Frustrated...need help!

You will be fine, load them and shoot them
Sorry, but I do not feel your advice is sound. I only have a Whidden case gauge for 223 so I cannot gather my own numbers.
One poster gave these: The datum line for the .223 is 1.4636-1.4736". That is for a SAAMI chamber.
Op has these numbers: "puts it at 1.4500 with 330 bushing".

The potential for case head separation is high if these numbers are close to being correct. I'm not going into detail, and hate for someone to throw money away, but having to replace brass after 3 firings is not where a new reloader needs to be, IMO.

One more time to the OP, I think you need to figure out what your case growth is going to be before proceeding too far. Jamming a bullet in the lands is a safe way to fireform to your chamber. You can fire a factory rd and get a ball park figure, knowing that the brass did not grow fully on one firing.

Milo-2

I "had" 117 pcs of LC09 brass.

My unfired Black Hills ammo is 1.4545". Fired is 1.4595. I was trying to get it to 1.4575 (.002 bump), but some how with small changes it wasn't doing anything and then it was too far. I was only rotating the die about 1/4" (if that makes sense).

I think I'm just going to discard them, and start with new brass. Might go with Starline until I get my life figured out LOL. Then I will purchase Lapua brass.

Steve

heres a video that fits your exact dilemma

camover can still be achieved at taller shoulder measurements using redding competition shell holders

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101247083?pid=359546

there are alot of other case heads that they can be used on , but in the 223 category not alot of common ones and alot of pistol cases that really have no need for a competition set

• 17 Remington
  • 17 Mach IV
  • 17 Javelina
  • 17-221 Remington
  • 17-222 Remington
  • 17- 222 Remington Magnum
  • 17-223 Remington
  • 204 Ruger
  • 22 Lovell 2R
  • 221 Fireball
  • 222 Remington
  • 222 Remington Magnum
  • 223 Remington
  • 6mm TCU
  • 6mm-222 Remington
  • 6mm-223 Remington
  • 6mm- 222 Remington Magnum
  • 25 TCU
  • 25-20 Single Shot
  • 25-221 Remington
  • 25-222 Remington
  • 25- 222 Remington Magnum
  • 25-223 Remington
  • 257 Kimber
  • 6.5mm TCU
  • 6.5mm-223 Remington
  • 7mm TCU
  • 7mm-222 Remington Magnum
  • 7mm-223 Remington
  • 30-223 Remington
  • 300-221 Remington
  • 32 Short Colt
  • 32 Long Colt
  • 32 S&W
  • 32 S&W Long
  • 32 H&R Magnum
  • 380 ACP
  • 9x18mm Ultra
but , when it comes to the 308 win #1 & the 300 wm #6 both of those have alot of bottleneck cases with same category , so that price tag doesnt hurt so bad

you can also use the feeler gauge method to accomplish the same thing

Last edited:
Milo-2

I "had" 117 pcs of LC09 brass.

My unfired Black Hills ammo is 1.4545". Fired is 1.4595. I was trying to get it to 1.4575 (.002 bump), but some how with small changes it wasn't doing anything and then it was too far. I was only rotating the die about 1/4" (if that makes sense).

I think I'm just going to discard them, and start with new brass. Might go with Starline until I get my life figured out LOL. Then I will purchase Lapua brass.

Steve

I know I've said this a million times, but this is the problem is with shoulder bumping for most people. 1/36th of a turn on your die is .002", 1/4 turn is WAY too much. That's why your not seeing anything, and then your seeing too much.
To make an adjustment of .001 when your getting close, you barely move the die, basically you move it as little as you can. Then measure again and make the necessary adjustment.

I've been looking at them. Do they work really well then? It will at least give a guy a reference to go off of if nothing else. Should be pretty exact as 36 hash marks would be .00197 (basically .002) with .071 being a full turn on a typical die.

I might have to do that.

FL dies size cases UNDER SAAMI minimum so they will fit ALL chambers including SAAMI MINIMUM chambers.

As a full length die reduces the diameter of the case body it elongates the case INCRRASING the distance from case head to shoulder datum. At some point in the die adjustment down the case shoulder will make contact with the die and start moving the shoulder back towards the base.

Think about your child hood days rolling Play-Doh, making it smaller in diameter also made it longer.

I've been looking at them. Do they work really well then? It will at least give a guy a reference to go off of if nothing else. Should be pretty exact as 36 hash marks would be .00197 (basically .002) with .071 being a full turn on a typical die.

I might have to do that.

Yeah I have found it to work quite well. Think of it like a lock ring that can change its thickness to move the die up and down within the press head.

I have had great results using the PMA die adjusters and have them on 8 resizing dies.

Consistent shoulder bump can also vary due to differences in brass hardness, amount of lube and your press stroke.

When measuring base to datum, make sure you are being very consistent in your method.

It's important to use a different (unsized) case for each step as you set up your die.

Sorry, but I do not feel your advice is sound. I only have a Whidden case gauge for 223 so I cannot gather my own numbers.
One poster gave these: The datum line for the .223 is 1.4636-1.4736". That is for a SAAMI chamber.
Op has these numbers: "puts it at 1.4500 with 330 bushing".

The potential for case head separation is high if these numbers are close to being correct. I'm not going into detail, and hate for someone to throw money away, but having to replace brass after 3 firings is not where a new reloader needs to be, IMO.

One more time to the OP, I think you need to figure out what your case growth is going to be before proceeding too far. Jamming a bullet in the lands is a safe way to fireform to your chamber. You can fire a factory rd and get a ball park figure, knowing that the brass did not grow fully on one firing.
I don't believe .01 will cause a head separation, not even close. Nor am I convinced that is the true measurement but just trying to help. Fill free to disregard.

I don't believe .01 will cause a head separation, not even close. Nor am I convinced that is the true measurement but just trying to help. Fill free to disregard.
If the O.P measurements are correct its .013 to .023 shorter than saami not 1 thou. If its .023 it certainly can

If the OP resized his cases, per the directions of the die...he'll be fine. The cartridges will chamber and fire fine and do so safely. So much anxiety over...nothing. Once he fires them, he can then play around with changing how MUCH he pushes the shoulder back for the rifle in question to try and minimizes how much he 'works' the brass in the future. And that's where this conversation is helpful...once that point arrives.

I dont know how many threads I've read were " I set my dies up just like the instructions said screw all the way down to the shell holder and back off a 1/4 turn but my bolt closes hard or I'm getting cases that are splitting what's the problem."

If the OP resized his cases, per the directions of the die...he'll be fine. The cartridges will chamber and fire fine and do so safely. So much anxiety over...nothing. Once he fires them, he can then play around with changing how MUCH he pushes the shoulder back for the rifle in question to try and minimizes how much he 'works' the brass in the future. And that's where this conversation is helpful...once that point arrives.

Boom.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.