New 30/375 wildcat

The neck length is .320 on my cases but it's trimmed back compared to what it was originally so I could have the cases all the same length. 2.252 nearest I can measure to the neck shoulder junction. 2.562 OAL. .511 on a sized case across the shoulder. 35 degree shoulder angle.

The gunsmith designed the reamer and owns it. If I continue on with 30-375RPR I'll have him chamber it again.

gunman123,
Could you post a drawing with specs of your 30 - 375 casing. Or the spec sheet for the chamber reamer?

If not, what's the dimension from the case head to the shoulder. That's about the only dimension lacking on your casing, from the information you've already provided. Thanks for contributing.

Just curious, what is the status of this project now?

I have a reamer designed and the manufacturer is waiting for the go ahead. Dies are about 8-10 weeks out from Hornady. Most of the rifle components are ordered and I plan on having one put together by around the first of March.....Rich

gunman123,
Could you post a drawing with specs of your 30 - 375 casing. Or the spec sheet for the chamber reamer?

If not, what's the dimension from the case head to the shoulder. That's about the only dimension lacking on your casing, from the information you've already provided. Thanks for contributing.

The nearest I can measure is 2.125

Sorry I can't help out farther. The gunsmith has all the actual dimensions. I don't believe he wants them public.

What would the problem be with pushing the shoulder back with a regular 375 Ruger die modified like Paul has said then stepping the neck down with a bushing die and fire forming the shoulder out to 40 degrees.

What would the problem be with pushing the shoulder back with a regular 375 Ruger die modified like Paul has said then stepping the neck down with a bushing die and fire forming the shoulder out to 40 degrees.

If Pauls theory works with the 375 die, and I think it will, that is what we plan on doing. This also falls right in with Gunmans spec. My case body is slightly longer with about the same neck. (because of the 40 degree shoulder). Also my body will have .006" less taper.
The end result will be around a 1 grain increase in case capacity over Gunmans case (although I haven't really calculated that)......Rich

OK, it's making sense in my little grey cells now. One thing that is abundantly clear to me now is a guy better not tell Kiff to grind till you've figured out how your going to deal with sizing. Thanks for putting the "thinking" part of the process out where people can learn from it!!!!

OK, it's making sense in my little grey cells now. One thing that is abundantly clear to me now is a guy better not tell Kiff to grind till you've figured out how your going to deal with sizing. Thanks for putting the "thinking" part of the process out where people can learn from it!!!!

You got it! HAPPY grinding has gotten me in trouble in the past:D. Sounds like Pa is bloodying up the Dillon countryside with that new smokepole......Rich
p.s. I will probably have Dave start grinding tomorrow.....

That should leave around a .346" neck, right?........Rich

No, the neck is somewhere around .320 currently. It's hard to measure exactly. Maybe it was close to .346 before I cut them all to the same length??? By the time you do all the forming the cases vary a lot in length so you have to pick the shortest ones and cut the rest to that length.

No, the neck is somewhere around .320 currently. It's hard to measure exactly. Maybe it was close to .346 before I cut them all to the same length??? By the time you do all the forming the cases vary a lot in length so you have to pick the shortest ones and cut the rest to that length.

That is pretty typical of case forming. My Sherman cases often vary quite a bit but I was hoping this one wouldn't be quite as bad as it is a much less radical change. On the other hand, ther is a lot MORE tooling work on this case which probably explains it.....Rich

That is pretty typical of case forming. My Sherman cases often vary quite a bit but I was hoping this one wouldn't be quite as bad as it is a much less radical change. On the other hand, ther is a lot MORE tooling work on this case which probably explains it.....Rich

Gunman.....just realized that we are not really comparing apples to apples. What I was getting at was your "chamber length" of the neck being approx. .346". What you were saying was the actual trim length of your cases was around .320". i.e. you have approx. .026" of room before you have to trim. Is this consistent to what you believe? Do you know what the overall (reamer) length is to the end of the neck? This would take away all the guesswork.....Rich

Does anyone out there have an unfired 375 case that they could measure the length of? This would be VERY helpful info.......Rich

I'll be able to provide 375 Ruger case lengths tomorrow. Both of unprimed Hornady casings sold for reloader's use, and of loaded factory cartridges.

Below are two drawings that I generated, following completion of some mathematical calculations. The first drawing shows the parent 375 Ruger cartridge overlain on the proposed 30/375 chamber.

Both drawings were drafted in the effort to predict the case neck length that would result if the shoulder on the 375 Ruger case remained at 2.180 inches from the case head, and if only the case shoulder and the case neck were reformed, preparatory to fire-forming in the chamber of the rifle.

30-375SICaseCalculations.jpg

30-375SICaseDimensions.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.