Frustrated...need help!

BoomFlop

So I am a new Reloader! So take it easy on me. LOL

I have LC09 223 brass. It has been fired in 2 different bolt guns.

I have cleaned and inspected them all.

When I measure with Hornady headspace gauge, my measurements are difficult as the primers are sticking out of some and not others, so it is impossible to get a good reading.

I am wanting to get them to SAMMI specs to start. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and Redding 2-Die set. Directions say to turn die to shell holder and that's it. I don't seem to get very consistent measurements there. However, I can with hard pressure on the shell holder as the press then stops and if I keep going, it then goes and come to a stop. Doing this gives me very consistent measurements of 1.4510 on the headspace gauge.

I'm super frustrated, and pretty disappointed in myself for not being able to figure this out and want to be sure that what I am doing is going to be SAFE!

Can someone please help me.

Steve

First, you cannot check the headspace measurement with a primer seated, exactly for the reasons you described, decap them before measuring.
Second, as you are using a two die set, which I assume is a full length sizing die, you do not need to really concern yourself with the headspace measurement as that die will set the brass to a minimum spec to fit all SAMMI chambers.

Screw it in until it bottoms on the shellholder, then just a gnat's *** more to get a bit of cam over and you are good to go. get that going then we will talk about body dies and setting shoulder back etc..

Not a huge problem if I understand you. The first thing to do is deprime before you measure them so you can get a good read. You can do this if you run your spindle on your resize die down a ways so you aren't bumping the shoulder at this time. I would lube the case before though.
Sounds like you are adjusting the size die to "cam over" which should get you at least to Saami and probably farther. Each die/shell holder/press combination usually will give you a different result.

Are you swaging or cutting the crimp out of the primer pockets? Primers sticking out past flush is a no-go. A 5 thousandths (.005) recess is better.

I am lost as to why brass needs to get back to saami specs as you state. First, even with a small base die I am positive you cannot get it back to new brass diameter. Not that over working the brass may be an issue, may or may not, wouldn't just getting it to cycle in the new chamber be sufficient? Right now, you are just going for excessive growth on the first firing again, when basically that had been eliminated.

It is Lake City brass from Black Hills Ammunition, so the primer pockets have already been taken care of.

So, don't worry about anything other than getting them to SAMMI specs and all the same for the first firing and then after that keep them separated by rifle and worry about bumping shoulders then?

Correct?

If the bolt close on a case then shoot them and then measure.
Saami or not all reamers are not the same.

So when I sized them based on Redding and Eklarsons recommendation my headspace gauge puts it at 1.4500 with 330 bushing.

Is that okay or do I need to throw all these away and buy new brass now?

So when I sized them based on Redding and Eklarsons recommendation my headspace gauge puts it at 1.4500 with 330 bushing.

Is that okay or do I need to throw all these away and buy new brass now?
We have some numbers thrown out. You never mentioned how many pcs of brass you have, and made reference that it may be serving 2 rifles if I understood correctly.
I would load 10 cases with a hard jam into the lands, shoot, knock the primers out and remeasure, see what growth is, report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.