Pierce Engineering Ti Rifles

highdrum, are you speaking from experience with a Pierce action?
Not a Pierce, just several titanium from a different manufacturer that's considered one the best ti action makers. I haven't had any issues with mine personally, but what I have saw, is enough to steer me away for life. Especially considering a bat vampire/bumblebee or defiance antiX are near same weights.

Not a Pierce, just several titanium from a different manufacturer that's considered one the best ti action makers. I haven't had any issues with mine personally, but what I have saw, is enough to steer me away for life. Especially considering a bat vampire/bumblebee or defiance antiX are near same weights.
Was the issue with the lugs on the bolts? Or the lug abutments in the receivers? I ask as I haven't, personally, seen either. And, so far as I know, only Pierce is offering the titanium bolt option... so I assume you're talking about the combination of steel lugs and titanium abutments?

A lot of lug gauling and stickiness is caused by the hardness of the material and coatings used on the material. The lug gauling is an issue on some stainless actions too, it's not just an issue on Ti actions. Don't label all Ti actions the same. With our process of manufacturing and the coatings we use, our Ti actions are very slick and very reliable.

I dont know if Pierce does a .580 bolt face or not, but I would agree that I would not want a Ti action for that. I dont want 99% of the steel actions out there for that bolt face. Not if you want to run them hard.
With the pvd coating Pierce does galling is a non issue. I would want them coated for sure.
For me personally, I really only consider Ti actions for .480 bolt face based cases anyhow. They can run them at top pressure with no issues and I dont want a magnum that light!

Was the issue with the lugs on the bolts? Or the lug abutments in the receivers? I ask as I haven't, personally, seen either. And, so far as I know, only Pierce is offering the titanium bolt option... so I assume you're talking about the combination of steel lugs and titanium abutments?
Sorry guess I should have stated more clearly, there is setback/gauling in the titanium abutments. The smith that built this rifle builds the majority of his rifles on this ti action. He told me he's had a lot 9f customers contacting him with issues lately. These are rifles in the 400-600 round count when it begins to happen, most of them are 28N running 195s pretty hard.