Anyone load 30-06 178 ELDX with H4350

dsotm

Have any pet loads you'd like to share with me? Going to start working this up and hopefully put a hole in a javelina next month :D gun)

I have t tried the ELD- X yet.
Before switching to the 208 ELD, I have a extremely accurate load with the 178 Amax and IMR 4350. I would start at 51 grains and work up.. I got accuracy at 2750 fps average over ten shots...

I have some loaded up,but am waiting for my smith to build the rifle hopefully later this month,with the sun out and temps going up its time to get some shooting happening

Can't find H4350 near me but did try the IMR 4451.

According to Hornady they list 46.6-55.9 gr for 2300-2700 fps.

I ran it up and got to 55.3 with a little more pressure than I like and the chrono verified it. 22" barrel at 2755 fps. Going to drop it down and see if it shoots the same.

Between 54.5-55.5 gr the groups looked about the same so going to work around the 54.7 and see if the pressure reduces enough for comfort.

They also seem to like a little more jump in my rifle as opposed to being closer to the lands.

dsotm

I whipped up a few loads using RL-26 just to see if it would work with this bullet in the 06. Ended up that it worked great. Shot a couple of sub MOA groups out of a sporter weight Sako at 200 yards running 62.2 gr that averaged 2,900 fps with an ES of 14. Primers - Fed 215s with a jump of 0.030" and 26 inch barrel. The tightest group was shot with 0.055" jump but ES wasn't as good.

dsotm

I whipped up a few loads using RL-26 just to see if it would work with this bullet in the 06. Ended up that it worked great. Shot a couple of sub MOA groups out of a sporter weight Sako at 200 yards running 62.2 gr that averaged 2,900 fps with an ES of 14. Primers - Fed 215s with a jump of 0.030" and 26 inch barrel. The tightest group was shot with 0.055" jump but ES wasn't as good.
Cool load, what was the barrel length on the Sako?? 26" was correct? when you say this bullet, which one specifically are you referring to??:)

Have any pet loads you'd like to share with me? Going to start working this up and hopefully put a hole in a javelina next month :D gun)

Depending on the twist but the load I have found to shoot in about any 06 is H4350 with a 180 gr bullet. load 57 gr and load it just off the lands. shot around 2850 fps.

now I shoot the interlock bullets from hornady in this because its cheap and out shoots the partion and the accubond at 300 yards. can't tell a difference in the group at close range say 150 yards and in but at 300 yards the interlock out shot the other bullets hands down out of a factory 06. group size was a legit 2.5 inch- 5 shot group at 300yards very consist.

this load is my meat and potatoes load for just general hunting. very effective on deer. fast expansion and can be a little messy on the meat.

That's my 2 cents

Can't find H4350 near me but did try the IMR 4451.

According to Hornady they list 46.6-55.9 gr for 2300-2700 fps.

I ran it up and got to 55.3 with a little more pressure than I like and the chrono verified it. 22" barrel at 2755 fps. Going to drop it down and see if it shoots the same.

Between 54.5-55.5 gr the groups looked about the same so going to work around the 54.7 and see if the pressure reduces enough for comfort.

They also seem to like a little more jump in my rifle as opposed to being closer to the lands.

I finally got some 4451 with 178 ELDX in my O6
What load did you end up at and what COAL did use?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.