Frustrated and not sure what to do?

Bigeclipse

Built a savage 7mm08 rifle on long action with custom barrel. This is my third savage built. Went to go do an OCW test at 100 yards. Loaded 5 charge weights with 140 grain nosler accubonds with varget, in brand new lapua brass which were all resized to ensure same neck tension. Went to the range and began the test. This is the 5th time I've done the OCW method and it has worked well for me in the other 4 times with my other rifles. I load 4 rounds when I do this test just incase I call a flyer. Well the test seemed like it was going well so I decided to shoot all 4 rounds in each group. My results were not good. I know you are supposed to look for the 3 consecutive charge weights which have similar POI but I couldn't help but notice every group had a flyer. I mean a BAD flyer. We are talking every charge weight was sub MOA minus the flyers but then the flyers would bring the groups to 1.5-2moa!!! Thoughts on what is causing these bad flyers? I am not a pro shot but I do take it seriously and shoot a decent amount. I make sure if I ever start to flinch I end my shooting sessions. I focus on breathing properly and staying calm and my trigger finger. Please all thoughts are welcomed.

Last edited:
I have learned to go and check everything on the rifle to make sure all mounts are tightened to spec. I am not the smartest guy either. Took me years of having things come loose before I got an inch lb. torque driver. Seems now that very rarely is there an issue anymore. Action screws, rail mounts, scope mounts, rings. I've had 'em all come loose. Not visually loose, just not quite tight anymore.

Other than that, the normal make sure the barrel is floated.

Steve

I have learned to go and check everything on the rifle to make sure all mounts are tightened to spec. I am not the smartest guy either. Took me years of having things come loose before I got an inch lb. torque driver. Seems now that very rarely is there an issue anymore. Action screws, rail mounts, scope mounts, rings. I've had 'em all come loose. Not visually loose, just not quite tight anymore.

Other than that, the normal make sure the barrel is floated.

Steve

+1! Please take no offense, but the NUT behind the trigger remains one of the biggest factors in accuracy and sometimes often overlooked despite how hard we try.

Have a buddy shoot it and see how it goes. Last season, I loaded for a friend's son's .270 Win and he was getting similar result but when but when my friend shot it, there's no problem noted.

Good luck!

It sounds like you have your ammo all good. If everything else is torqued to specs, action, base, rings, and scope check to see if the barrel is touching the stock and putting a pressure point on your barrel.
I had a Ruger rifle that would put two shots touching then the third one would go off 1.5 to 2 inches found the barrel was having pressure against the stock after a couple of shots and that was causing the flyer. Simple fix just sand a little off the stock at the pressure point.

+1! Please take no offense, but the NUT behind the trigger remains one of the biggest factors in accuracy and sometimes often overlooked despite how hard we try.

Have a buddy shoot it and see how it goes. Last season, I loaded for a friend's son's .270 Win and he was getting similar result but when but when my friend shot it, there's no problem noted.

Good luck!

I routinely shoot sub moa 5-10 shot groups with my other rifles so I really don't think it is me. This happened with every group of this rifle so far.

I am having the same problem with a light weight .300 Win Mag with a Krieger barrel. Also with Accubonds interestingly.

In my case, it may be barrel heating. I plan to keep track of which shot in the string is the flier. Consistently first or last could be a clue.

The problem may also be this is a difficult rifle to shoot from the bench.

Different bullet is the next step.

My latest experiences that sound similar to yours seem to be due to bedding of the action into the stock. I'm still proving out that theory but it seems to be holding.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.