New 30/375 wildcat

Very interesting to see this thread. I know it's old, but it came at a good time.

I had never wanted a 30 cal unless it could shoot really heavy, high BC bullets. Then of course you either give up speed or you get lots of recoil and throat erosion.

Enter this thread.....very interesting. High speed, heavy bullets, and modified case that is big enough but not excessive, with a great shoulder angle to help with erosion.

Cool

I will keep it in mind for sure.

Dan

Very interesting to see this thread. I know it's old, but it came at a good time.

I had never wanted a 30 cal unless it could shoot really heavy, high BC bullets. Then of course you either give up speed or you get lots of recoil and throat erosion.

Enter this thread.....very interesting. High speed, heavy bullets, and modified case that is big enough but not excessive, with a great shoulder angle to help with erosion.

Cool

I will keep it in mind for sure.

Dan

Dan.....we are building another one as we speak. This is a sweet shooting round and is easy to form. The reamer is available so let me know when you are ready:D........rich

****, I just read all 45 pages :D, as this is a round I have had in mind to shoot 230gr Berger Hybrids out to 2000.

My goal was to be able to push the 230gr Hybrids to 2950, in a belt less, standard long action friendly COL, and still fit in an AICS style mag. I think COL would be around 3.625 IIRC, although Accurate Mag and Alpha Mags maybe longer.

How much case capacity do you think I would lose if I went with just a standard necked down 30-375?

Does Hornady have dies for the just necked down version? I called Ben at Hornady last week and left a message, but have not heard back from him yet.

Did you ever end up doing anymore testing with the 230 Hybrids?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure before I commit to this build. Thanks for the help.

You can push the 230's to 2950 or so; I've done it! You won't lose any capacity with the std. version but what you do lose is a LOT of neck length. This is one of the beauties of the SI. You also get less body taper and a better shoulder which will help case and barrel life. I can get custom dies for you from Whidden for around $200. Mine is the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. PM me if you wnt to chat about it and I will give you my Phone #........Rich

Rich, any more followup on shooting the 230 berger in this wildcat? How's case life?

I have shot the 230's at targets as well as the 215's. The 215's shoot the best in my rifle. I use my SXR's exclusively for hunting now.
The case life has been good so far and accurcy hs been exceptional.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.