what to do with cases with excessive neck run out?

For one, if your numbers are based on readings from a Hornady concentricity gage, then your actual runout is way way higher. Sorry..
Also, you can't expect to produce straight ammo from new brass. That will never happen.
Brass must be fireformed and then reloaded straight.

My bullet run out will be measured on the Hornady. My neck run out was measured using RCBS case master. I guess I never mentioned that.

I understand that fire formed and more uniform brass (all the measuring and neck turning noted above) will make for straighter, more consistent run out. How do you normaly fire form your new brass? Do you load it and shoot it knowing it is not the best or use something other than a bullet to get this done?

At this point, I would like to shoot this thing at least a few times. Knowing I did not use the best possible ammo, I would at least use my best new brass and get some once fired brass at the same time.

Thanks, Casey

When I was making my 7mm-375Ruger brass I initially had about 50% of the brass with .005-.007 runout at the ogive of the bullet. I was very suprised to see that they grouped right in there with the .0005-.003 all the way out to 600yds. Measured with an RCBS Casemaster. When I found the best load with the virgin brass, it just got sweeter with the fireformed. Like the other guy's are saying, just shoot em', you might be pleasantly surprised!

As others have stated... keep fireforming and culling with a little neck turning along the way.

This isn't helpful.... But, life is too short to spend much time on non-uniform brass. It's so much more fun to be out shooting. If Lapua doesn't make the brass, I think twice about building the rifle.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.