.30-06 - 178 Gr ELDM H4350 FRUSTRATED

I have been shooting lots thru my HS Precision 30.06. I'm only running 53 gr in mine with 180gr. Accubonds and Partitions ... but it's an accuracy load. As your barrel is longer ... I'd consider moving to a slower burning powder and see if that might get you more velocity? H4831 or perhaps H1000 might be worth a shot? No pun intended. I run Lapua brass only. My chamber is cut fairly tight and this may also be an issue for you? I load on the lands which will tend to spike pressures compared to jumping your bullets. After 13 or so firings on your brass as the guys have mentioned ... get going on another batch of brass. Buy a box of Lapua and start over. If you aren't having the classic signs of flattened primer pockets and hard bolt lifts I wouldn't be worried about the rifle. After the 13 firings I'd be more concerned about the brass. Happy hunting!!!

My 30/06 wears a SS/Hart 1/10twist #5.5 contur 27.25 inchs mated to a 1936 Mex/Mauser action ,175SMK's ,w-w-c,H4350/57.1 grn,federal 210 gold match primer ,col3.235,Cronographed 2910 fps. Pretty much matchs yours,& I think your reload is good cause your primer pockets are not loose , long bbls make good speed ,talk or ask any High power shooter, One more thing your under max by 2grains & 2 tents on your powder charge ,cheers !

I'm using Norma brass 13 x fired. I anneal on every second firing.
You should start using new brass if I were you. Now would be a great time to go out and buy a box or two of Lapua Brass, and maybe just use the old brass for fouling shots after cleaning your barrel.

Like others have said your accuracy load may or may not be the max load with your barrel. No animal will ever notice the difference, and if your scope allows you to dial I wouldn't worry about it so too much.

As others have posted let your rifle and brass be your guide. The Quick Load results I posted showed a pressure under 65,000 psi. 270 win a more modern cartridge based on the 30-06 has a SAAMI max pressure of 65,000 psi. In a modern bolt gun I would not be worried about running the 06 at 65,000 if the load produced superior results and your gun and brass was not telling you to back off. Good Shooting!

I use the Lapua brass as well...

Take 1 case and test the accurate load I found for it by shooting it a few times with neck sizing only...

It I can get 2 or 3 neck-sizings before doing a FL,,, best mileage for the brass...

Lapua brass will give you a fraction less inside volume then the thinner brass,,, a long drop tube will help keep the charge low in the cases

I have been shooting lots thru my HS Precision 30.06. I'm only running 53 gr in mine with 180gr. Accubonds and Partitions ... but it's an accuracy load. As your barrel is longer ... I'd consider moving to a slower burning powder and see if that might get you more velocity? H4831 or perhaps H1000 might be worth a shot? No pun intended. I run Lapua brass only. My chamber is cut fairly tight and this may also be an issue for you? I load on the lands which will tend to spike pressures compared to jumping your bullets. After 13 or so firings on your brass as the guys have mentioned ... get going on another batch of brass. Buy a box of Lapua and start over. If you aren't having the classic signs of flattened primer pockets and hard bolt lifts I wouldn't be worried about the rifle. After the 13 firings I'd be more concerned about the brass. Happy hunting!!!
Winchester has a new powder out. 6.5 stabill that gives excellent velocity with the 06. By hodgdons site the best velocity of all powders, A new heat stable ball powder. Might be worth a try. H4831 is ok with 180 and 200 but 1000 is too slow.

As others have posted let your rifle and brass be your guide. The Quick Load results I posted showed a pressure under 65,000 psi. 270 win a more modern cartridge based on the 30-06 has a SAAMI max pressure of 65,000 psi. In a modern bolt gun I would not be worried about running the 06 at 65,000 if the load produced superior results and your gun and brass was not telling you to back off. Good Shooting!
Just an observation. It looks like the COAL is set at 3.220", if so could you reset it at 3.340" and run the test again?

Hi,

unfortunately my rifle a short throat. My max coal (into lands) is 3.271"
Hmm okay. Well you still have several options. You could lower your current load if you are uncomfortable with it. Nothing wrong with being prudent while loading. You could try a slower burning powder, especially since you have a longer barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.