NEW ACTION- Pierce Engineering Skele-Ti

You should be able to do that. My Pierce is at 6.5lbs ready to hunt and I added a proof sendero barrel instead of light and a eh5 stock. Along with some other not the lightest parts. I do want to try for the lightest I can some day. Short 16" tube pencil thin big bore and heavy flute. Guy gotta have dreams
Mine will just be an 18" pencil barrel .260ai likely, rock creek #1 short shanked

Nice action. Why not shave some more weight by trimming the bolt knob. All you need is a flat vertical knob instead of the teardrop design or possibly no knob at all just add some checkering for grip. See how you like the feel.

Last edited:
Nice action. Why not shave some more weight by trimming the bolt knob. All you need is a flat vertical knob instead of the teardrop design or possibly no knob at all just add some checkering for grip. See how you like the feel.
The knob is aluminum and weighs less than 1/2 an ounce. So we made it look cool instead haha. We also were able to utilize our existing bolt knobs and just modify them with the pockets in them. So instead of making a whole new part, it was as simple as adding one more step to an already existing part.

EDIT: I weighed one of the Skeletonized knobs. It's 0.2oz on the scale. Not much there haha

Last edited:
The knob is aluminum and weighs less than 1/2 an ounce. So we made it look cool instead haha. We also were able to utilize our existing bolt knobs and just modify them with the pockets in them. So instead of making a whole new part, it was as simple as adding one more step to an already existing part.

EDIT: I weighed one of the Skeletonized knobs. It's 0.2oz on the scale. Not much there haha
OK. You could save some machining steps and money by eliminating the knob completely and eliminate the threading required for a knob. Never understood why you needed a knob. Many competition pellet and .22 rifles don't have a knob.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone wouldn't want a bolt knob on a hunting rifle. You better believe I want something to grab onto when it's snow, cold, or raining
I concur. The knob feels better when running the gun. Air rifles and 22's don't have heavy bolt lift and usually aren't all that important to run fast. And in the bolt rifle 22 comps where they do run them fast, they usually have a decent bolt knob or handle of some kind that is easy to grip.

On our standard actions (not the lightened Skele-Ti or Shadow models) we have 3 bolt handle options. One is the standard "Light Tac" that's similar to the one above without any lightning pockets, the other is our "Heavy Tac" which is just a beefier handle and comes with a bigger Tac knob, and the third is a round ball handle without threads just a solid round ball and handle. Out of those 3 the ball handle is WAY less common. Like 95-98% of the actions we sell don't have a ball knob. So that tells us that people want threaded bolt handles and like the knobs. I can't recall in the last two years of anyone ordering an action or requesting to have an action with no bolt knob at all, so we're not going to take that away from our customers.

How doe it compare to the Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 ti action?
(I like 3 lug bolts.)
I've never seen one of those rifles or actions in person. The Pierce actions are fully CNC machined from high quality materials that are pre-hardened before machining and held to very tight tolerances throughout every operation. Our actions also are timed very well with Triggertech triggers with 0.240+ firing pin fall, .060 firing pin protrusion, .068 diameter pin tips, 24-28lb firing pin springs, this all makes for a very smooth functioning bolt lift and bolt close and excellent ignition. I have no idea what's inside a Weatherby or how they're manufactured or what the QC is. I'll say every single one of our actions is inspected to insure it's inside our tolerances and they're cycled and check to make sure the pin fall, protrusion, and general functions are correct. When you buy a custom action, you're generally getting more than just the physical action and the design. You're typically getting the consistency from action to action and part to part and the QC that makes sure everything works as it's supposed to and designed to.

Last edited:
Jud how do these and the shadows do timing wise with the bix n Andy tac sport pro triggers? Can you recommend a sear height?