What to do with the 10mm......

I shoot a Ruger 1911 in 10mm and my friends son shoots a glock 40 in 10mm. I was loading him Hornady XTP's and hard cast for myself. After a few loading sessions of using my brass mixed with his I soon discovered the empties shot through the glock had a bulge and would not drop in a Wilson case gauge after loading like mine would. Told him I couldn't load any more for him as his glock was boogering my Starline brass.

I shoot a Ruger 1911 in 10mm and my friends son shoots a glock 40 in 10mm. I was loading him Hornady XTP's and hard cast for myself. After a few loading sessions of using my brass mixed with his I soon discovered the empties shot through the glock had a bulge and would not drop in a Wilson case gauge after loading like mine would. Told him I couldn't load any more for him as his glock was boogering my Starline brass.

Thanks for the information on the Glock chambers. After reading some the replies on here, I probably will purchase an aftermarket barrel, not sure what I am going to get.

FWIW...Rim Rock's website says that BB uses their projectiles in BB's loaded ammo. Doesn't address their bulk sales.

Ed

I posted in a previous reply where I called Rim Rock bullets today and spoke to the owner of the company, Frank Brown. He told me that the bullets that he is selling bulk are the same bullets he provides to Buffalo Bore to make their ammunition. That was a concern of mine also, thus the reason for the call to Rim Rock.

A 220gr bullet is getting awfully heavy for a 10mm. Other than the potential stability issues that some folks have brought up, it's worth doing some actual penetration testing and comparing the 220s to something like a 200gr bullet. I've shoot a lot of 220gr bullets in the 10mm revolvers with great results but I load them long (1.600") to fit the cylinders. If I were limited to 1.260" I'd stick with the 200gr bullets.

As a side note, look at bullets for the 38-40 WCF for more heavy bullet choices in the 10mm.

I would go with powder coated bullets in an aftermarket barrel. Maybe the G40 or new G20 barrels have tighter chambers than my G20 oem barrel had. I don't know.
I do know the button rifled Lone Wolf ss barrel I installed in my pistol had a much tighter chamber and did not give me guppy belly empties. Both barrels function fine with everything I've shot thru them that was in spec.
Personally, I've stopped trying to turn a 10 mm auto into a 41 mag.
Even with the 22 lb spring I put in when I swapped barrels I still got some frame battering.
However, the CEB 190 gr Penetrator is the next bullet I will try in my pistol. @ 1250 fps I think it will work great.
I did euthanize a bison with the 220 gr Buffalo Bore ammo in my G20 from about 20 yards away . back of the head/neck. It worked fine . But did not exit. View attachment 142850

I also popped this black bear with them after I shot it with my 9.3x64 Brenneke. Those 220 gr BB 10 mm bullets did not exit either. But they did travel about 18" they the bear . plus. I couldn't find the 2 bullets in the launch after they went thru the thoracic cavity. View attachment 142851
Range on the bear was about 25 feet.
This is good info.

I haven't shot bear with a pistol, but last fall I shot an elk with my muzzleloader using a hardcast bullet. I was amazed at the penetration (stem to stern), but not impressed with the slow killing. She ran a couple of hundred yards after the shot. I'd be inclined to try one of the specialty bullets designed for hunting. I'd want some expansion when shooting a bear at close range. A flat wadcutter shocks pretty well, but may not feed in your Glock. The fat bear I shot had most of the fat on his back, so you wouldn't necessarily be shooting through that.

I have never owned a Glock or shot one? But I have 2 Kimber 10 MM's and I
Carry a Commander sized D. Wesson V-Bob 10 and I'm happy with 9 shots!
For the reasons I carry here in Kentucky any of my 3 are just fine!
We have open carry in Ky. As long as you can legally buy it you can carry it.
I keep my Deadly Weapons card so I'm covered when I go out of state.

A 220gr bullet is getting awfully heavy for a 10mm. Other than the potential stability issues that some folks have brought up, it's worth doing some actual penetration testing and comparing the 220s to something like a 200gr bullet. I've shoot a lot of 220gr bullets in the 10mm revolvers with great results but I load them long (1.600") to fit the cylinders. If I were limited to 1.260" I'd stick with the 200gr bullets.

As a side note, look at bullets for the 38-40 WCF for more heavy bullet choices in the 10mm.

From all of the posts that I am reading the 200 grain bullets in the 10mm seem to be way to go. I've got 300 bullets coming so will be finding out quite quickly. Will have to go back to see if the there are some 200 grain hard cast bullets available at Rim Rock. I know that there are jacketed hollow points in 200 grain available, I have some of them.

Sorry about the ads:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/10mm-auto-self-defense-ammo-ballistic-gel-tests/

I'd just like to add here about the heavy 220 grain bullets. From some of the gel tests that I have viewed the heavy weight bullets are quite impressive. I'm still going to look for alternatives to the 220 grain heavy weights. The Lehigh penetrators and defense bullets are some bullets that are interesting also.

Last edited:
Great read. And...he was using the wrong ammo and...he didn't have a fully loaded magazine. Excerpt from article:
As an afterthought, he took the GLOCK 20 10mm pistol from his vehicle and shoved it in his waistband behind his cowboy belt. It was loaded with 175 grain Hornady Critical Duty FlexLock loads. The magazine only had 10-12 rounds in it. A few months earlier, he had heard the theory of "spring set" and decided not to keep the magazine fully loaded.

Yet...he still prevailed! 10mm may not be what you go hunting bears with (or maybe it is?) but it can sure make a good defensive tool against them. Good guy with 10mm wins...again!

jd green 10mm (1).JPG
Here is a pic of my 180 gr hard cast powder coated bullets before and after shooting into a barrel of sand at 1125 fps at 20 yards

I use the red hi-tek coated 200 wfn available from montanna in my RIA 5200, No9 powder pushes them at 1360fps!
https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/10mm-lbt-200gr-wfn-pb/
avail in .400, .401, and .402--slug your bore for correct fit, they sell GC ones too

I know a few guys that use them in their oem glocks and they have to seat the bullet a bit deeper to get them to feed right but they love them too (I seat them at 1.210" as the meaplat on the WFN-.325" is so wide it hits the lands early--I plunk tested them to find the best length for chamber fit and feeding)

I bought bullets from BT before and was not happy with the CS so I switched to montanna --his CS is top notch-- I was one of the original testers of the hi-tek coated bullets, you used to have to ask for them, now he has a drop down option for either LBT or hi-tek coating--avail in 100 or 500 count boxes at 22bhn
DSC1159-10mm-lbt-200gr-wfn-pb-e1543850505802.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.