New 30/375 wildcat

I've been thinking the same thing!! Even a straight 300 Norma mag not improved would be hitting those numbers just right.

I agree that would be a great round but more capacity that I want. I like to shoot too much and I already burned out a couple of Ultras.....rich

Yep, I forgot about the Jazz and the plain ole 300 Norma. I would be more interested in the Norma vs the Jazz. Less powder capacity and a little better barrel life. I was stuck on 300WM for my next build, but since we all remembered the Norma, going to have to go that route now.

Tank

Is this simply a necked down 375? What is your neck length......thanks/Rich

The neck length is .320 on my cases but it's trimmed back compared to what it was originally so I could have the cases all the same length. 2.252 nearest I can measure to the neck shoulder junction. 2.562 OAL. .511 on a sized case across the shoulder. 35 degree shoulder angle.

The gunsmith designed the reamer and owns it. If I continue on with 30-375RPR I'll have him chamber it again.

That would make the neck .383" (.253"+.140"=.383") long unless it needs another zero in front of the one to make it .0130" . Would that neck be long enough elkaholic?

Hey, I thought we were building a hunting gun here! Not a bench gun with a long barrel! Mine will be a 24" barrel.

Neck length is .375" on my design, don't recall offhand what it is on the HSM.
I also have a 30 HSM in a model 70 Win PF for hunting. I only shoot 208 A-Max bullets in it, best accuracy with it is at 3060 fps out of a 26" barrel. Picture was taken before I put the Sims recoil pad on. It also has a Schuller brake.

30HSM3c.jpg

Dropped this deer last year with it. The red spot wasn't my shot, someone else wounded it. He was coming toward me head on full speed one shot finished him. I had the scope on him from 600 yds out, finally let him have it at 75 yds.

2010WTc.jpg

James

Thanks James.......It was good talking to you the other night. I'm hoping to get this "neck" thing solved soon and get on with it:D......Rich

Re: New 30/375 Wildcat - Transforming the Parent Case

Rich,
I'm going to post my thoughts on the forming of your 30/375 S.I. cases from the parent .375 Ruger casing. Here's a diagram of the .375 Ruger parent case. And your diagram of the 30/375 S.I. case. [Rich - my calculations identify an error in your diagram. I believe your 2.114" dimension is in error. I believe that dimension should be 2.151". Paul]

375Ruger.jpg

30-375SI-1.jpg

First sizing step is to purchase a standard .375 Ruger full length resizing die. Remove the neck expander ball and depriming stem. Grind 0.020 inches off the base (bottom) of that full length die so that the .375 case body/shoulder joint is set back 0.010" to 0.015" (or set back to whatever distance you desire). Since this die will encompass the case wall snugly, the case wall should not collapse during this shoulder setback step. Grinding or lathing 0.020" off the base of the .375 Ruger full length sizing die will allow the shoulder to be set back without bottoming the die out against the shell holder on the press ram.

Next, purchase a 338 WSM full length sizing die. Again remove the neck expander ball and stem. Use this die to step down the neck on the .375 Ruger case neck all the way back to the neck/shoulder joint for .338 bullets. I think necking down from .375 to .308 in one step would collapse case shoulders.

Next use the custom 30/375 die, constructed to your final specifications, to step the neck down from .338 to .308, and to set the 40 degree angle into the shoulder of the .375 Ruger casing. Turn the die into the press such that the neck/shoulder joint is set back for the 40 degree shoulder all the way back to just shy of setting the case body/shoulder joint back. Without any setback of the case body/shoulder joint on the parent .375 Ruger case, I think the 40 degree shoulder taper will be achieved without case body collapse.

During these resizing steps, the case neck will lengthen more than the length that would be expected, because larger diameter brass case material from the .375 Ruger case neck, from the even larger diameter case shoulder area, and from the even larger case side wall are being swaged down to smaller diameters. Just like was posted earlier that the .375 Ruger case neck elongated by 0.010" when sized down from 0.375 to .308.

Following these resizing steps, I believe one could achieve pre-fireformed case dimensions of:
~2.165" to 2.170" instead of 2.114". 0.010" to 0.015" less than the factory .375 Ruger case.
~2.275" to 2.280" versus 2.260"
~2.600" instead of 2.580"
Case neck length of 0.320" to 0.325", versus 0.320".

This modified case design should provide slighter greater case capacity than illustrated in your design case detail. Mostly because the case wall/shoulder joint is left further forward by about 0.060". But again, I think the 2.114" dimension on your drawing is an error and that it should really be 2.151".

Following the first fire-forming to blow the case walls out to the Improved diameter, the overall case length might be reduced very slightly, but with the case shoulder jammed against the shoulder surface on the chamber, and only blowing the case wall out 0.005 to 0.006 inches, I think case length shrinkage would be negligible. The case neck length, which is your concern, might be largely preserved. And of course, the case neck will grow slowly with each additional firing and resizing cycle.

Any members with wildcatting experience? If so, what do you think? Will these sizing steps covert the .375 Ruger parent case into elkaholic's 30/375 S.I.

Last edited:
Rich,
Here's what happens if we leave the 375 Ruger case shoulder right where it is, at 2.180" long from the case head. Employing the 40-degree shoulder will push the case head to case neck junction dimension from 2.275" on the 375 Ruger case, to 2.290" on the 30/375 improved case.

If the case neck doesn't grow in length as it's sized down from 0.405" to 0.337" OD, then the case neck on the 30/375 would be (2.580" – 2.290") 0.290" long.

If the case neck grew 0.010" in length when the OD was sized down from 0.405 to 0.337, then the case neck length on the 30/375 would be 0.300" long.

Proceeding in this manner wouldn't require the purchase of the 375 Ruger full length sizing die for the purpose of setting the 375 Ruger shoulder back 0.010 to 0.015". But if you really want the case necks 0.320" long, then purchasing the 375 Ruger full length sizing die should do the trick, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ya, I'm thinking .320 should be about minimum, especially with the 225 grain bullets. I really do think your idea will work though. Since I'm not really worried about case capacity, I might even go more than .320.....Rich

If you've got a strong press like the RCBS Rock Chucker, I envision no problems setting the 375 shoulder back and elongating the working case neck length. Just put a cheater bar on the press handle and bolt the press down to a sturdy table. :D And use Imperial Case Sizing Wax!!!

If you've got a strong press like the RCBS Rock Chucker, I envision no problems setting the 375 shoulder back and elongating the working case neck length. Just put a cheater bar on the press handle and bolt the press down to a sturdy table. :D And use Imperial Case Sizing Wax!!!

How about my bullet making press that exerts 60,000 psi+:D

The only easy way to do this would be simply neck down the 375 case to 30 without moving the shoulder and that would give you a .253" length neck which I don't like.......Rich

I think the case neck length would be about .299" if the 375 Ruger shoulder wasn't set back at all. But using a 375 Ruger full length sizing die, you can shove the shoulder back to the extent that the base of the resizing die is cut back. The sky, or your imagination, is the limit... :)

gunman123 is ending up with 0.310" case neck length, so in reality, the case neck may be a little longer than I've calculated at 0.299".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.