so frustrated.

Reading over this thread, I'm amazed at how One Shot is considered the saving grace. Looking at other forums, One Shot has been the greatest villain in stuck-die incidents, although the mis-use of spray lubes in general (not allowing them to dry) should really be cited. By comparison, Imperial is typically considered the solution. Case in point, one poster told of having broken two presses, one Hornady (the steel handle) and one Rockchucker (the cast-iron lower platform), before switching to Imperial. Seems he hadn't been letting the One Shot dry. He was sizing LC 308 brass.

I have a different take here. Sounds like the possible culprit is not following the die mfr's instructions to clean the dies before using. A preservative coating left on a die guarantees sticking, regardless of the sizing lube applied. I've never considered a spray-on lube to be the solution to any condition other than for ease-of-use.

Interesting... I've sized about 800 cases using One Shot since I started using it and other than the cases mentioned never had one issue with it. The cases that did get stuck on me were due to being quite over-pressured. Before One Shot, I used RCBS lube and it was a bit of a pain at times. Would regularly have to clean out the die to avoid getting build up and dented cases not too mention it's affintity for debris like tumbling media and hair, etc. Just my observations....

Mark

Well he hasn't come back on the tread since posting
But your right I cleaned the heck out of mine with IPA then dryed with air hose before spraying the die

I've sized about 800 cases using One Shot since I started using it and other than the cases mentioned never had one issue with it.
My post had little to do with case lubes other than to make the observation about condemnation and salvation. I have since come across a thread addressing the Hornady product, apparently by some who are less concerned with following instructions than you are.

Reloader's Nest Forum - Hornady ONE SHOT

I went to the RCBS KY/pad, because sizing wax failed(causing 6XC case failure/ripped off rim).
So it's surprising to hear of wax as a 'solution'.
Apparently, one lube will not work for all...

I have used RCBS lube and pad for everything from .223 up through my 300 and 338 RUMs and never had a problem with it. So far, no stuck cases in anything. Now that I said that, I'll stick the next one I run through the dies. Also using RCBS dies.

I do clean them periodically, as well as the lube pad.

Yup, RCBS pad lube and a Lee pad for everything that goes bang caused by a trigger sear release. Yes you do have clean the dies periodically, just like anything else care and maintenance to keep in top performance mode. Replace the lube pads too now and then.

The Imperial wax thing is I think is used more in the benchrest circuit and by tightneck chambers shooters. Almost went there but can't see handling all them cases 1 at a time to lube, just put 6 or so and roll a few times on the pad.

I wipe the necks at the range after firing with a rag that has a little Hoppes on it to clean the powder fouling off and help keep my lube pad a little cleaner.

Of all the stuck cases I've had over the years they can ALL be attributed one of to 2 things or both. One being too little lube and second try to size a 'hammered' case in one stoke as mentioned in other posts.

Yup, RCBS pad lube and a Lee pad for everything that goes bang caused by a trigger sear release. Yes you do have clean the dies periodically, just like anything else care and maintenance to keep in top performance mode. Replace the lube pads too now and then.

Since I've been using One Shot, I almost never have to clean the dies other than spraying them out occasionally with carb cleaner or One Shot to flush out carbon build up from the cases.

Since I've been using One Shot, I almost never have to clean the dies other than spraying them out occasionally with carb cleaner or One Shot to flush out carbon build up from the cases.

I have never tied the One shot. How many cases (rifle magnum) does it last @.? Doesn't it make a s.*t house out of things or do you have a 'spray booth' or box of some sort. I assume you still have to wipe the cases, even if you didn't tumble, not that matters 'cause I wipe everyone after tumbling and when I prime.

Keep going folks, I'm picking up things a little at a time here. I haven't tried the solvent wipe at the range, but may do that, as I do have some tough stains around the neck on some shells.

My normal routine when I come back from a range session, is to give the cases a quick inspection for obvious defects, then toss into the tumbler.
Once they are tumbled it is easier to see any distortions, like an impending split in the neck, etc. I try to catch them here, rather than spending time processing the case and finding it later. Saves a little time on an otherwise unworthy case.
I then lube the cases 6 at a time on the pad, lube the necks with the neck brush, then resize. Never had to do it a little at a time, though, just one smooth stroke through the die. Have never had one that was hard to press. Could be just my good luck.

Next, I wipe the lube off the cases and inspect again for cracks, marks of weakness in the case necks and other places.
I chuck the primer pocket brush in my cordless drill and run the brush in each case for a second or two, then it gets inspected. I also use a pipe cleaner to clean out the neck, so there isn't any lube inside there.

Finally, they are ready to reload. And each step, priming, loading the powder, and bullet seating gets another inspection.
I don't have a runout guage, just roll the finished cartridges across the countertop.

I have never tied the One shot. How many cases (rifle magnum) does it last @.? Doesn't it make a s.*t house out of things or do you have a 'spray booth' or box of some sort. I assume you still have to wipe the cases, even if you didn't tumble, not that matters 'cause I wipe everyone after tumbling and when I prime.

If you set your cases up in a block and used it carefully, giving them a quick shot from four diection, I magine you could lube several hundred, probably over 1000 case for FL siziing from one can. The amount of lube you use will vary depending on your cases, how you size, etc. I recommend using carb cleaner to flush dies out because it's cheaper than One Shot.

I have never had to wipe down or tumble brass. One Shot leaves a thin dry film and if you're careful in spraying it on, it's almost impossible to detect after it dries.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.