plastic.
I have ordered several Boyds stocks with very good results. Other than the fire sales items, Boyds stocks are made to order. You may be able to order with pillars installed in your stock. I have only ordered laminated stocks so far; they have a great selection. of colors. All have been drop in, tighten, and go shooting. I have not bedded any of them yet, have needed to so far. My best advice is to open the web site and look up the model you are want. Then get their customer service on the phone to go over the details. The have great customer service people who will assist you with everything.

I have 6 or 7 guns in Boyd's laminate stocks. I love the looks of them. They're a bit heavy, but not bad. I have them on my wife's Rem700 hunting rifle all the way up to my Rem700 heavy varmint rifles. I have the "standard" on my wife's gun and another 700 .243 coyote Rifle. Same stock on a Ruger M77 tang safety coyote rifle. I have a .223 and .22-250 in thier varmint thumbhole stocks and a .223AI in their lightweight thumbhole. All are glass bedded, no pillars and I've not had a single issue. If you need to do a little sanding to get a perfect fit just make sure you spray a polyurethane back over it to seal the sanded areas and you should be fine.

I tried an at-one for my tikka 308. It was rough. Like square wood wheels on a Mclaren rough. Sent it back to get a new one. Being in Canada I had to. Pay duties on the 2nd one so I kept it. Rough but better. It took about 10h of sanding to get it to fit plus drilling out and fitting new pillars. And it needed a pile of shims. Not happy with the process but now I know. Also all the bits are cheap even for the price. And shipping/tax/duties are a bugger.

Same order I got a 10/22 barracuda. Slipped in nicely but had some hard square edges that needed help and feels like I have a child's set of hands but works well enough.

I will probably go with a chassis next time for the tikka and live with the barracuda. For the price I'm not going back.

There's a project waiting on me finishing the current one that will get another Boyd's.
Have a Boyd's 'ProVarmint' on my .308 Norma in-process build because it was as close to the Manners T4 shape as I could find to fit a LA Savage (Stockade's "Prairie Dog Special" is my next choice) .
Put an AT-1 on a 788 in .223 as I plan to use it for helping young-ins transitioning from rimfire to centerfire and wanted to be able to fit the stock to the shooter at least a little.
Have a Boyd's 'Platinum' on my "ULHR" project, the sub $1000 budget 6.9 lbs scoped and slung rifle. To get there I used several different spade drills along with a drill extension, a Bridgeport, and some long shank carbide burrs made for aluminum. Don't recall the exact details, but I took nearly a full pound out of that stock. It balances nicely too, which is always a bonus!

My experience has mirrored what others have said, good (approaching great) value for the dollar for not the lightest, although not the heaviest stocks. For some odd reason I seem to order them all in 'Nutmeg'.

Like several previous posts.......I would give Boyd's a "thumbs up". I had them make a thumbhole gray laminate stock for a Tikka T3 in .243 Win and it fit perfectly. It shipped in about 4 weeks and have gotten a number of nice compliments at the range on it. Good value for the money.

I ordered another one for a Ruger 10-22 and it was a drop-in fit. Customer service has been good. I would order from them again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.