30 caliber "wildcat" bullets??

30-06 boy

30 caliber \"wildcat\" bullets??

i've seen some on this site shooting "wildcat" bullets.i've only used smk's.i checked thier site out.very cool.very informative.kinda like the rbbt and how it works.would like to try some in my 300wm.does anyone know the b.c. of the 180,190,210 gr slugs?has anyone shot them?performance?would you shoot wildcats or bergers?

Re: 30 caliber \"wildcat\" bullets??

[ QUOTE ]
i've seen some on this site shooting "wildcat" bullets.i've only used smk's.i checked thier site out.very cool.very informative.kinda like the rbbt and how it works.would like to try some in my 300wm.does anyone know the b.c. of the 180,190,210 gr slugs?has anyone shot them?performance?would you shoot wildcats or bergers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post what you find out. I have the same questions.

James

I am building 2 rifles for out to about 2000 yards and I am planning on shooting the Widcat bullets. I ordered 1000 each of the 325 grain .338 bullets and 265 grain 30 cal bullets these heavy wieghts should hit very hard when they reach the target with great terminal effect

Because of some hissy fits some people threw on here a couple of years ago Richard wont post BC's anymore, they were only computer guesses in the first place. The bc of the 30cal bullets would be really close to what you see in the VLD berger bullets. The big difference is that the wildcat bullets are built for hunting so they preform more reliably on game than some of the VLD bullets have shown.

The big thing that wildcat bullets offers is large for caliber bullets available for several calibers that nothing else is offered in, .277,.257,.284. The BC of a 195gr .277 bullet is nothing sheer of amazing, same goes for a 200gr .284 bullet.

If you got any questions on them just talk with Richard himeslf, his email is on here somewhere.

good luck
steve

I do not have any hard numbers for Richards 30 cal bullets yet but this spring I will be testing the hell out of my 300 Allen Xpress and 300 Allen Magnum and will offer all ballistic data I come up with here on LRH.

As far as estimates on BC, for given bullet weights you will see similiar BCs to those with the Berger VLD bullets. In some cases slighly less, some cases slightly more.

The real advantage of WIldcat Bullets is the range of bullet weights. I know Richard makes 30 cal bullets from a 68 gr HP flat base up to a 290 gr ULD RBBT. Thats 222 grains of bullet weight options to pick from, no one else offers anything close to that.

You can contact Richard at [email protected]

He is a hell of a guy and a great bullet maker!! He can be a bit hard to get ahold of sometimes though so be patient, he will get back to you.

As to the question on if I would shoot Wildcats or Berger bullets. Every one of my Allen Magnum or Allen Xpress rounds were designed around specific Wildcat Bullets and that is all I use in them for the most part. That is not to say some specific rifles will not prefer other brands of bullets because that happens with all rifles but I can tell you every one of my personal Allen Magnum rifles that have taken big game have used ONLY wildcat bullets and will continue to do so simply because they offer ballistic performance above anything else out there in many caliber choices.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have some 180's RBBT and some 168 FB coming to test in my 300 WSM for hopefully shooting a dall sheep with it in August. Richard is great to work with and has more options than what you see on his web site. The bullets I have coming are bonded core and I am anxious to see how they do. I shoot his 169.5 out of my 270 AM and so far I am still holding too high and holding too much wind!!! They are that good, it will change your style.

I can't speak to the b.c. of the wildcats (yet) and I have not harvested any game with them (yet) but the 169.5 gr rbbt with an open meplat with .010 jackets he sent me a while ago were nothing short of miraculous for my accuracy. I shoot a rem 700 vls in .308 win and when I put the trial bullets on my accuracy load for nosler 168 gr J4 bullets it cut my 300 yard group more than in half. The trial load shot 3 rounds into a horizontal group that measured 7/8" wide and 1/4" high. This was with a 10 mph cross wind. The j4 bullet were shooting about 1 1/2" triangle that was as wide as it was high.

I just placed an order for 100 of the same bullet but with a tapered jacket for hunting. I will be certain to report back both on load development and performance on the furry targets.

I have enough faith in the Wildcat Bullets to have ordered 1,000 each of the .338cal 325 grain and 1,000 of the 265 grain .308cal RBBT bullets and I am building a 300 RUM with 1 in 9 twist and a 338 Edge to shoot them in, both with 30" ABS Carbon wraped barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.