.30-06 - 178 Gr ELDM H4350 FRUSTRATED

The brass showed no signs of pressure. No ejector marks etc. I did notice on one piece that extraction was slightly hard but that was only on one rounds and it also did not reveal any pressure marks on the case.
What brand of brass are you using, is it new, 1x, 2x? Some brass like Federal is very soft, and after the 2nd firing I've seen this happen in a '06 with their Fusion brass.
I agree, but what worried me was that one hard extraction. Had to tap on the bolt to eject that specific case. Could that relate to excessive pressure? Thanks
Just like what you're saying ^^^^ here, although with W760.

What brand of brass are you using, is it new, 1x, 2x? Some brass like Federal is very soft, and after the 2nd firing I've seen this happen in a '06 with their Fusion brass.

Just like what you're saying ^^^^ here, although with W760.
I'm using Norma brass 13 x fired. I anneal on every second firing.

It could be that your brass is just getting tired now. As some one else mentioned try firing 1or 2 brass and see how long before primer pockets get lose. Try this with some new brass though would be my thought.

Hi guys,

Just got back from the range. Here are the results;

I fired 12 rounds over the chrono (At 5m away) which resulted in a SD of 21.2 and ES of 50. AVR FPS 2906. Target at 100m.

The first & second group I shot off a wonky lead sled (For-end was unstable) quite rushed and got a 3 shot group of .765" moved the scope over a few clicks and shot a second group of.795" - This was quite frustrating (Worrying that something was wrong with the rifle or the load later to find it was something wrong with the shooter lol).

I then ditched the sled and shot off the bench using a bipod and rear bag, really taking my time and going through the fundamentals.

Managed the last group at .444".

I think i might have found my load don't you think?

No pressure signs at all. I have posted photos below. Please see round before and after firing (0 Pressure signs).

Thank you all for all your help, advice and re-assurance. A happy 2020.

Bruno.

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpg
    IMG_5791.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5792.jpg
    IMG_5792.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5793.jpg
    IMG_5793.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5788.jpg
    IMG_5788.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5787.jpg
    IMG_5787.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I didn't catch what part of the human error you found? BTW are you left hand right eye dominate? Wondering about your grip, other mechanics...

Hi guys,

Have been browsing the the forum for about a year now and finally decided to sign up. Awesome stuff.

Need some help here.

I am shooting a custom .30-06 with a 27.5 inch barrel and am struggling with a long range load using H4350 and hornady's 178 Gr Eld bullets. I managed to find a great load at 56.8 gr of H4350 @ 3.220 COAL which is just over .050 off the lands for this particular rifle. This combination shot a .5" group with a ES of 8 and SD of 22 @ 2912 FPS @ 20 Deg Celsius. Problem is this load is over max and marks a dangerous load in GORDONS RELOADING TOOL.

I have since tried to re-develop the load with no luck leaving me frustrated and annoyed.

Any advice? thanks.

Shot 57 gr to 57.5 grain in 3 different 30-06 for over 20 years.
Can't go buy the books like a bible. some guns over pressure with a charge well under max load. All my 06 shot with that powder shot around 2820 give or take 25 FPS.
I didn't use the eld-x I always used either the interlock or accubond. Hunting

Reloading books are a good guide beside your gun will tell u when to stop in most cases.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just got back from the range. Here are the results;

I fired 12 rounds over the chrono (At 5m away) which resulted in a SD of 21.2 and ES of 50. AVR FPS 2906. Target at 100m.

The first & second group I shot off a wonky lead sled (For-end was unstable) quite rushed and got a 3 shot group of .765" moved the scope over a few clicks and shot a second group of.795" - This was quite frustrating (Worrying that something was wrong with the rifle or the load later to find it was something wrong with the shooter lol).

I then ditched the sled and shot off the bench using a bipod and rear bag, really taking my time and going through the fundamentals.

Managed the last group at .444".

I think i might have found my load don't you think?

No pressure signs at all. I have posted photos below. Please see round before and after firing (0 Pressure signs).

Thank you all for all your help, advice and re-assurance. A happy 2020.

Bruno.
Take that Ledsled, tie a rope to it, and use it as a boat anchor. You will better off for the rest of your loading career.

Hodgdon lists 59grns of H4350 as max with the 175 SMK, which you can use as far as data interchangeably with the 178s. With their info you are well under. If no pressure signs then I wouldn't worry.

Also I agree lose the lead sled.

Shot 57 gr to 57.5 grain in 3 different 30-06 for over 20 years.
Can't go buy the books like a bible. some guns over pressure with a charge well under max load. All my 06 shot with that powder shot around 2820 give or take 25 FPS.
I didn't use the eld-x I always used either the interlock or accubond. Hunting

Reloading books are a good guide beside your gun will tell u when to stop in most cases.
The Speer Manual #14 has H4350 with 180gr 06 loaded up north of 57 grains. I have used loads similar to Vol1975's with 180SGK's out of 24" MOD70 classic getting MV 2825. This load worked well in the MOD 70 with no issues. My REM 700 MTN rifle could not handle it giving me pressure signs. BTW I would get 3.25 to 3.5 groups at 300 yards. Also ran a batch of 175SMK with 57 grains and 3.3 coal with no issues out of twice fired cases.

Last edited:
For all you gun nuts that have experience reloading .30-06, would this normally be a dangerous load?

also, in relation to barrel ware, is 2900+ perhaps too fast?

You have to remember that the 30.06 is a pretty old cartridge, and there are still many rifles out there approaching or over 100 years old. It seems like the reloading manuals tend to be more conservative on the maximum loads for the older cartridges, as a safety factor.

upload_2020-1-6_10-24-49.png

Just an FYI - ran your load specs in quick load. My version does not have the ELD bullets listed so used the Amax. Adjusted BA to match your recorded velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.