.30-06 - 178 Gr ELDM H4350 FRUSTRATED

Thanks gentlemen. So should o keep using this load???? Or is it too dangerous???
IMO no one can tell you for sure if this is a dangerous load or not without pressure testing. That said it sounds like a safe load. We'd really need to see a picture of that one sticky case. And load data from Hornady's Load manual would be good too. If it were me I'd run it. If it makes you nervous back it down a bit to a accurate load with acceptable velocity for you and call it good.

I'd keep shooting but obviously proceed with caution if your gut tells you that. I've loaded H4350 a grain or two over max with H4350 before and it seems to be very forgiving. The only time I got pressure signs was using federal TLR's

I will say, Norma brass has always been on the softer side. It seems to show pressure before other brands. Not all, some. The only thing that brings pause, is the very high fired count. That could have work hardened the case, not counting the neck since you anneal often.
I would run it in that brass, but would probably rework the load once you buy new brass.
I'm impressed with the round count, I always get loose pockets before I ever get that high.

I think that if you had the forethought to mark that one case that gave you the pressure signs, you can probably figure out why. Since all the rest of them worked just fine, and you're not way over the recommended load for that powder & bullet weight, I wouldn't worry about one case sticking - there's likely something wrong with that particular case.

One thing you might look for is whether or not that the case was a little too long, and the neck was getting pinched around the bullet by the end of the chamber neck. This could cause a pressure spike, and possibly make it stick in the chamber on extraction. You mentioned annealing, but not case length trimming. There are other factors in this equation, and that's just one that comes to mind.

Lastly, the high velocity you mentioned is probably a function of having a pretty long barrel. Somebody else mentioned this already, and I second the notion. I have found that a couple inches of extra barrel length can make a bigger difference than the often-quoted figure of 25 fps/inch. I have a 30-06 Ackley that started out with a 26" barrel, and was then cut back to 24". The same load was 100 fps faster before the barrel was shortened, not the 50 fps I had been expecting. ( I was also using H-4350, with a 180-grain Swift A-Frame.)

Thanks gentlemen. So should o keep using this load???? Or is it too dangerous???
I am not a professional shooter or competitor but I have hunted for more than 50 years with a 30-06 only and this is just my opinion but I believe your loads are too hot. The primer shows signs of cratering. Most actions are made to withstand forces beyond the recommendations of what SAMMI considers to be maximum loads and I believe it is done to protect the shooter from accidental overloads but not constantly shooting at those loads you mention. I would rather err on the side of safety. Yes you do have a longer barrel but I do not think shooting such a heavy bullet at 2900 fps is safe. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
it also depends if you're going for maximum velocity or maximum accuracy. Occasionally they cross paths, but you usually have to pick one over the other. For hunting applications, my Ruger M77 30.06 is loaded for accuracy. My Nosler BT 180 gn loads are .406 moa, around 2650 MV (I'd have to look).

Last edited:
No way am I going to tell you what is safe or not in your rifle. If you read the posts you will find shooters having no problem with this load IN THEIR RIFLES. 2900 is only 25fps per inch faster than my 180 SGK load out of 24" and that's about right. 13 X fired brass sounds like it can't be too bad, but maybe time for new brass. Look up load data in Speer #14 load manual. The picture of the fired primer should also be flattened on the edges if you were near max, heck if it was a load with near full pressure I would expect loose primer pockets after 13 firings and a primer flatter than a beer can after a tank ran over it. You have to decide what you think best.

The pressure level for the 06 was set eons ago. No reason it cannot run the same pressure as a modern cartridge. By the way what kind of brass are you using? Remington, norma and nosler is soft too as it is made by Norma. Try some lapua brass. If it weighs the same as what you are using load and go. Lapua is much tougher brass and usually very uniform.

The pressure level for the 06 was set eons ago. No reason it cannot run the same pressure as a modern cartridge. By the way what kind of brass are you using? Remington, norma and nosler is soft too as it is made by Norma. Try some lapua brass. If it weighs the same as what you are using load and go. Lapua is much tougher brass and usually very uniform.
Also do not worry about barrel wear. 06 or anything else heat and pressure. And under 60 grains in a 30 it will shoot a long time.

Yuppers,,, lots of folks have chimed in...

Watch the brass and enjoy the good times...

I agree on the boat anchor lead-sled,,, once you find a solid bunny ear bag to get your rifle planted you'll never go back...

Don't cheap out,,, get the top quality rear bag as it last you a life time...

Cheers from the North

Buy this brand brass check prices obviously.
https://www.lapua.com/cases/30-06-spring/
Redo your ladder test looking for pressure again. Primers can fix the ES/SD.
Book loads are a very good guide, however your rifle may be more or less restrictive in dimensions to allow more or less powder than the book. Just the brand of brass can show significant changes in the amount of pressure a given load has in the rifle.
Good luck and good shooting

Worried about pressure? If your brass expands more than .001 on the head you should back down a little but your primer pockets will tell the story. If my primers are getting loose after 3 or 4 firings I back off a grain and try again. But some rifles need to be shot hot to shoot really well. I blame it on a slightly oversize barrel , Takes high pressure to obturate the bullet to fit. I once had a 375 weatherby model 70 rechamber. Sierra or Hornady cup and core bullet? 2 1/2 inch groups. Swift a frame and nosler partition shot like crazy. Why? The open rear end easily swelled up to fit the bore is my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.