30 cal wildcat

Long Range

I'm trying to figure out how to build a big 30 cal to run the 230 berger hyb on a standard long action and mag feed it. I was planing on building a 300 win mag but don't think I'll achieve the velocity I would like to get them around 2900.

So I got to thinking about a 300 Rum but have decided the case is just a tad long. So what I have come up with is necking down 338 Rum case and trimming to 2.75 that would allow me to feed pretty well from a ai cip mag with the internal of 3.76 max prolly try to load around 3.75 over all coal. just to leave a little wiggle room.

I have no experience in necking down brass so I'm asking what would it take to do this. My thinking is just run a 300 Rum reamer down just a hair short like .090-.092 short check with a 338 Rum go gauge. And for sizing brass could I use a universal 30 cal sizing die, or shorten a 300 Rum fl sizing die or just use a 300 wsm die. I have no I have no idea what it takes to size brass down. Or would I need custom dies.

I would like to hear what y'all think about this or should I just stick with a 300 win mag I like the 300 norma but I already have custom action with a mag bolt face so that's what I'm gonna use.

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a .300 Ackley Improved Magnum... I love mine.

Forming brass is so simple. You simply load up some new .300 Wby brass and go shoot it. Out pops .300 Ackley brass. No special forming or extra steps during reloading.

Why not just go with the 300 Rum and have an extended mag box installed. I think that'll get you to right around 3.9 OAL.

I have a badger m5 with ai cip mags that I'm using for this gun. Just trying to find a case that will fit in 3.76 and feed reliable.

The 300 ackley.
Could it be loaded down to 3.75 over all coal and still acheive 2900+ with the 230 bergers. This gun will where a long barrel 28-30.

308/26-Nosler is of course my suggestion. I hope mine is ready when I get back from my trip.

Easy to neck up.
A little shorter than a 338 RUM.
Easy fit in 3.75 mag/box.

Even a 24" barrel should make your 2900fps goal. With anything longer I assume it to be a piece of cake.

Reamers were on sale at PTG. I'll have to let you know about the throat design.

The 300 Norma will fit your mag length and get you that velocity. My .30-338 Norma Imp is 3.61 OAL and runs 230's 3000-3075fps in a 30" barrel depending on the load I shoot.

I have a badger m5 with ai cip mags that I'm using for this gun. Just trying to find a case that will fit in 3.76 and feed reliable.

The 300 ackley.
Could it be loaded down to 3.75 over all coal and still acheive 2900+ with the 230 bergers. This gun will where a long barrel 28-30.
Should definitely be able to with a 28-30, and barely break a sweat. I shoot 210 VLD's in mine. Havne't chrono'd yet, as load development hasn't been finalized. But I'm anticipating over 3K for the 210's...Maybe higher.

I'm trying to figure out how to build a big 30 cal to run the 230 berger hyb on a standard long action and mag feed it. I was planing on building a 300 win mag but don't think I'll achieve the velocity I would like to get them around 2900.

So I got to thinking about a 300 Rum but have decided the case is just a tad long. So what I have come up with is necking down 338 Rum case and trimming to 2.75 that would allow me to feed pretty well from a ai cip mag with the internal of 3.76 max prolly try to load around 3.75 over all coal. just to leave a little wiggle room.

I have no experience in necking down brass so I'm asking what would it take to do this. My thinking is just run a 300 Rum reamer down just a hair short like .090-.092 short check with a 338 Rum go gauge. And for sizing brass could I use a universal 30 cal sizing die, or shorten a 300 Rum fl sizing die or just use a 300 wsm die. I have no I have no idea what it takes to size brass down. Or would I need custom dies.

I would like to hear what y'all think about this or should I just stick with a 300 win mag I like the 300 norma but I already have custom action with a mag bolt face so that's what I'm gonna use.

You might check to see if you can rebate the rim on the Norma case to allow a fit
on your mag bolt face. I did that years ago with a 378 wby case on a standard mag
bolt and it worked well. Dont forget the Norma was designed to be used on 700 Rems, although id personaly prefer a mark five with a larger bolt. With the larger
bolt you could also use the Lapua case. Question, why not just go 338? If you think
that 230 is gonna compete with the 300 gr 338 your living in dreamland. I used a
30/378 wby for many years w/a 36" barrel so trust me on that.

308/26-Nosler is of course my suggestion. I hope mine is ready when I get back from my trip.

Easy to neck up.
A little shorter than a 338 RUM.
Easy fit in 3.75 mag/box.

Even a 24" barrel should make your 2900fps goal. With anything longer I assume it to be a piece of cake.

Reamers were on sale at PTG. I'll have to let you know about the throat design.

How hard is it to neck up brass? Would this need to be done in two or three stages and then neck turn. I was think about the 26 nosler would be just about what I'm after but thought it might be difficult to expand the necks that much. I would really like to hear about how you go about that.
Thanks Doug

You might check to see if you can rebate the rim on the Norma case to allow a fit
on your mag bolt face. I did that years ago with a 378 wby case on a standard mag
bolt and it worked well. Dont forget the Norma was designed to be used on 700 Rems, although id personaly prefer a mark five with a larger bolt. With the larger
bolt you could also use the Lapua case. Question, why not just go 338? If you think
that 230 is gonna compete with the 300 gr 338 your living in dreamland. I used a
30/378 wby for many years w/a 36" barrel so trust me on that.

The reason for the 30 cal is I have all the parts for it. I was planing on making a 300 win mag but thought if I could gain a little I would assumeing it's not to much trouble.

How hard is it to neck up brass? Would this need to be done in two or three stages and then neck turn. I was think about the 26 nosler would be just about what I'm after but thought it might be difficult to expand the necks that much. I would really like to hear about how you go about that.
Thanks Doug

Simple....If you went the route of the .30-26 Nosler....You would first need 2 things. 1) .30-26 Nosler dies, and 2) new .26 Nosler brass.

Then you lube the new .26 Nosler brass and run them into the .30-26 Nosler full-length sizing die. Then you load your brass and go shoot them. Then you'll have freshly formed .30-26 Nosler brass.

Pretty simple.

Also, I had to get a new work desktop yesterday so I haven't finished transferring all my data to the new computer...

However, I took some time this morning and re-drew my case schematic for the .300 Ackley, and I don't see where you'd have any problems achieving your goal of less than 3.75" with the 230's, and still be able to hit 2,900 fps.

Thanks Doug

You will need to buy an expander die and a couple of expander mandrels. You should get a good result if you expand it two steps. First step would be to a 7mm and the second step will be to 308. You can buy a die an both mandrels for about $50 unless you get carbide mandrels. Carbide mandrels will cost about $40 each. I expect you will need to neck turn and annealing wouldn't be a bad idea either.

save yourself all the trouble and open up the boltface a bit and run with the 300 Norma Mag, Forster has factory made dies, brass is available from Norma and Jamison, and plenty of case capacity for the 230 gr bullets, no other case can match it in powder capacity other than the 300 RUM and 30-378 WBY, you can also get the Accurate Mag bottom metal and use their staggered 6 round mags or the AICS cip length 5 round mags,
that is the route I went except I developed an "improved" wildcat on the 300 Norma and it duplicates 300 RUM ballistics,

most important is the fact that the 300 Norma Magnum has proven to be extremely accurate out to 2000 yards, None of the smaller cases can come close to it's performance. It is the perfect balance in case capacity / heavy long bullets = performance !
If you load the 300 RUM to run in the aics detachable mags you will have to seat the 230 gr bullet almost past the ogive and cram it into powder space,
run with the 300 Norma Mag.. "It's the right thing to do " !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.