New 30/375 wildcat

Rich here is the scoupe on what I was trying to convey in an earlier post.

Gunwerks is having brass made by hornady for there 7mm LRM. This will be out in febuary so no forming of brass to get it there.

The 7mm LRM has a longer neck than the 375 ruger or the 30/375 wildcats Ive read about. So i believe this is what you are looking for.

Once the brass is out in febuary you can just buy it from Gunwerks at roughly $1.25 a piece. Then all you would have to do is buy your custom reamer and ONE SET of custom dies. no forming dies!

1. Run the 7mm LRM brass over your expander ball to go up to 30 cal.
2. fireform in your custom 40*shouldered chamber
3. Reload and your done.

once the brass comes out in febuary this is like taking 270 win brass and forming it to a 280 AI chamber. THis would reduce the number of steps dramatically and significantly reduce your cost of this project. If you talk to aaron at gunwerks again ask about there headstamed brass and not the stuff they are forming from 375 basic brass.

I think this is a great sounding project. Its the same reason im going with the 7LRM for my current project. fits in a standard magnum action with no mods, can feed from any mag with the long vlds seated so they wont push into the case. send a 180 vld at 3150fps sounds good to me. what your talking about sounds like it would push them good. I would think 79gr of H1000 would fit easily in that case.

What does this round do that 300 RUM won't?

What will a 30-06 do that a 300 win mag won't?
What will a 338 win mag do that a 338 RUM won't?
What will a 280 do that a 7 mag won't?

Some of us (me included) feel that a 300 RUM is an overbore and too much. It takes a 3.6" length action and magazine.

The 30/375 Ruger will fit in a 3.4" length action and magazine. I have reloaded for a few 300 RUM and shot them and find like most overbores they are finicky (YMMV).

I would not have a 300 RUM without a muzzle brake unless the rifle is at least a 10 pounder. With the 30/375 I plan on an 8 pound rifle and NO MUZZLE BRAKE.

The 30/375 will use at least 10 less grains of powder and hit a medium-high velocity for bullet weight, like 3000 with a 200 gr bullet (I'm guessing and hoping here but don't see why not). Do you really need to shoot a 200 gr bullet 100 fps faster?

Essentially it is a beltless 300 win mag Magnum, what could be better than that?

Actually depending on where you put the shoulder, case capacity is in the 300 Weatherby/ 300 Ackley area.
One of my 30-375 reamers pushes the shoulder back over .130" and case capacity of it is 93gr water, putting it slightly larger than the 300 Win mag depending on what brass you are using in the winny.
My 30 HSM has a water capacity of 97gr.
And yes what the 30-375 Ruger gives you is the same as the 375 Ruger, it works in a standard length long action. No need for a 375 H&H length action. While I don't think having a belt on a case hurts anything I see no reason for it in today's firearms either.

I have pushed the 225 Hornady BTHP up to 3050 in my 30 HSM Heavy Gun but accuracy is at 2950, don't recall if the barrel is 29 or 28".

James

Actually depending on where you put the shoulder, case capacity is in the 300 Weatherby/ 300 Ackley area.
One of my 30-375 reamers pushes the shoulder back over .130" and case capacity of it is 93gr water, putting it slightly larger than the 300 Win mag depending on what brass you are using in the winny.
My 30 HSM has a water capacity of 97gr.
And yes what the 30-375 Ruger gives you is the same as the 375 Ruger, it works in a standard length long action. No need for a 375 H&H length action. While I don't think having a belt on a case hurts anything I see no reason for it in today's firearms either.

I have pushed the 225 Hornady BTHP up to 3050 in my 30 HSM Heavy Gun but accuracy is at 2950, don't recall if the barrel is 29 or 28".

James

Woods...told you it would make 3000':D:D

Rich here is the scoupe on what I was trying to convey in an earlier post.

Gunwerks is having brass made by hornady for there 7mm LRM. This will be out in febuary so no forming of brass to get it there.

The 7mm LRM has a longer neck than the 375 ruger or the 30/375 wildcats Ive read about. So i believe this is what you are looking for.

Once the brass is out in febuary you can just buy it from Gunwerks at roughly $1.25 a piece. Then all you would have to do is buy your custom reamer and ONE SET of custom dies. no forming dies!

1. Run the 7mm LRM brass over your expander ball to go up to 30 cal.
2. fireform in your custom 40*shouldered chamber
3. Reload and your done.

once the brass comes out in febuary this is like taking 270 win brass and forming it to a 280 AI chamber. THis would reduce the number of steps dramatically and significantly reduce your cost of this project. If you talk to aaron at gunwerks again ask about there headstamed brass and not the stuff they are forming from 375 basic brass.

I think this is a great sounding project. Its the same reason im going with the 7LRM for my current project. fits in a standard magnum action with no mods, can feed from any mag with the long vlds seated so they wont push into the case. send a 180 vld at 3150fps sounds good to me. what your talking about sounds like it would push them good. I would think 79gr of H1000 would fit easily in that case.

Yup, I understand what you're saying. I just have to find out what the LRM spec is before I start grinding reamers and dies. I have a call in to Gunwerks but they won't be in until next week........thanks/Rich

Here's a 30-375R project I've been working on. Berger 30cal 230 gr hybrid target range report. - Sniper's Hide Forums

Excellent cartridge but somewhat of a hassle forming.

Before I got the custom Hornady dies (gunsmith sent em formed brass) I used 338RCM and 300RCM dies to get the cases to fit in the chamber for fireforming.

Now that Norma has the 338N out you might consider exploring a 30 cal version???

Is this simply a necked down 375? What is your neck length......thanks/Rich

One of my 30-375 reamers pushes the shoulder back over .130"

James

That would make the neck .383" (.253"+.140"=.383") long unless it needs another zero in front of the one to make it .0130" . Would that neck be long enough elkaholic?

Hey, I thought we were building a hunting gun here! Not a bench gun with a long barrel! Mine will be a 24" barrel.

That would make the neck .383" (.253"+.140"=.383") long unless it needs another zero in front of the one to make it .0130" . Would that neck be long enough elkaholic?

Hey, I thought we were building a hunting gun here! Not a bench gun with a long barrel! Mine will be a 24" barrel.

Yup, that would be long enough!:D Actually, I spoke with james the other night. He is a great guy to talk to and very helpful. Unfortunately, he and Joe Thielen, whom I spoke with today, (Hornady) have a little better shop than I have:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.